• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM JIM 85... grade in... yowza!!!

34 posts in this topic

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm leaning toward 6.0...

If that is a crease through the "Y" of journey, maybe more 5.0

Looks more like a scrape than a bend or crease so maybe 5.5.

That's an awesome book congrats! My LCS seems to only get in 2.5 to 3.0's of that book.... @oldrover

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Looks more like a scrape than a bend or crease so maybe 5.5.

That's an awesome book congrats! My LCS seems to only get in 2.5 to 3.0's of that book.... @oldrover

Wow... that 'scrape' (on the "N", I assume you meant)...you would almost NEVER see with the naked eye unless you were looking specifically for it. I'm looking at it (for it? LOL) now, and it's almost not there depending on the angle.

EDIT: Man, if this is only a 5.5, my TOS39 I posted can't possibly be a 5.5... dag-nabbit. .

Edited by oldrover

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Wow... that 'scrape' (on the "N", I assume you meant)...you would almost NEVER see with the naked eye unless you were looking specifically for it. I'm looking at it (for it? LOL) now, and it's almost not there depending on the angle.

lol i meant the y of mystery...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

lol i meant the y of mystery...

There are a couple of scrapes through "never before has thor"

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

There are a couple of scrapes through "never before has thor"

They're really not the downgraders due to other factors but the accumulation keep it from 7.0 imo :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Yeah... those are much more visible to the naked eye than the "N".

I would agree with 6.0 with a plus or minus either way, but the scrapes keep it from 7.0, I'm just not sure by how much :$

16 minutes ago, oldrover said:

EDIT: Man, if this is only a 5.5, my TOS39 I posted can't possibly be a 5.5... dag-nabbit. .

O misspoke and was to critical, I'm on my phone and zoomed in...

I'd rest at 6.5/6.0

lol

This is why I dislike doing this @oldrover because I can be wrong. :shy:

we all usually learn together, and post back when graded.  :foryou:

I was trying to get too exact, I wouldn't sweat it ^^

that's why I enjoy the grading contest in March, no one sees your guesses... but this is like trial by fire :headbang:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

The press is a good idea, right? Mainly because of the top edge?

It would present nicer, i haven't got but 2 books ever pressed, I wouldn't know if it would get you to 7.0 to press the top edge....

Of course the scrapes etc would still be there, but it's possible to get at 7.0...

Just do the cost for grade bump analysis...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol

This is why I dislike doing this @oldrover because I can be wrong. :shy:

we all usually learn together, and post back when graded.  :foryou:

I was trying to get too exact, I wouldn't sweat it ^^

that's why I enjoy the grading contest in March, no one sees your guesses... but this is like trial by fire :headbang:

I am not sweating it at all, dude, and neither should you. :)Whatever CGC gives it will be the grade, and nothing we say here will affect that one way or the other. I'm just getting back into this as I prep stuff for selling (eventually), and really appreciate the feedback here on grading. Actually, it helps me most on marginal comics... "to slab or not to slab, that is the question". LOL

(slight detour)

Hey, I'm just glad I actually BOUGHT this comic. And I vividly recall the circumstances. It was an eBay auction back in 2002.

I remember it so well because I never was much into Thor, but thought, what the heck, I should own some key issues. So I bid on and won JIM84, 85, 86, Annual 1, and Thor 126 with Hercules... all in this level condition or maybe better... instant keys collection... in one auction... for around the cost of a used iPhone 6. LOL That plus my restored JIM83 (now a CGC 8.0 PLOD, also chronicled here) was the sum total of my Thor "collection".  ;)

(okay, back on track)

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I am not sweating it at all, dude, and neither should you. :)Whatever CGC gives it will be the grade, and nothing we say here will affect that one way or the other. I'm just getting back into this as I prep stuff for selling (eventually), and really appreciate the feedback here on grading. Actually, it helps me most on marginal comics... "to slab or not to slab, that is the question". LOL

(slight detour)

Hey, I'm just glad I actually BOUGHT this comic. And I vividly recall the circumstances. It was an eBay auction back in 2002.

I remember it so well because I never was much into Thor, but thought, what the heck, I should own some key issues. So I bid on and won JIM84, 85, 86, Annual 1, and Thor 126 with Hercules... all in this level condition or maybe better... instant keys collection... in one auction... for around the cost of a used iPhone 6. LOL That plus my restored JIM83 (now a CGC 8.0 PLOD, also chronicled here) was the sum total of my Thor "collection".  ;)

(okay, back on track)

That's a sweet aquisition!  Books with stories ^^

But ya I think 7.0 is a possibility if pressed, which may be a small bump, but with cost vs value might be worth it on the long run!

That way you never have to wonder what if? lol

And you'd only have paid once ;)