• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade ASM 4 - corner cut off

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Came across this ASM 4 and I am wondering how much a corner cut off from the entire book affects a grade would CGC rate this as incomplete? Also the seller is saying its a 4-4.5? how does the corner affect this grade?

Also how much do you think this would go for? 

s-l500.jpg

s-l500b.jpg

s-l500c.jpg

s-l500d.jpg

s-l500e.jpg

s-l500f.jpg

My reckoning is 1.8/2.0 for that amount missing throughout the book and that may be generous. It'd be in the sellers estimate if it weren't for the cut corner. No idea about the price, sorry.

all good thanks that's what I thought do you think it would get a incomplete notation from CGC?

14 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

all good thanks that's what I thought do you think it would get a incomplete notation from CGC?

To be honest, I'm really not sure, but someone here will definitely know. (thumbsu

I've just checked the story out online and it appears that there is a speech bubble and a text box in that area, so it may well affect the story, so logically it will be labelled as incomplete.

Wow. 

This is pretty unique.  

I think the best you could hope for here is a Qualified 3.0. As far as the price goes, it's pretty tough to find other books like this one to compare it to. This flaw actually affects the art and story, so my feeling is that it's a bit of a tough sell.

I hope this helps, and good luck!   :foryou:

You don't want to buy this book. Since that cut obviously would go through some pages panels, yes, it is incomplete. Out of curiosity, why are you considering buying the book? There's cheaper ways to read the story. If you are thinking about a flip, this is not worth the effort. (shrug)

4 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Wow. 

This is pretty unique.  

I think the best you could hope for here is a Qualified 3.0. As far as the price goes, it's pretty tough to find other books like this one to compare it to. This flaw actually affects the art and story, so my feeling is that it's a bit of a tough sell.

I hope this helps, and good luck!   :foryou:

Hey Lion ! I always thought a Qualified grade was invoked for serious but 'small' flaws. By definition, you are assigning a grade while ignoring the flaw. IMO, this flaw cannot be ignored. I remember a newbie lobbying for a Qualified grade on his coverless book. I mean you have to draw the line somewhere and I think this book is beyond that line.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Hey Lion ! I always thought a Qualified grade was invoked for serious but 'small' flaws. By definition, you are assigning a grade while ignoring the flaw. IMO, this flaw cannot be ignored. I remember a newbie lobbying for a Qualified grade on his coverless book. I mean you have to draw the line somewhere and I think this book is beyond that line.

Hi Bob! Being the eternal optimist, I always try to give a book the benefit of the doubt and offer up what I feel is a "best case scenario". In this case, CGC may just decide to give it a .5 and be done with it. It's definitely more work for them to Qualify the flaw and enter that information onto the label. But in my experience, they'll always try to do what's best for the book and the customer, especially when it's an early key like this one. I do agree with you that the flaw itself is impossible to ignore and should rightfully be given a .5 INCOMPLETE designation, but I've seen some pretty weird things happen with key books before...  hm

Edited by The Lions Den

That's a tough one! The missing artwork would be a deal breaker for me, but if you just want to display it, you could print the missing section and put it in a mylar. 

Many years ago, I sold a Hulk 181 at auction. It had a similar defect, the entire top right corner was missing from the entire book, about a 1 inch triangle . The winning bid was higher than I expected.  I thought the buyer overpaid, so I included a nice reader as a bonus. Giant Size X-Men #1. :bigsmile:

18 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You don't want to buy this book. Since that cut obviously would go through some pages panels, yes, it is incomplete. Out of curiosity, why are you considering buying the book? There's cheaper ways to read the story. If you are thinking about a flip, this is not worth the effort. (shrug)

Yeah I was just looking to fill in a gap for my 1-10 run and It was pretty cheap. but probably will stay away from this one. I was also just more curious about the cut off corners and what's everyone's take on it as I've come across a few of these in Canada in local collections and stuff and wondering do I just completely stay away and or to consider it if its in good condition and if a incomplete would pop up on it etc.. But I will probably more than likely stay away or consider its value as a 0.5 incomplete. if I come across a rare key etc.. 

Thanks all for the input and advise.

also do we know why there are comics like this with the corners cut off for the entire book? in a triangle too as I've seen this a few times already? was there a purpose? just curious