• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICLOTTO :: PLAY ONLINE TODAY!

38 posts in this topic

Surely no one is falling for this scam, are they?

Rather harsh comment for a person (comicwiz) that is reputable and has come up with a novel idea for people to actually win a book far exceeding their investment while virtually being guarenteed to get a book on par with your investment... wink.gif

Sorry, I'm just very skeptical when it comes to schemes like this. Usually, the originator has much to gain, which makes me weary. I know someone who quotes, "The lottery is played by people who can't do math."

Skepticism for any new idea is a normal reaction. With our hobby, the introduction of any new idea is usually met with distrust and occasional hostility.

I have been a regular customer at Paradise Comics for over a decade. I travel down to help Peter at the Paradise booth at many conventions and I am the co-organizer/promoter of Paradise Comics Conventions. However, I am not a Paradise Comics employee. I have gotten to know Joe Fiore (ComicWiz) personally and I have seen the Comic Lotto program in action when I drop by the store.

The Comic Lotto program is not a scam. In fact, Joe has gone out of his way to ensure that the program is completely ethical and fair to all participants. I've talked with Joe about at the store and by e-mail and he's been very open to input and all criticisms - be they fair or not - so that the CL is seen as being a fair and honest operation. Too many people have been burned by scams in the past.

In my mind, what it comes down to is this: DO YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE OR NOT.

If you don't then DON'T. Don't start making allegations of impropriety without evidence. If you consider those that do participate as suckers, then that's your opinion. I don't buy regular lottery tickets, but I have nothing against the people that do. We live in relatively free countries.

If you are hesitant, then gauge the reactions of those that have ACTUALLY participated and then decide. I haven't seen or heard of any complaints yet. I bought tickets for the first one (FYI I am not a Paradise employee so I am allowed to do so) and got a decent selection of low-to-mid-grade silver age books in my drawing so I don't feel scammed in any way. But that's just me.

Has anyone actually had a NEGATIVE experience with Comic Lotto or are we just back to whining and making allegations about things we don't really know about again?

And IMO having a link to his website as an attachment to his posts is NOT spam.

Kev

>>And IMO having a link to his website as an attachment to his posts is NOT spam.

Well what do you call this thread? Check out the title before replying...

And the seventy others that Wiz has posted on here, many of which have already been deleted, some soon after posting?

You ALL know I'm not referring to Sig lines, but to blatant, consistent, and highly irritating attempts by Wiz to flood these forums with threads based on Comic Lotto, linking to Comic Lotto, or disguised threads located at, and linking to, Comic Lotto.

It's a free country, so play Comic Lotto if you want - it's the constant influx of Comic Lotto-Forum SPAM that should be stopped.

Unlike yourself I don't have hours to reply to every thread and the other thread on which you have been so vocal, Joe/CW brought up the latest issue of Scoop. When I hit the link I went to the Scoop page - I didn't get any pop-ups, et al. so the only advertizing I came across was the link in his signature

Since he is an active participant on these forums he wants to talk about it. He wants you to know who the winners are because you complained about the fact that the winner's names might be kept secret. He's also trying to get people interested in participating - yes, it's free advertizing.

I ignore most ads, I don't sit around complaining about them.

He says he'll keep it to the marketplace section, I believe it.

Kev

He wants you to know who the winners are because you complained about the fact that the winner's names might be kept secret.

Sometimes around here, it's damned it you do, damned it you don't!!

Paid too much for a book? -> You're an ignorant sheep [!@#%^&^] (yourinating) away your kid's college funds and you'll never be able to sell it for more than you paid for it and I know that's why you bought it in the first place since the only reason people buy high-priced comics is for investments and it's people like you that will bring an end to comic book collecting because once you realize you will never be able to make money investing in comic books you will leave the hobby forever! mad.gif

Paid too little for a book? -> You're a dealer/scammer low-baller just like that basement-dwelling sociopath Chuck who are depriving little old ladies of a nice retirement and now how will they ever be able to afford their medicine and it's people like you that will bring an end to the comic book collecting hobby since people who bought their comic books for investments will get burned when they try to re-sell and that leaves no one left! mad.gif

>>When I hit the link I went to the Scoop page

Nope, you went to the Comic Lotto site.

>>He's also trying to get people interested in participating - yes, it's free advertizing.

Hey, you can stick up for your friends all you like, no matter if their behavior is totally against the forum rules against SPAM. I guess since it's The Wiz, it's totally alright for him and Comic Lotto to flaunt the rules and SPAM the forums?

I'm sure you'd have a different opinion if some Dealer X was constantly posting sales, links to his site, and other SPAM in the General and non-MarketPlace forums.

Maybe I'll invite a few noted EBay spammers on here and see how you like it, or how long CGC allows the threads to last.

Line up and be counted Banner:

1) I like the Comic Lotto marketing posts (SPAM) and would appreciate more vendors doing the same.

2) I like the forums rules against marketing (SPAM) messages in non-Marketplace forums.

I don't particiate in the Comic lotto, probably don't really care for all the threads on it..but obviously there are people who play it and are interested so..it's probably interesting to them.

Brian

Yeah, but why should forum threads in General that promote other sales or business-related functions (such as gman posting his auctions here - as he regularly does grin.gif) get immediately deleted by Arch, yet Comic Lotto threads be immune?

There seems to be a double-standard here, and that's what bugs me the most. Comic Lotto SPAM is alright, but any other SPAM (irregardless if it of interest to other forum members or not) is summarily deleted.

There is absolutely no difference in content or purpose, as they're all after your money and belong in Marketplace.

Regardless of your feelings about comiclotto, I think it's pretty obvious the only purpose for this thread, titled "COMICLOTTO :: PLAY ONLINE TODAY!", is to advertise a commercial enterprise. That being the case, I would agree that the "comics general" forum is not the place for such a post.

The scoop post was also inappropriate in my opinion. The problem being, the link did not point to http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com. It pointed to a page on http://www.comiclotto.com that was dressed up to look like Scoop with added emphasis on the ComicLotto story. To me, that's misleading and potentially confusing. Not to mention a possible violation of Scoop's copyright.

• Administrator

Spamming the boards with commercial services is not allowed. Posting any commercial services not related to comic collecting is not allowed as it is off topic. Some new "events" in the comic collecting world, however, cross the line from simple promotion into the territory of "wow, that's interesting and new."

Therefore there is definitely room on these boards for a LIMITED amount of announcement of unique and ground-breaking types of commercial ventures. Repeated promotion will be minimized or elimnated. Promotion should be kept to the marketplace, and even there it can't be "spamming" - like a new post every week on the same thing would be stopped.

This service was allowed an initial post in this particular forum because of its initially unique nature and the conversation that might inspire.

• Administrator
Yeah, but why should forum threads in General that promote other sales or business-related functions (such as gman posting his auctions here - as he regularly does ) get immediately deleted by Arch, yet Comic Lotto threads be immune?

I just explained part of this in another post, but let me add that posts are not necessarily scutinized closely by the moderators unless they've been reported. For instance, I've never particularly noticed people posting their auctions in this forum. Also, the content of that scoop post wasn't commercial... the link was. That was later changed apparently - and that had nothing to do with board moderation. Comicwiz appears to have decided to do that himself.

Do I think Comicwiz has pushed past the line of sharing news of his new venture and discussing it with the members and a little bit into promotion. Yah. Some. But from what I've seen it's nothing to have a cow about. Report it and move on.

Arch

I'm sure you'd have a different opinion if some Dealer X was constantly posting sales, links to his site, and other SPAM in the General and non-MarketPlace forums

No. I would just ignore it like I usually do.

Kev

CI,

Maybe if you weren't such a total people would care about your opinion on topics like this. As it stands now when people see you posting in a topic their "total " alarm goes off and anything of value that you might be saying just gets skipped.

Turn that frown upside down! tongue.gif