• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Silver Surfer 4....

25 posts in this topic

Got this in today, my "big" purchase of the summer. tongue.gif It arrived a bit nicer than I though it would.

No creases or chips on the back, that's just a bit of soiling. Front has a tiny bit of color loss along the spine to the left of the "C and "G" in "Comics Group". Everything else is pretty clear. Pages are OW-OW/W. Let me know what you think....

SS4.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

SS4bk.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Just out of curiousity, what are you guys seeing to knock it below 8.0? The top edge halo creases? General wear? I would be inclined to say 8.0 in hand, after looking at the SS 1 pictured in the OSGG that got an 8.0 (pg 208 for those that have it). Same soiling, similar amounts of edge stress, and a dinged corner. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

SS4.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

SS4bk.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ok, here you go:

1) Light crescent crease TE left;

2) Staple rubs FC;

3) Color loss at spine near CG in price block;

4) Minute tear, with associated crease LE BR FC;

5) Printers marks along BE FC

6) 1/8" corner crease LR FC

7) Tiny tear TE BC;

8) VL wear UL BC

Clean up the dirt, and you may have a solid 8.0 flowerred.gif

Ok, here you go:

1) Light crescent crease TE left;

2) Staple rubs FC;

3) Color loss at spine near CG in price block;

4) Minute tear, with associated crease LE BR FC;

5) Printers marks along BE FC

6) 1/8" corner crease LR FC

7) Tiny tear TE BC;

8) VL wear UL BC

Clean up the dirt, and you may have a solid 8.0 flowerred.gif

Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

2) Does CGC take off for this? It's so common on squarebounds it's almost like a printing defect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

4) Good eye. thumbsup2.gif

7) Looks like a little tear, but it's only a tiny ding.

Both the staple rubs and the printers marks are arguably, to some extent, production defects. But they don't occur on every book, so they are deductions (whether they are listed in the graders' notes or not).

My ASM #121 (easily a 9.4, if not a 9.6) was taken down to an 8.5 due to printer spurs frustrated.gif

It's a very nice copy, I'd be pleased to have it in my collection flowerred.gif

Both the staple rubs and the printers marks are arguably, to some extent, production defects. But they don't occur on every book, so they are deductions (whether they are listed in the graders' notes or not).

True, though nutsac creases and miswraps aren't on every book either. confused-smiley-013.gif Then again, every squarebound is stapled in the same manner, so if there is color rubbing on one, and not the other, it would be due to something other than the production process and a defect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My ASM #121 (easily a 9.4, if not a 9.6) was taken down to an 8.5 due to printer spurs frustrated.gif

I remember that book, it was a sweet copy with nice canary yellow cover inks. Personally, I can understand CGC taking off for those (they were small tears and not just marks right?) but definitely not down to an 8.5. If hideous miswraps and GA printing chips aren't hammered, printer spurs shouldn't be either. Seems inconsistent. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe it's just BA (late SA) prejudice. mad.gif

It's a very nice copy, I'd be pleased to have it in my collection flowerred.gif

I agree with Diva. Since the printers marks don't appear on every book, I'd downgrade the book because of them. Also, it's hard to see how affected the spine is, near the Marvel Comics Group box. If a piece is starting to come off of the spine, which is common with these squarebounds, then the grade will drop as well. But, if you clean the back, it'll present very nicely.

True, though nutsac creases and miswraps aren't on every book either. confused-smiley-013.gif Then again, every squarebound is stapled in the same manner, so if there is color rubbing on one, and not the other, it would be due to something other than the production process and a defect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I remember that book, it was a sweet copy with nice canary yellow cover inks. Personally, I can understand CGC taking off for those (they were small tears and not just marks right?) but definitely not down to an 8.5. If hideous miswraps and GA printing chips aren't hammered, printer spurs shouldn't be either. Seems inconsistent. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe it's just BA (late SA) prejudice. mad.gif

Exactly my feelings on both points, and yes, they were tiny holes. cloud9.gif Thank goodness, I found a buyer who agreed with me, and paid full value for the book. acclaim.gif

You got full 8.5 guide? I have to hand it to you, I am impressed by the prices you realize. I always say "no freaking way" and I am generally proven wrong.

Actually no, I think I set a GPA record for 9.2 Guide on the book (but I'd have to check).

I've found that if you give collectors (with money) who want a particular book, the unfettered opportunity to purchase a high grade book, with full disclosure and guarantee of satisfaction, they will quite often just pull the trigger. And, be quite pleased with their purchase.

cloud9.gif

You got full 8.5 guide? I have to hand it to you, I am impressed by the prices you realize. I always say "no freaking way" and I am generally proven wrong.

Actually no, I think I set a GPA record for 9.2 Guide on the book (but I'd have to check).

I've found that if you give collectors (with money) who want a particular book, the unfettered opportunity to purchase a high grade book, with full disclosure and guarantee of satisfaction, they will quite often just pull the trigger. And, be quite pleased with their purchase.

cloud9.gif

You set the GPA record for 9.2 with an 8.5?!? 27_laughing.gif You take consignments? 27_laughing.gif