• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Marvel Covers & Grading

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have an ASM #800 Dell'Otto Virgin Variant in very nice condition other than two very small tears - at the top and bottom of the cover (side where the staples are).

I have read and seen that huge numbers of the ASM #800 were like this due to the poor Marvel cover paper quality and the size of the book.

I didn't pay a ridiculous price for it and the store that provided it (my normal modern book supplier) indicated that as it effected so many copies that CGC will not be taking this defect into account.  Not sure I believe that, but wondered how harsh CGC are about common defects.  It looks a 9.8 on all counts other than the two tears.

Any thoughts...?

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I would contact CGC directly and ask them. It is true that, if a defect is common among an issue, that they don't consider it a "defect" because of typical manufacturing condition.

CGC will say send it in and we'll look at it, they don't give grading advice over the phone.

1 hour ago, Chudders said:

Hi All,

I have an ASM #800 Dell'Otto Virgin Variant in very nice condition other than two very small tears - at the top and bottom of the cover (side where the staples are).

I have read and seen that huge numbers of the ASM #800 were like this due to the poor Marvel cover paper quality and the size of the book.

I didn't pay a ridiculous price for it and the store that provided it (my normal modern book supplier) indicated that as it effected so many copies that CGC will not be taking this defect into account.  Not sure I believe that, but wondered how harsh CGC are about common defects.  It looks a 9.8 on all counts other than the two tears.

Any thoughts...?

I don't think we will be able to tell you how CGC will grade your book, especially without any pics. As with all flaws, it depends on the severity of the flaw. Tears are tough because they can get bigger. What may be small (your opinion) now may morph into something bigger by the time the graders see it.  If CGC does see this flaw a lot on this issue, I suspect your book would have to be otherwise perfect and compare favorably to other copies they've seen to even have a chance at consideration for a 9.8. IMO, it's still a flaw and should be downgraded. Ask yourself if you would be happy purchasing this book as a 9.8, paying the 9.8 premium. Also, there is no way your store should claim CGC will give it a pass. You can contact CGC but I suspect they will say they need to see the book = you will have to send it in to get graded. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

CGC will say send it in and we'll look at it, they don't give grading advice over the phone.

Won't CGC tell the consumer if a manufacturing defect does not affect grading..? This isn't "grading advice"... It's asking for their grading standard regarding this issue...

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Won't CGC tell the consumer if a manufacturing defect does not affect grading..? This isn't "grading advice"... It's asking for their grading standard regarding this issue...

Read my comment to the OP above. Without seeing the book in hand, they won't comment. It's not a simple yes or no answer,  As with all flaws, it depends on the severity and the condition of the rest of the book. It may be, in some cases, they will consider the flaw bindery and in other cases, because of the severity, they will not ignore it.  

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Read my comment to the OP above. Without seeing the book in hand, they won't comment. It's not a simple yes or no answer,  As with all flaws, it depends on the severity and the condition of the rest of the book. It may be, in some cases, they will consider the flaw bindery and in other cases, because of the severity, they will not ignore it.  

Makes sense. Thanks for elaborating.

I never found a single issue in the Diamond boxes that didn't have some tearing on the spine corners for #800. I have 5 different graded copies of this book. The 2 Ditkos were 9.8, the Ross regular & virgin were 9.8, the Dell'Otto virgin 9.6. The 9.6 I believe had a thumb indent on it. 

Do you guys typically get new books pressed?  I can see why someone would for an obvious indent or fold, but given the potential price differences for a 9.8 over a 9.6 is it worth doing as a matter of routine.  If a tiny defect you haven't seen can reduce the grade do you typically do it just in case?