• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the contents of Fawcetts Gift Comics?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Not too long ago, I purchased a giant size Gift comic.  It was without a cover but contents were in good shape.  I think it was the second issue.

I noticed that no contents are listed n the price guide or the Grand Comics Database.

A short list of what I found was

Captain Marvel 13

Spysmasher 6

Bulletman 7

Wow 7 and

Whiz 32

I think my identification is correct based on another issue I have seen.  I am wondering whether the contents changed.  It seems the printing was specifically for Gift Comics since there was no issue ID on the contents page as there was for the other issues.  What was in Gift 1 or Gift 3 ?  Anyone have a copy?

gift 2 ad.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, Robot Man said:

I don't have a copy of it. But, I would suspect that the contents probably varied. Annuals and giants were usually made up of over runs or newstand returns. Most likely the case with this one too.

The contents may have been consistent from one year to the next.  The first year of gift according to Rick in Slam Bang 2 contained:

Captain Marvel 5

Bulletman 4

Ibis 1

Wow 5

Whiz 26

There isn't a year between the issues which would make me think it is a random group but I don't have any info to say for sure.  I only saw one other issue of Gift 2 and it was the same as mine.

GIFT AD from Wow 9.jpg

gift 1 ed.jpg

gift 1.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Note that I am not claiming ownership of the bound vol or Gift 1 which is the property of the comic shop listed on the photo.  I just wanted to discuss the comics and see if anyone else can confirm the contents.

Edited by BB-Gun

12 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I always thought this was a very cool comic but have never owned one. How is it bound? Is it a glued wraparound cardboard cover? If I were a kid back then this would have been one awesome Christmas present! 

My copy has one great big staple that is holding the 5 separate comics together.  It is possible that the books usually have two big staples based on the placement in my copy.  I think the outer cover is usually glued on like World's Finest.  Comics seem full size and not trimmed like my Xmas comic was.

gift 3 ins bc.jpg

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

This picture and the above are from an ebay ad for Gift 3 and they show staple placement if you look closely.

Gift 3 ins fc.jpg

I think that first page is from Captain Marvel 16.  The indicia are missing from the first three issues, at least, so they aren't just remainders that are bound together.  My copy of Xmas comics and others that I have seen on Comic Book plus all seem to be remainder copies bound together.  A basic difference between the two, Gift and Xmas, and the content may have been different as well.

18 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks for posting the contents. Yes, looks like some of the other Giants I've seen. I'm more partial to the fully glued copies but with this many pages, the big staples are probably required. I assume the staples from the original books are still present in each of the books.

No, only the big staples are holding the comics together.

8 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

No, only the big staples are holding the comics together.

That's interesting; they must have trimmed the left side to remove the staples, applied the large staples then glued on the new cover. I wonder if this was an automated operation. If so I bet books exist where two of the same copy were inserted by mistake. 

7 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's interesting; they must have trimmed the left side to remove the staples, applied the large staples then glued on the new cover. I wonder if this was an automated operation. If so I bet books exist where two of the same copy were inserted by mistake. 

The edge was not trimmed. The book was assembled without staples in the individual copies but two big staples for all of the copies.  Here is a picture of the edge of gift 2.  I opened up the end that has lost most of the glue and snapped a photo.

Gift 2 edge.jpg

1 hour ago, BB-Gun said:

The edge was not trimmed. The book was assembled without staples in the individual copies but two big staples for all of the copies.  Here is a picture of the edge of gift 2.  I opened up the end that has lost most of the glue and snapped a photo.

Gift 2 edge.jpg

Thanks for shooting that. So from the looks of it; the folks at Fawcett planned these runs during the original print runs of the books making up the collections. That would suggest they were not remaindered copies but were made specifically to be included in these large collections.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, BB-Gun said:

The contents may have been consistent from one year to the next.  The first year of gift according to Rick in Slam Bang 2 contained:

Captain Marvel 5

Bulletman 4

Ibis 1

Wow 5

Whiz 26

There isn't a year between the issues which would make me think it is a random group but I don't have any info to say for sure.  I only saw one other issue of Gift 2 and it was the same as mine.

gift 1.jpg

I’m surprised to see the Gift Comics in a holder. CGC said they couldn’t slab my X-Mas, and I think they’re the same size. Hmm.

Is the page count correct? Didn't the typical Golden Age 64 page count include covers? If there are no covers the advertised page count of 324 should be 304 to account for five missing covers. Maybe they didn't include the cover pages in the 64 page count of these early books; however they count it on these large collections (5 x 64 = 320 plus 4 pages of cover = 324).

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

6 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Is the page count correct? Didn't the typical Golden Age 64 page count include covers? If there are no covers the advertised page count of 324 should be 304 to account for five missing covers. Maybe they didn't count the cover pages in these early books; however they seem to want to count it on these large collections (5 x 64 = 320 plus 4 pages of cover = 324).

Older golden age comics have 68 pages if you include the cover.  With the cover removed there are 64 pages.

64 times 5 is 320 plus 4 for the cover makes 324 pages.  You can get most of the Fawcett titles in a collection of Gift and Xmas comics.  The America's greatest comics seems specific for the title and the pages are numbered.  OK, no calculus or statistics required to explain the page number but I would like to know the contents of other Gift comics before I leave the topic.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, BB-Gun said:

My copy has one great big staple that is holding the 5 separate comics together.  It is possible that the books usually have two big staples based on the placement in my copy.  I think the outer cover is usually glued on like World's Finest.  Comics seem full size and not trimmed like my Xmas comic was.

gift 3 ins bc.jpg

I didn't mention before that this Colonel Porterhouse story is from Whiz 36.  The Colonel outranked Captain Marvel and was drawn by George Storm who also created Hangman and Bobby Thatcher.  I think the parody below is from Whiz 37.

46600836201_aaf5b150f3_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun
correct issue number

On 12/29/2018 at 9:27 AM, BarristerBaker said:

I’m surprised to see the Gift Comics in a holder. CGC said they couldn’t slab my X-Mas, and I think they’re the same size. Hmm.

Did it have an overhang?  I think I have seen X-Mas slabbed books before.