• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unsolicited PM's about books for sale
1 1

96 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Kav knows that Justin is the gift that keeps giving.:banana:

Some day he'll return...some day.

3 hours ago, Beige said:

I recieved an unsolicited PM from a new board member with zero posts and no profile offering some very nice books for sale.

2 hours ago, Beige said:

I had a wanted ad for a particular book. He claimed to have one - and many,many more.

You might want to look up the meaning of that (bold) word. (shrug)

Ive been solicitated for books to purchase from me, but never like that.

Most of the time its hey I like that book would you sell it?

What you got in my opinion is a scam especially since the member has zero posts as well.
Unless of course you are looking for those particular books then the story might change.

Edited by fastballspecial

It was me and everything i said was true.  Am I happy with dealers? not really after all one did offer 500 bucks in store credit only for FF 13 to 100 plus a bunch of other stuff, not even a penny on the dollar!  That being said im sorry if i offended you.  I think dealers are great as a source to buy books but when it comes time to sell... ohh boy!  Im on these boards because i sent 3 books to get slabbed for the first time, they will probably just be wall art for me.  I am not really a collector since 1982 I am just trying to take care of the ones my brother left me.  Yes I just bought new mylar for the books because all they had was 35 year old bags and boards...

7 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

It was me and everything i said was true.  Am I happy with dealers? not really after all one did offer 500 bucks in store credit only for FF 13 to 100 plus a bunch of other stuff, not even a penny on the dollar!  That being said im sorry if i offended you.  I think dealers are great as a source to buy books but when it comes time to sell... ohh boy!  Im on these boards because i sent 3 books to get slabbed for the first time, they will probably just be wall art for me.  I am not really a collector since 1982 I am just trying to take care of the ones my brother left me.  Yes I just bought new mylar for the books because all they had was 35 year old bags and boards...

You can always start a Sales thread here. Curious as to why you chose, apparently, one specific Board Member ? 

12 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

500 bucks in store credit only for FF 13 to 100

what a rip off

17 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

He posted he was looking for the book and I had one.  I should have just kept my mouth shut.  I dont even have a PayPal account and got no idea how to go about selling anything except maybe in person.

you could post ad in craigslist with good pics and cash only and do deal at police station or other sanctioned spot.  

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

We are a jaded bunch here, but truth be told it's tough to just put all your trust in someone that you don't know. Many of us here have a history with each other, we know most here on a personal level, so it's much easier to deal with.

Except kav, never trust him!   He's too damn nice.:bigsmile:

Edited by oakman29

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

Hi Karl

As I said in my opening post,I deliberately didn't name you as you may not have been aware of how things work around here.

I also apologised in that post if you were on the level - which you obviously are.

When I got your PM about a book I was looking for 5 - 6 weeks earlier (and usually if a book isn't found in a WTB ad inside a week - 10 days then they won't be), I was sceptical.

Then I saw no posts,so no 'references', no profile, and you didn't have paypal.

That unfortunately set off an alarm,as that usually points to a scammer - and there have been people here over the years that have used stock photos, or even tried to sell books they didn't own - and buyers lost money.

I reached out to a boardie I trust, who suggested I contact the site admin.

I did and he suggested I post this up.

It's clear now that you were simply unsure how to go about selling on here.

I'd imagine your PM box (the flashing envelope) will be full of helpful people!

People like Oakman, Fastballspecial and Bomber-Bob have stellar reps and will be able to help you sell your books - so reach out to one of them, and they will be able to help you sort out paypal and help you get the best price for your books.

I hope you can see why your post was a bit suspicious, and hope you sell your books soon.

I hope you took no offence and wish you the best of luck for the future. :foryou:

34 minutes ago, Beige said:

Hi Karl

As I said in my opening post,I deliberately didn't name you as you may not have been aware of how things work around here.

I also apologised in that post if you were on the level - which you obviously are.

When I got your PM about a book I was looking for 5 - 6 weeks earlier (and usually if a book isn't found in a WTB ad inside a week - 10 days then they won't be), I was sceptical.

That unfortunately set off an alarm,as that usually points to a scammer - and there have been people here over the years that have used stock photos, or even tried to sell books they didn't own - and buyers lost money.

People like Oakman, Fastballspecial and Bomber-Bob have stellar reps and will be able to help you sell your books - so reach out to one of them, and they will be able to help you sort out paypal and help you get the best price for your books.

I hope you can see why your post was a bit suspicious, and hope you sell your books soon.

I hope you took no offence and wish you the best of luck for the future. :foryou:

Awe! :cloud9:

3 hours ago, Beige said:
4 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Hi Karl

yes and whatever you do do not sell FF 13-100 to some comic store for 'store credit'

Tell them wtf do I want store credit for I am not a collector and am trying to get rid of books, not get more!  I mean I could keep selling books back to you and getting less and less store credit until I am left with nothing but that doesnt really seem like the smart thing to do-

My brother was an anti pack rat and wanted desperately to dump the books .  He tried like 4 times bringing to stores throughout the years and it was always the same penny on the dollar answer.  That 500 buck attempt was the last one in Pasadena about ten years ago.  He got frustrated and gave up.  I got rid of all mine a long time ago like X Men 5 to 150 plus some other cherries.  I gave him a few of my last books to add to his.  Anything that didn't fit in a half box went into the garbage or was given away... like FF 101 to like 231 all dumped.  Only the under 100 and John Byrne books got saved.  Im glad he saved them.