• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Avengers 10
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I'm excited to find this place. Hopefully I can contribute something positive and interesting to this forum! 

I picked this beauty up for cheap at an old book store while on a trip through north Texas. The owner had a wall of short boxes stuffed almost exclusively with 90's fodder that he picked up from a collection years ago (believe me, I dug to the bottom of each box). I filled some holes, so it was an okay find. Now, while I was digging, my wife struck up a conversation with him and it turns out he went to college with her brothers in the 80's. I should mention we were passing through the next town over of the college they all attended, but literally hundreds of miles from where any of us live now. While at the register, I heard him mention "the rest of the collection" that he had boxed upstairs. Ever the compulsive digger, I asked if I could see the rest and he hesitated and looked to his wife behind the counter. I threw in that we were practically family now, so what could it hurt? He laughed and said I could come back, but only alone (creepy). No joke, he led me to a room behind a swiveling book case/secret entrance! He only had a short box left because he said he had managed to sell off the rest. I saw some old Adventure Comics (I'm a Legion nut) that some kid in the 60's wrote on the covers. For some reason, he felt he needed to write when he read the books; "Read 12-18-63". I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. I have an autographed Secret Wars #8 signed by my ten year old self, but still... I pointed out the writing and he agreed to cut down the price; they were already the cheapest books in the box. His oldest Avengers was this #10 and I set it aside because he only had $100 on it. We haggled over a few other books and I was about to put it back in the box when I noticed the color was off. At first, I thought it was a misprint, but looking closely, you could tell the kid had taken a pen to everything white on Captain America! I ended up paying $25 and I think I probably came pretty close to value. So here goes:

911953952_Av10FrontCover.thumb.jpg.e345ffd8a0b37b292929a8a29f882cab.jpg

I know, scans! Something wasn't right on my scanner. I think I need some training, LOL! I have no idea what coloring Cap does to the grade. That was my big question. Outside of that and the color peel on his shield, I think a good cleaning and press would help the grade. 

209692843_Av10inkandpeel.thumb.jpg.68d3d47aa995ad714bed8cbaafa6436a.jpg

Close-up of the ink. You can tell it was ball-point and it made an indention in the cover.

1712972229_Av10FrontInsideCoverIndent.thumb.jpg.20b8d743b130c8dacdacc63b10b223ab.jpg

The indention is evident in the inside front cover, but not in the interior pages. 

2029450941_Av10FrontFirstPage.thumb.jpg.b6a0cad1a05c9efe98821da007c62667.jpg

The kid signed the inside of this one. There is no indention on the other side, at least. 

210091635_Av10FrontInsideCoverTop.thumb.jpg.c00d458d318e2e3ce18e8bb4509d84ff.jpg

There are lighter colors up top. Clean spots? 

251730214_Av10FrontInsideCoverBottom.thumb.jpg.afb285922f4eb232491f852e55ae687e.jpg

This water damage can be seen on the first page and the last, but not in-between. 

1750107734_AV10BackInsideCoverBottom.thumb.jpg.6700bd42f0e3d9f977802220f22abf02.jpg

As you can see here.

1871446919_Av10BackCover.thumb.jpg.c134fdf0855b27e67e55c5d29fef8ac2.jpg

There are three spots near the top right of the back cover. One of them still had dirt in it! Not sure how much improvement there would be with a clean and press. I think the indention would go away and the spots would fade significantly. 

792206489_Av10BackInsideCover.thumb.jpg.f77d3af76f689a56525f09f11f7c8103.jpg

Two of the spots come through the cover and can be seen on the inside back page. 

So what do you guys think??? Thanks in advance!

13 hours ago, Conacon said:

"Read 12-18-63". I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Sounds more like an "Arrival Date" than just doodling.

Arrival Date - The date written or stamped on the cover of comics by either the local wholesaler or the retailer. The date precedes the cover date by approximately 15 to 75 days and may vary considerably from one locale to another, or from one year to another. 

Here is an example of a written arrival date.

Avengers-20-GD-1-8.jpg

As far as a grade, IMO...

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

Thanks everyone! In it's current shape, it's not worth slabbing, but do you think it would go up a point with a cleaning? If I thought it could get to a 4, I'd consider throwing it in with all the others I need to submit.