• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 37 trimmed? NEW PICTURES ADDED...Opinions please!

19 posts in this topic

Just picked up a really nice looking copy of ASM 37 from eBay for a good price. It was advertised as UNRESTORED VF. Definitely a nice looking book...possibly better than VF if it is truly unrestored, but I have some doubts. The lower right edge and corner look almost a little too perfect...especially since the very top right edge and corner have just a touch of wear (like what I would expect for a HG Silver book that has been read a few times) yet from the upper-middle down it is razor sharp and looks untouched. I have no idea how to detect resto, so I very carefully measured the top part of the cover at 6 and 13/16 inches across, and the bottom part at 6 and 3/4 inches across. So there is a 1/16" difference between the top and bottom. Does this indicate trimming...or is it possible the book was cut wrong at the factory and just happens to have remained razor sharp on the lower half? My scanner isn't working right now, but here is a link to the auction I won...scan is pretty big so it might help those of you with more knowledge than I.

Let me know what you think...thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

I very carefully measured the top part of the cover at 6 and 13/16 inches across, and the bottom part at 6 and 3/4 inches across. So there is a 1/16" difference between the top and bottom. Does this indicate trimming...

Not always.

or is it possible the book was cut wrong at the factory and just happens to have remained razor sharp on the lower half?

Yes, this is possible. Many SA books were cut that way. judging only by the scan in the auction it's not easy to say one way or the other.

Howdy, Inhuman Fiend...no answer for you either way, but I'll back up what OldGuy is saying. The cover could very well have a slight natural miscut. My ASM #30 is a clean unrestored VF-, but has an even worse miscut which makes it wider on the bottom than the top (easily 1/8" if not more), and I've seen at least one other copy with the same defect. Tough to say on yours without a much bigger scan. I wonder, does the back cover edge give you any clues one way or the other?

"Horrible. VF- w/mnr clr tuch = CGG5.0 w/mjr restore. Refused to refnd. I Got F'd"

And this was the neutral feedback he got - 8 negs all from buyers . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK, I took some pictures last night of the front and back corners and edges. They are not that clear, but hopefully they can help decide whether this has been trimmed or not. I can't decide....please let me know if the pictures help.

Diva...of course I checked his feedback and the 8 negs vs. 500 or so positives wasn't particularly alarming. I'm much more relaxed about a few negs when the book I'm buying is a bargain and is not costing me a fortune. Heck, even if the thing is trimmed a little, it is a beautiful, glossy copy with barely off-white pages and vivid colors.

But I do want to solve the trim or no trim mystery, so please have a look at my somewhat blurry pictures and see what you think. Thanks!

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/9950/10010886sk.jpg

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/2851/10010892mw.jpg

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/7509/10010915sm.jpg

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/7774/10010924kh.jpg

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/2254/10010936wi.jpg

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/205/10010956pz.jpg

Hey... In your 3rd and 6th pictures, take a look at the right edge where the grey floor area starts...about 1/2" down, it looks like there's a small "bump" imperfection in the page edges where they jut out a tiny bit, presumably due to imperfect paper cutting. (I have plenty of SA Spideys with one or many similar "bumps" in the page edges). It APPEARS to me that the cover has that same natural "bump" too, which would make me think the right edge is NOT trimmed. Does that make sense?

It APPEARS to me that the cover has that same natural "bump" too, which would make me think the right edge is NOT trimmed. Does that make sense?

Yup, makes sense, and I agree, probably not trimmed.

IF,

Those photos add nothing to the analysis.

Diva...of course I checked his feedback and the 8 negs vs. 500 or so positives wasn't particularly alarming. I'm much more relaxed about a few negs when the book I'm buying is a bargain

I couldn't disagree more, but I'm glad you're happy with the book, as ultimately that is the ONLY thing that matters.

grin.gif

8 negs vs. 500 or so positives wasn't particularly alarming.

He has negs from 6 different users and positives from a little over 500 - it doesn't seem like alot - but considering how reluctant people are to neg, combined with buyers unaware that they've been burned - if as a seller you are picking up one or more negs per 100 feedbacks - then you are probably doing something wrong. If the negs are for things like slow shipping or shipping profiteering then maybe one can live with that - but if the charges are more serious then it is buyer beware.

"Horrible. VF- w/mnr clr tuch = CGG5.0 w/mjr restore. Refused to refnd. I Got F'd"

And this was the neutral feedback he got - 8 negs all from buyers . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

something smells . . . funny 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the way the guy's feedback keeps coming up. Of course I PREFER 100% positive feedback sellers...but again because it wasn't a big purchase and my max bid was low, I was OK with him having a few negs and was willing to roll the dice on getting a HG early ASM for less than 1/3 of guide. But I probably should have mentioned that I was especially inclined to not worry so much in this case since he lives in the same city as me so I can always track him down and pummel him if he tries to rip me off!

Anyway, back to the trim question...yes, I did notice that little "bump" on the edge that continues through the pages all the way to the back cover. And since I also have several comics with similar ridges, it does make me feel better about whether this was trimmed or not as that would seem to be evidence of a fairly common factory miscut.

If this was a more valuable or a NM range book, I would send it to CGC to get the final decision, but I'll still be happy with our consensus of "probably not"!

Thanks for everyone's input!

My only Q is, since he lives in Orlando, and BOTH of you think it's a unrestored VF (or better), then why not just drive over and drop it off in Sarasota? How far is it? 2 hours?

Members don't need 100% feedback, but when all your negs are from BUYERS and read like a rap sheet, then it makes me wonder - if you want to see a contrast, plug in my name to the link I gave you above.

Yep, Sarasota is only 2 hours away. But I've never heard of any available "drive-up" service!

Not to mention it wouldn't be worth the cost and trouble unless the book was a possible 9.2 or better, which it isn't.

And I'm happy with my 8.5 raw copy that PROBABLY isn't trimmed! smile.gif

Yep, Sarasota is only 2 hours away. But I've never heard of any available "drive-up" service!

Not to mention it wouldn't be worth the cost and trouble unless the book was a possible 9.2 or better, which it isn't.

And I'm happy with my 8.5 raw copy that PROBABLY isn't trimmed! smile.gif

Uh, you can just drop off any tier of service . . . and why don't you post some decent scans, so we can really grade it for you? 27_laughing.gifdevil.gifhi.gif

My only Q is, since he lives in Orlando, and BOTH of you think it's a unrestored VF (or better), then why not just drive over and drop it off in Sarasota? How far is it? 2 hours?

With gas prices today, a 4 hour round trip alone would cost more than the book is worth. foreheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif

I've bought books from major, very reputable dealers that turned out to have undisclosed restoration...and books from completely unknown dealers that turned out great. Haven't we all? I'm very aggressive about checking for resto, but if none can be spotted even on close inspection, then what's the worry. It seems possible the seller has sold a few restored books in the mix, but I don't see a feedback pattern to suggest an out-and-out scam artist (and not defending the seller per se, just don't know either way). Still can't say for sure without the book in hand, but it looks good to me. And a great price. Nice pickup!

I've bought books from major, very reputable dealers that turned out to have undisclosed restoration...and books from completely unknown dealers that turned out great. Haven't we all? I'm very aggressive about checking for resto, but if none can be spotted even on close inspection, then what's the worry. It seems possible the seller has sold a few restored books in the mix, but I don't see a feedback pattern to suggest an out-and-out scam artist (and not defending the seller per se, just don't know either way). Still can't say for sure without the book in hand, but it looks good to me. And a great price. Nice pickup!

Nicely said, but I disagree in part. If you don't know the provenance of a book sufficient to make the claim that it is unrestored, then you shouldn't make that claim, period. It doesn't matter who you are, a dealer or a collector. sumo.gif

Thanks Point, I'm very happy with it....paying less than 1/3 Guide on a VF or better early ASM always makes me smile! Perhaps in the future when I have an extra $30 lying around I'll send it in to have it graded and then let everyone know what the CGC verdict is.