• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non comic art from established comic book artist

10 posts in this topic

Anyone have any cool pieces of non comic book art from established comic book artists?  I was lucky enough to stumble upon this great piece from Nick Cardy. He did it while serving in WW2. I bought his book: Nick Cardy: An Artist at War to check it out and to my pleasant surprise, the piece I picked up was in the book.   Peasants harvesting horse meat. A gruesome reality of the time captured by one of the talents of the era.

ww2 cardy.jpg

This piece by Nick not only falls into the "non comic art" category...  more specifically, it was his personal art.  He didn't paint it for a paying job outside of comics.  It was something to do when the shooting stopped. 

I've often wondered what some comic artists will draw "for fun".  Is it still guys in capes ? 

I did ask an artist... I'll say he's a cartoonist, he's not known for sequential art, what he drew for fun.  He basically said he doesn't draw anything for fun.  He told me he was once with a bunch of other artists and they started drawing portraits of each other (or something like that).  And he's like "what the hell are you guys doing ?!?!?" 

Edited by Will_K

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I don't have any, but Frazetta, The Studio guys, McKean, Raymond, and Sienkiewicz would all fall into this category as they had/have worked extensively in non-comics illustration.

To extend the topic further, any examples of sequential comic artists dipping into fine art or gallery art?

Rube Goldberg, Coulton Waugh, Rich Buckler, and many others, I'm sure.  Artists that have multiple careers are the norm rather than the exception, I'd guess, if only to survive and succeed.

An interesting approach might be to examine whether any successful fine artists later became published mainstream sequential comic artists.

David

Austin Briggs did newspaper comics like Flash Gordon.  You can see a bunch of stuff HERE

Below is a huge prelim that Illustration House had at sdcc for some illustration art. What I liked about this piece is that although it's likely an image of a family of young girls walking across the page - it could also be interpreted as a time lapse of the girl growing older. Kind of lik that famous evolution drawing of man evolving from an amoebas to lizard to ape etc..

IMG_7762.jpg

3 hours ago, aokartman said:

Rube Goldberg, Coulton Waugh, Rich Buckler, and many others, I'm sure.  Artists that have multiple careers are the norm rather than the exception, I'd guess, if only to survive and succeed.

An interesting approach might be to examine whether any successful fine artists later became published mainstream sequential comic artists.

David

Feininger, but he also started as a cartoonist, not vice versa.

This describes about 3/4 of my collection, really. I could post pieces, but seems quicker to just post a link to CAF...

Hit the galleries for Kent Williams, Dave McKean, Phil Hale, Jon Muth

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=7723

If you want to see art by people who never drew comics, but were very obviously very comic-inspired (and cartoons, and surf/skating, hotrods, etc) check out Victor Castillo, Camille Rose Garcia, Greg Simkins, Matt Gordon, and so on. Not just on my gallery, but in general. I could name another 3 dozen that are or have produced really fascinating commentary on the world and culture, using some of the visual vocabulary of like-minded disciplines.

It certainly isn't for everybody. ;)