• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Encapsulation process and the machine...
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Im really surprised no one has made counterfeit slabs yet. Given how big the replica watch industry is in china, it would seem like someone would try to duplicate the slabs to sell fake or lower-graded comics. I don't blame CGC for keeping the  process secret. 

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Im really surprised no one has made counterfeit slabs yet. Given how big the replica watch industry is in china, it would seem like someone would try to duplicate the slabs to sell fake or lower-graded comics. I don't blame CGC for keeping the  process secret. 

How are they going to get by the certification verification numbers?

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Book switching has happened.  Another reason to buy the book not the label.

Counterfeit slabs exist, and have for years.

CGC does a good job of dealing with them when they arise.

Luckily, they've been pretty easy to spot...so far. 

My understanding, based on information I've seen from CGC, is that they have counterfeiting countermeasures built into the slab and the label, which they have successfully kept from the public.

Another reason to think twice before paying ridiculous premiums for "the highest graded" anything: less motivation for people to game the system.