• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy #15

13 posts in this topic

getting back into the comic book world

I'm looking to price an AM#15 witness signed / slated (CGC Yellow)  2.0 

What differences are there to collectors between signed (unwitnessed) vs not signed vs witness signed?
Thanks!

Edited by Kainzo

4 minutes ago, Kainzo said:

New to the comic world....

I'm looking to off load an AM#15 witness signed / slated (CGC Yellow)  2.0 

What differences are there to collectors between signed (unwitnessed) vs not signed vs witness signed?
Thanks!

CGC SS label is as good as gold. There is no better product.

Who signed it? This could be a big-money ticket depending on the signer. Potential gem/grail.

Edited by TwoPiece
Edit: Some people may prefer an unsigned copy of AF #15, but CGC SS is the gold standard for signed comics.

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

CGC SS label is as good as gold. There is no better product.

Who signed it? This could be a big-money ticket depending on the signer. Potential gem/grail.

Thanks for the heads up, I assumed it was, but im not sure the value increase on it.

1 minute ago, Kainzo said:

Thanks for the heads up, I assumed it was, but im not sure the value increase on it.

That's a good-looking 2.0 with a Stan Lee sig. $$$$$ IMO. I certainly cannot afford it. lol

If it had Ditko's and Kirby's sigs, it would definitely be a holy grail among comics. I have no idea what ballpark value this falls under.

26 minutes ago, Kainzo said:

New to the comic world....

I'm looking to off load an AM#15 witness signed / slated (CGC Yellow)  2.0 

Thanks!

I don't mean to be harsh about it, but your question is kind of weird.  If you only have a CGC SS 2.0 AF15, why does the difference matter to you in how the market treats yellow vs blue?  You don't have a choice in what you're selling, (or do you?). 

But the difference is:

A blue label appeals to a generally wider audience, as a lot of major collectors are 'purist' to some extent where they'd prefer not to have a signature or other marking on a key comic.

The yellow label in theory appeals to a smaller audience of those who are ok with or like signatures, but this specific comic will still have a lot of key or mainstream appeal, so I would expect to get more money for the yellow. 

Without trying to sound gauche, I would call a major auction house (Heritage, Comic Link, Comic Connect) and get this in an auction ASAP to maximize your profit.  Call them all and see who gives you the best terms.

4 minutes ago, Kainzo said:

Thanks, I'll have to go that route.

Do you know the ball park % of how much they take on the auction fee? 

Ballpark is between 15-30%, sometimes it depends on the hammer (or projected hammer) price to an extent.  For some big books/collections there might be a bit of negotiation you can do, I'm not sure if your book is big enough, someone else can chime in on that or you can just ask when you call.  But you should definitely call all three places, check the sales histories at all three places, look at GPA analysis (an online service which tracks CGC sales histories).  And do your own math. 

Other terms that might be of interest to you when calling:

- How fast you get your money

- Tax implications (for example maybe you want to sell in late 2018, maybe in 2019), maybe the state or location makes a difference to you (like if you live in New York you might want to take the book in in person).

- Who pays for shipping? What types of insurance, who pays?

- Guarantees

- What type of advertisement is done

- How many other of the same type of book are estimated to be sold in the same auction? (although generally they're trying to maximize their profit too, so they're not gonna put like 25 copies of the same book in the same auction, but it might impact how much they want your book or how much you want to sell with them if you have to wait)

If you look at my posts, last week I was getting "whats my grade" posts out, I had no idea the condition of Stan Lee or any of that.
I decided to make a move to sell for financial reasons, nothing more