• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Grading Codes???

23 posts in this topic

Good Evening folks.....I need some information and I am hoping you fine folks can help. I recently acquired a large group of GA/SA comic books out of Washington state. A lot of these books were purchased decades ago from Metropolis Comics and appearantly this was prior to them using the 10 point system.

They are all still in the original mylars with the original labels, but they have a strange grade code that I can't decipher. Instead of being based on the new 10 point system......most of the books are graded from say 28 to 37....and these are high grade books not VG's etc.

I tried to call Metropolis, but I can't reach anyone which means they must be closed.

So does anyone have a clue what the equilivent would be for these numbers?

37?

36?

36?

34?

33?

etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated hail.gif

I believe those are their grading codes, on a scale up to 40. I think if you write down every grade and split grade with pluses and minuses you get 40 steps or so. I have some too and anything over 30 was a pretty nice book.

Yes...most are between 32 and 37 and they look to be VF- and higher with some being from the Mowhawk collection so I new they didn't equate to VG's etc. I'll try what you said and see if it works for me....Thanks a lot!!!

So using your system what would a 28 be...I have one that looks real nice, but in numbering them from 40 down then it looks like a 28 would be a fine and this book looks much nicer than that?

PS

You know I just took it out of the mylar and saw some additional flaws when held at an angle so it could very well be a 6.0 Fine.........I think you have unlocked the mystery my friend 893applaud-thumb.gif

I tried to fill out the list, but only came up with 35 grades

I suppose you can squeeze a few more in at the top and bottom...

or a few more ++ or -- -- grades here and there....?

Maybe Vinnie or Steve will chime in next wek with the real answer?

M

NM/M

NM+

NM

NM-

VF/NM+

VF/NM

VF/NM-

VF++

VF+

VF

VF-

FVF+

FVF

FVF-

F++

F+

F

F-

VGF+

VGF

VGF-

VG+

VG

VG-

GVG+

GVG

GVG-

G+

G

G-

fair+

fair

fair-

poor

I tried to fill out the list, but only came up with 35 grades

I suppose you can squeeze a few more in at the top and bottom...

or a few more ++ or -- -- grades here and there....?

Maybe Vinnie or Steve will chime in next wek with the real answer?

M

NM/M

NM+

NM

NM-

VF/NM+

VF/NM

VF/NM-

VF++

VF+

VF

VF-

FVF+

FVF

FVF-

F++

F+

F

F-

VGF+

VGF

VGF-

VG+

VG

VG-

GVG+

GVG

GVG-

G+

G

G-

fair+

fair

fair-

poor

They sure do split a lot of hairs! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Good Evening folks.....I need some information and I am hoping you fine folks can help. I recently acquired a large group of GA/SA comic books out of Washington state. A lot of these books were purchased decades ago from Metropolis Comics and appearantly this was prior to them using the 10 point system.

They are all still in the original mylars with the original labels, but they have a strange grade code that I can't decipher. Instead of being based on the new 10 point system......most of the books are graded from say 28 to 37....and these are high grade books not VG's etc.

I tried to call Metropolis, but I can't reach anyone which means they must be closed.

37?

36?

36?

34?

33?

etc

If it is from 10 years ago is was PV - or pre Vincent.

Stephen used a cryptic code based on the one hundred point scale -

Take the number and multiply it by two, add 12. Now subtract that from 100. Use that number with the following number scale -

You must do these in order

0 -if the number ends with this then it has been restored

6 -multiply that number by 6 for the front cover 100 point grade

0 - for page quality,multiply the number by 3 & replace the 1st number w/ 0

and match it to the old OWL scale

9 - subtract 9 from the number and multiply by 13 to get the back cover grade

8 - take the number and divide it by 8, if it is a whole number then the

staples have been replaced

1 - take the number and subtract one, if it is an odd number then it is from a

one owner collection.

0 - drop the 2nd digit of your number and add a zero to the end. This will tell how much they were willing to discount the comic.

5 - mulitply the number by 5 and add 200, that will tell you the percent mark

up.

2 - mulitply the number by 2 to

9 - multiply the number by 9, subtract 20. This will tell you how long it has

been in inventory.

To make things much easier, take the numbers in the scale that I just put up there and do a Yahoo search. For instance,the number are - 0609810529. Put that in Yahoo and there will be the secret for the grading. Some companies will send you a more detailed decription but they will charge you.

I hope this helps.

If it is from 10 years ago is was PV - or pre Vincent.

Stephen used a cryptic code based on the one hundred point scale -

Take the number and multiply it by two, add 12. Now subtract that from 100. Use that number with the following number scale -

You must do these in order

0 -if the number ends with this then it has been restored

6 -multiply that number by 6 for the front cover 100 point grade

0 - for page quality,multiply the number by 3 & replace the 1st number w/ 0

and match it to the old OWL scale

9 - subtract 9 from the number and multiply by 13 to get the back cover grade

8 - take the number and divide it by 8, if it is a whole number then the

staples have been replaced

1 - take the number and subtract one, if it is an odd number then it is from a

one owner collection.

0 - drop the 2nd digit of your number and add a zero to the end. This will tell how much they were willing to discount the comic.

5 - mulitply the number by 5 and add 200, that will tell you the percent mark

up.

2 - mulitply the number by 2 to

9 - multiply the number by 9, subtract 20. This will tell you how long it has

been in inventory.

To make things much easier, take the numbers in the scale that I just put up there and do a Yahoo search. For instance,the number are - 0609810529. Put that in Yahoo and there will be the secret for the grading. Some companies will send you a more detailed decription but they will charge you.

I hope this helps.

The only thing that would be funnier is if that were true.

The red book does not give any premiums on toned coins, but there is an ever increasing collecter base for toned coins, and sometimes( depending on the grade,age etc) they will pay above guide for toned coins.

KARL

I agree...I would just give up if I had to decipher that type of code foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Heheh - what is funnier is do a yahoo search for the number 0609810529, see what comes up.

The red book does not give any premiums on toned coins, but there is an ever increasing collecter base for toned coins, and sometimes( depending on the grade,age etc) they will pay above guide for toned coins.

KARL

Agreed....a little bit of toning won't add any value...but rainbow toning on the right coin can make it worth as much as 10X-20X guide....and sometimes even more 893whatthe.gif

37?

36?

36?

34?

33?

etc

Metropolis used a 41 point grading system until around late 1999. As somebody else has listed, a 31 is a VF

30 = VF/VF-

29 =VF-

28 =F/VF

27 = F++ etc

working upwards

32 = VF/VF+

33 = VF+

34 = VF++

35 = VF/NM

36 = VF/NM+

37 = NM-

38 = NM