• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for modern portfolio sized should bag
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I've been using a Start by Prat handled portfolio. They make various sizes. I found one that's perfect for modern artwork but smaller than most traditional art portfolios. 

They aren't every expensive and worth it in the long run. 

54 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I've been using a Start by Prat handled portfolio. They make various sizes. I found one that's perfect for modern artwork but smaller than most traditional art portfolios. 

They aren't every expensive and worth it in the long run. 

Do you have a link? 

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Do you have a link? 

I've been looking for it. I bought it years ago, and I want to link to the right one. 

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I've been looking for it. I bought it years ago, and I want to link to the right one. 

Sounds good. Might not be sold any more. I think that is what happened with the North Face bag I bought. 

I used to carry around a handled portfolio, but, just found it to be too cumbersome (plus, the handle broke, which was annoying) for conventions.  I bought a replacement one for near-by get-togethers and such, but, for conventions, I bought one of these last year:

US Art Supply Black Nylon Art Portfolio Carry Backpack Bag

Much easier to throw an Itoya in it and just wear it as a backpack.  Has gotten rave reviews from fellow collectors who have seen me wear it.  I have to admit that I was inspired by the backpack that Glen B. rigged for OA that I noticed him carrying around; it just looked so much easier to transport art to shows vs. lugging a handled portfolio around (it is).

Thanks all.  I went with the North Face option (sourced via eBay) but that US Art Supply option looks good too - may have gone for that if I hadn't already made my purchase.  The plus of the North Face option is also that I can use it for non-con related activities, though it's costing me twice as much for the privilege. 

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I used to carry around a handled portfolio, but, just found it to be too cumbersome (plus, the handle broke, which was annoying) for conventions.  I bought a replacement one for near-by get-togethers and such, but, for conventions, I bought one of these last year:

Much easier to throw an Itoya in it and just wear it as a backpack.  Has gotten rave reviews from fellow collectors who have seen me wear it. 

Stylish, sophisticated art-collecting-man-about-town......

Martin Pro-2 Art Portfolio, 17 x 22 x 3 Inches, Black, (66-PRO20033)

Lightweight plastic portfolio case with handles AND shoulder strap.  The shoulder straps makes it easier to carry and distributes the weight evenly.  Your Itoya will fit in nicely.  About $25 on Amazon. 

I bought a few over the years as they make great gifts.  Lol.

Cheers!

N.

shopping.jpeg

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

A FB friend recommended this artist backpack so I picked one up and it's pretty awesome. It fits quite a bit too. A big portfolio in the main pocket, 9x12 sketchbook in the front pocket, and supplies and more in the other pockets. It has comfortable shoulder straps with linking across chest so it doesn't slip off your shoulders, and it has handles on the side for when you need to carry it. I haven't had it long but so far, so good. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WLWRKJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

:gossip: Your carrying case is the fancier version of Gene's. Or is Gene's a knockoff of yours?  hm

I might have to test one out for oversized art since they seem to accomodate 18 x 24.  The reviews on Amazon seemed mixed.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

19 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Much easier to throw an Itoya in it and just wear it as a backpack.  Has gotten rave reviews from fellow collectors who have seen me wear it.  I have to admit that I was inspired by the backpack that Glen B. rigged for OA that I noticed him carrying around; it just looked so much easier to transport art to shows vs. lugging a handled portfolio around (it is).

9 hours ago, Madman1138 said:

A FB friend recommended this artist backpack so I picked one up and it's pretty awesome. It fits quite a bit too. A big portfolio in the main pocket, 9x12 sketchbook in the front pocket, and supplies and more in the other pockets. It has comfortable shoulder straps with linking across chest so it doesn't slip off your shoulders, and it has handles on the side for when you need to carry it. I haven't had it long but so far, so good. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WLWRKJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I am going to look into these. I have loved my North Face for many years but I have to admit the idea of being able to saddle it up as a true backpack is appealing. The North Face can put a lot of pressure on your shoulder, especially after a long day/weekend hauling port folio(s) and sketch books around. 

Gene, Dave - any drawbacks that you have noticed with these?

I once used a backpack called Studiopack manufactured by Designstar.  It seems to be a discontinued product.  It was big enough to carry an 18 x 24 canvas on stretchers.  It was nylon and slightly padded in the 18 x 24 pocket.  Among other features, it had 2 zippered pockets to carry tubes, a large center compartment to hold an artbox and straps to carry a easel.  Below is a pic of one I found online.

Since it is soft/foldable, when traveling or at conventions, I used it to carry 18 x 24 toploaders to hold the art. 

Here are the 2 problems I experienced.  First, at 18 inches wide with a hard edge (from the toploaders), it's a little bit of a hassle to navigate a crowd.  If you brush past someone, you'll get caught momentarily.  Second, a shoulder strap started to pull out.  This may have been due to me using the shoulder strap as a handle to carry it sideways, who knows.  I was wearing it once at a show and Albert Moy mentioned that he also had one and the strap was pulling out, that was before mine developed the same problem.

My Studiopack has been retired from use but I still have it to hold some art.

studiopack.jpg.c1dd3415881bcb758ba9a33a6b6ea825.jpg

Edited by Will_K

I remembered a third problem... The bottom edge of the 18 x 24 pocket extends past the bottom of the main compartment.  So if you were carrying something in the main compartment (which has a flat bottom), the Studiopack will not stand up.

Nice suggestion and review Will.  I rarely see you at the shows anymore.

It looks like your portfolio is another version of Gene's and Dave's.

I would probably test one out if transporting oversized art but not for attending conventions such as NYCC.  Walking the show floors are bad enough without a portfolio.

Cheers!

N.