• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink and Bots

20 posts in this topic

I have noticed that a few auctions I've been bidding on with ComicLink with 1 second left I have been outbid. well This happens so I didn't think much of it tell one auction within the last fraction of a second 3 bids came in all with the same time stamp. you can look at the auction history and get the time stamp. A lot of Auction houses have the bidding extend if someone bids under 2 minutes to prevent this kind of behavior (comicConnect). So I send an email to 3 different people at comicLink and didn't even get a response.

Why do they allow this an easy fix is just to extend bidding? and if people don't believe that there are bots and scripts being used in auctions your living in the past.

As a veteran sniper of ComicLink auctions, all I can say is no matter when the bid is placed, it's the highest one that wins when the bell goes off.

Never once used a -script or a bot, easy to do if you know your connection capabilities (like latency and round trip time). Can regularly hit with 2 or 3 seconds left. Never ever use wireless.

Don't get me wrong, sniping isn't guaranteed either - lost plenty in my time. All depends on who bid the highest when the clock expires.

I've also won with my tracking bids on a few occasions. Its still good old supply and demand at work.

ComicConnect and Heritage are whole different animals and therefore require a different hunting method.

Each hunting method has its pro's and con's - bid what you are comfortable with, where you are comfortable doing it.

Good luck dude!

-bc

Edited by bc
grammar failure #1,349

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

Fix what? Is something broke? Or just not to your liking?

Oh - it's definetely broken but some people like the snipe end time since they can get a deal.  It's not too bad on ComicLink since there are a ton of bidders and the late end times (at least in the East) has people putting in their bids early.  But sniping and sniping programs were one of the main reasons for the death of auctions on E-Bay in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, namisgr said:
28 minutes ago, HitThePost said:

Nope, it's definitely not broken. Extended bidding sucks.

Not necessarily for the sellers.

I hate the extended bidding also, but I agree its done for the seller's benefit, and some time ago Heritage switched its Sunday night auction...which used to have all lots ending at the same time (10 or 11pm I think it was) to the faux live auction format, but its worth remembering that in a real live auction every bid that comes in is meant to open and invite further bids...

Speaking for myself, the psychology of bidding is pretty complex...in the case of the "final countdown" style which Clink uses, I sometimes find myself bidding higher at the last minute precisely because of the fear of being sniped, whereas in a real extended auction format when the bids are flowing in real time I sometimes talk myself out of chasing a lot as I look to avoid getting wrapped up in a "bidding war"...which sometimes leads to regrets also... 2c

Like others have said, it's really simple.  Put in your maximum bid and you won't be upset that you lost, last minute or not.  I won two books last night (1 on purpose, 1 with a tracking bid) and I'm completely fine with the way the auctions shook out.  I would have liked to win others, but I wasn't willing to pay what that would have cost.

I think it’s a really complicated subject, as others have pointed out.  Those who say “just bid what you are willing to pay” are ignoring the disappointment which comes with having misjudged the market, and not having had time (even a few seconds) to reasses based on others’ interest.  As far as I know, ebay invented the “timeout” electronic auction format, whereas a true auction ends when the auctioneer decides there are no further interested bidders.  Having said this, I suppose the timeout format could be considered a form of blind auction format which was used for mail-in auctions and is still used for charity auctions and sometimes for the sale of big companies.  In short, for me, I think the best format for comics is Heritage-style live, where it is clear to both sellers and potential bidders that no interest remains.  I think this is fairest for everyone.

24 minutes ago, crassus said:

I hate the extended bidding also, but I agree its done for the seller's benefit, and some time ago Heritage switched its Sunday night auction...which used to have all lots ending at the same time (10 or 11pm I think it was) to the faux live auction format, but its worth remembering that in a real live auction every bid that comes in is meant to open and invite further bids...

Speaking for myself, the psychology of bidding is pretty complex...in the case of the "final countdown" style which Clink uses, I sometimes find myself bidding higher at the last minute precisely because of the fear of being sniped, whereas in a real extended auction format when the bids are flowing in real time I sometimes talk myself out of chasing a lot as I look to avoid getting wrapped up in a "bidding war"...which sometimes leads to regrets also... 2c

I like the term psychology of bidding.  End time auctions are almost always better from a buying stand point and extended time auctions tend to be much better from a sellers stand point.  The possibility of a bidding war regret is why sellers put their books up in an auction and risk it going low. 

19 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Like others have said, it's really simple.  Put in your maximum bid and you won't be upset that you lost, last minute or not.  I won two books last night (1 on purpose, 1 with a tracking bid) and I'm completely fine with the way the auctions shook out.  I would have liked to win others, but I wasn't willing to pay what that would have cost.

The problem is a buyer usually doesn't have a clue what their max bid will be when the book is going to someone else.  You could say I only want to go GPA and bid that amount but if it was extended you may go 1.3x GPA due to the thrill of the auction.  There is a reason almost no live auctions use blind auction format.  I'm sure it's been proven the extended auction format brings in more bids and more money for sellers or they would all have switched to blind auction format years ago.

25 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The problem is a buyer usually doesn't have a clue what their max bid will be when the book is going to someone else.  You could say I only want to go GPA and bid that amount but if it was extended you may go 1.3x GPA due to the thrill of the auction.  There is a reason almost no live auctions use blind auction format.  I'm sure it's been proven the extended auction format brings in more bids and more money for sellers or they would all have switched to blind auction format years ago.

All I know is my buying history between the 4 bigger auction houses with comics (ComicLink, ComicConnect, Heritage, and Hake's) tells me I buy way more through ComicLink than the others.  Some of that is situational, depending on books being offered, but I would imagine a lot of it has to do with the auction format.  The other three most certainly benefit the seller more than the buyer.

I think for some people your theory of upping the bid is true, but I'm rarely even in front of my computer when auctions are ending, hence I bid my max up front.

These auction houses have to dance around the line of which side of their customer base is more important, and I would think it's a constant source of discussion.  All I can tell you is it's pretty obvious to me why ComicLink gets more of my money.

I think sniping programs are good (for the buyer) and here's why...

There's a difference, a big difference, between winning an auction for what you're willing to pay and winning an auction for a lot less than what you're willing to pay. It's a good feeling when I set up my sniping program to bid $100 on an item, and I win it for $60.

2 hours ago, HitThePost said:

Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't relaize how disappointing it is. Let me console you for not knowing the market after the auction has been up 7+ days. We'll change auction formats to accommodate your lack of knowledge  doh!:tonofbricks:

Welcome to 20 years ago.

I bet you're really fun at parties.

2 hours ago, HitThePost said:

Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't relaize how disappointing it is. Let me console you for not knowing the market after the auction has been up 7+ days. We'll change auction formats to accommodate your lack of knowledge  doh!:tonofbricks:

There may be a market out there (certain number of people willing to pay a certain amount above publicly available sales records) that is unknowable until the final seconds of the auction.  So I don’t see the relevance of the “7+ days” criticism.  I’m also not asking for any auctioneer to change their format, merely stating what I prefer and what I personally think is fairer for seller, house, and bidders.

20 minutes ago, Heronext said:

There may be a market out there (certain number of people willing to pay a certain amount above publicly available sales records) that is unknowable until the final seconds of the auction.  So I don’t see the relevance of the “7+ days” criticism.  I’m also not asking for any auctioneer to change their format, merely stating what I prefer and what I personally think is fairer for seller, house, and bidders.

I think he was trolling you to get a response.

4 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

All I know is my buying history between the 4 bigger auction houses with comics (ComicLink, ComicConnect, Heritage, and Hake's) tells me I buy way more through ComicLink than the others.  Some of that is situational, depending on books being offered, but I would imagine a lot of it has to do with the auction format.  The other three most certainly benefit the seller more than the buyer.

I think for some people your theory of upping the bid is true, but I'm rarely even in front of my computer when auctions are ending, hence I bid my max up front.

These auction houses have to dance around the line of which side of their customer base is more important, and I would think it's a constant source of discussion.  All I can tell you is it's pretty obvious to me why ComicLink gets more of my money.

This brings up an interesting perspective. While on a lot-by-lot basis extended bidding may bring the seller and auction house more profit, the comiclink/ebay style auction could generate more revenues/profit for the auction house at the aggregate level since most buyers prefer it, and would theoretically be drawn to those formats.