• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 14... EDIT: ...and the grade is in...

18 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Can't be better than a 1.0, I don't think.

It has good visual appeal but the details are in very bad condition.

If that’s the consensus, I might not slab it. It could get a better price unslabbed because of how it presents.

6 minutes ago, oldrover said:

If that’s the consensus, I might not slab it. It could get a better price unslabbed because of how it presents.

I am far from an expert grader, so I would wait for some additional opinions. I am as close to an amateur as you can get.

It does look good for a low-grade, though.

31 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I stabbed a hideous ASM13 hoping for a grade not starting with a decimal point , and got a 1.0. The slab now makes it a $300 book... might go up when the movie comes out. This book is the opposite. Looks good, but has issues. 

Someone, here on the forums, recently reminded me that stabbing comics isn't a good idea...

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Someone, here on the forums, recently reminded me that stabbing comics isn't a good idea...

Oops... LOL... well, I'd think YOU wouldn't shy away from it... certainly if the implement was a pencil. :)

Edited by oldrover

This is not a terrible copy.  It's beat but looks complete.  No pieces missing from covers and i'll assume no missing pieces from interior pages.  wear, tears and color breaking creases are par for the course in the 2.0-3.0 range.

a) CGC 2.0 with a decent shot at 2.5

b) no, a press will do nothing but possibly tear this fragile book apart and will do nothing to improve the grade

c) Yes, this is a valuable book even in this condition.  If I wanted to read it, i'd just buy a reprint instead of risking a tear or cover detachment by handling this book.

see a comparable 2.0 and 2.5 w/ massive piece missing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-14-1st-App-GREEN-GOBLIN-CGC-2-0-/292721563303?hash=item44279096a7%3Ag%3Aa2EAAOSwrtFbWgzU&nma=true&si=Dky0TXHTRfA5xqE%2BPLv3SNxmskU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-14-CGC-2-5-1964-Marvel-First-Appearance-of-Green-Goblin-/283280355317?hash=item41f4d32ff5%3Ag%3AFUYAAOSwgbdb~e28&nma=true&si=Dky0TXHTRfA5xqE%2BPLv3SNxmskU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Verdict is in...

asm14cgcgrade.thumb.JPG.34d62c11a3ce1c502ce8c14878d3663d.JPG

3.0! Hey, I'd have been happy with a 2.0, but this is great!  :flipbait::martini:

(Plus it cancels out the ASM 20 I sent in thinking it was a 4.0 and it came back a 0.5... turns out I'd missed a tiny flaw... the absence of page 16. LOL)

Thanks guys for your input... expectations were low... and then exceeded! Yay! :)