• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off White vs Off White to White Pages Question - FF48

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm a new member and have a question that I assume will largely be subjective but I'm still curious to hear input. 

I recently purchased a Fantastic Four 48 CGC 5.5. It's my biggest comic purchase to date and I was really excited about it as a Silver Surfer and Galactus fan and I got it at what I believe to be good value given the current popularity of this book. ($1,150 via auction) 

When I opened it I realized I had overlooked a key detail. It has off white pages. I've done quite a bit of googling and it appears that this generally won't have significant impact on the resell value other than knocking a few bucks off the top. But how do people generally feel about a book from 1966 having off white pages? Does that in a sense make it more like a 5.0? Does page quality refer to the cover as well? Because I can't tell the difference between the cover on this and the cover on off-white/white pages.

To lend a bit more detail, it displays very well with no real visible defects and the small bit of white on the cover appears pretty clean IMO.

Thanks for any input. I'm feeling a bit dejected due to the page quality but am hoping to understand this a little more so I don't feel the need to sell it off. I was hoping to keep this for my personal collection for a while..

I prefer White Pages (pretty sure everyone does) but OW doesn't hurt the value for me. Would I buy a White 5.0 over an OW 5.5? Yes, but the cover is what's being displayed here.

I would buy an OW 5.0 over a White 4.5, though. I don't find many book below 5.0 grade that enticing, except maybe those printed in the 30's...

Its all kind of subjective, but in general a nicely-presenting cover on a mid-grade comic is probably more important than OW vs White.  But page quality matters differently to different people.

I've never really given this much thought, but does an OW/W designation mean that the pages have faded evenly and they're all at the same 'fade quality'? Or does it mean that the pages have faded inconsistently and some pages are OW while others are W?

Maybe a pq number (a la the old Owl Card) would serve better?

4 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I've never really given this much thought, but does an OW/W designation mean that the pages have faded evenly and they're all at the same 'fade quality'? Or does it mean that the pages have faded inconsistently and some pages are OW while others are W?

Maybe a pq number (a la the old Owl Card) would serve better?

Good question. My understanding is that the designation OW/W means the pages did not fade evenly. They are literally off White in some areas, usually the perimeter, to White in other areas, usually the center. A designation of OW means the pages are evenly Off White. Of course there will be tweener situations and I have no idea which way CGC leans. While I like the concept of an OWL card, it doesn't work across all genres/ages of books. 

On 11/5/2018 at 2:48 AM, Karl Liebl said:

i think its all bunk.  There is no way my FF 52 has white pages yet here it is.  Its 52 year old newspaper, its going to age.  Maybe the newer books with quality paper will do better....

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_701.jpg.83f64d53511d821bbd7b2b1b69d61fed.jpg

Do I understand this correctly ?  You are complaining, maybe challenging the page quality of White you received on your submission. You should resub it and 'hope' for CR/OW. BTW, the designation 'White' does not literally mean White. It's kind of like the grade of 'Very Good' which does not literally mean very good at all. 

On 11/5/2018 at 2:48 AM, Karl Liebl said:

i think its all bunk.  There is no way my FF 52 has white pages yet here it is.  Its 52 year old newspaper, its going to age.  Maybe the newer books with quality paper will do better....

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_701.jpg.83f64d53511d821bbd7b2b1b69d61fed.jpg

Yep you obviously got a mislabeled slab which is virtually worthless. I'll take it off your hands for 50 bucks.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:48 AM, Karl Liebl said:

Yep, it's old newspaper and bunk.

action-1-cgc-9.jpg

Edited by namisgr