• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for modern portfolio sized should bag
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I got this new backpack after SDCC this year, so it hasn't been fully "battle-tested" yet, but I have tried it on and packed it up to fully test it when I got it a couple months ago. I always used a messenger bag for my sketchbooks and supplies, and my SDCC backpack bag they give every year for my portfolio and plastic top loaders for art. Every year my back hurts so back, so a friend recommended a backpack like this. It is very comfortable and more breathable than the plastic vinyl-like material of the SDCC bags so it doesn't seem like it will make you as hot and sweaty throughout the day. The straps are padded and comfortable and as I mentioned it snaps across the chest as well to prevent it from sliding off your shoulders like the other bag. But more than anything it corrects the one-sided weight of the messenger bag that always seems to wrench my back at each con. So for comfort alone, I really dig my new bag.

The inside compartment fits my con portfolio perfectly, which is a 14x17 zipper case portfolio (15x20 or so outside) that I used to carry but found myself forgetting or almost leaving without too many times. So it is great to protect the art but needs a backpack so I don't misplace it lol. It fits perfectly in the big padded pocket. The front pocket fits 9x12 sketchbooks perfectly, and the other pockets hold my sketch card blanks and there is a pocket for rolled items or long stuff too. So I feel it covers most angles and frees me from the messenger bag that just tore my back up every show. Even if not the one I am recommending, the others people are sharing seem good too. The backpack is the way to go.