• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade my tanned Archie 65

24 posts in this topic

I just couldn't pass this one up. How harsh with the tanning/foxing hit the grade? After press the spine roll should improve so if you want to give before and after guesses I would like that as well. That is not a tear on the back cover, just discoloration. Only gpa is a 7.0 so not much help there but I would be slabbing it for the presentation.

Ds7qWgvW0AI105_.jpgDs7qWgxXcAE4wzD.jpg

"The Mirth of a Nation"

Ds8nCIDXcAEGhuR.jpg

Edited by Bird

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

It is my personal opinion that this book should not be slabbed. It would be very easy to find a nicer copy worth slabbing that won't break the ol' bank.

Great reader though!

Thanks. I am new to these older books so knowing that helps. But I still like getting the grade opinions as they help me with my own grading so  so much.

I thought it might get to 5.0 so that shows how off I am. Not too far, but not too close either!

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

How secure are the staples? Any brittleness of pages, or cover, Bird?

Not brittle at all. The staples are fully attached. I added apicture of the spine to the first post, it is intact all the way. Looks like a book that just sat there unbagged forever.

3 hours ago, faster friends said:

3.5 before and 4.0/4.5 after

That's exactly where I'm at.  4.5 is possible if the grading team is in a good mood.  The pressing will definitely help.

Have you considered having it pressed, and then evaluating whether you want to slab?  (It helps if you have a good presser local to you).

3 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

That's exactly where I'm at.  4.5 is possible if the grading team is in a good mood.  The pressing will definitely help.

Have you considered having it pressed, and then evaluating whether you want to slab?  (It helps if you have a good presser local to you).

I am not sure that I will have it pressed but I am glad to know what the general range is. 

5 hours ago, Bird said:

no spine splits. Thanks for the opinion.

Okay thanks. It's the edges and spine (especially near the staples and the front cover spine that looked split) that really got me.

I just sense a bit too much borderline shabbiness of those edges/spine even with a press to push it into the 4.0 range.

FWIW.

8 hours ago, Bird said:

I thought it might get to 5.0 so that shows how off I am.

I think the tanning would sink that possibility.

But if you do find one in 5.0 or greater, then you're in slabbing territory. 

I'm not saying that I don't own tons of Archie 'rags,' but not this late in the run. Around issues 60-100 is where they start to become a little more common in 'acceptable' grades. 

Great start to an Archie 1-100 run though ....:whistle::popcorn:(:

4 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

I think the tanning would sink that possibility.

But if you do find one in 5.0 or greater, then you're in slabbing territory. 

I'm not saying that I don't own tons of Archie 'rags,' but not this late in the run. Around issues 60-100 is where they start to become a little more common in 'acceptable' grades. 

Great start to an Archie 1-100 run though ....:whistle::popcorn:(:

Is this a Harry Lucey cover? 

3 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

Only 4 on the CGC census. Tried to find a slabbed image, no luck.

yeah I was looking around as well. I know that I have been drawn to some others that were Harry Lucey so I wondered about this one.

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

Around issues 60-100 is where they start to become a little more common in 'acceptable' grades. 

Not sure if that’s true as I think they’re pretty rare in any grade. Hopefully some recent price gains for Archie will prove you right and shake some higher grades out. 

Think you’ve got a 4.0 there and pretty sure it’s worth getting graded.