• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERITAGE ADDS VINTAGE GRADED VIDEO GAMES TO ITS SIGNATURE AND WEEKLY AUCITONS
2 2

177 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2018 at 3:12 PM, Bronty said:

Super GNG is one of my all time favorites.   What a great game.   

(and its a lot easier than than the original GNG! yikes!)

Funny you say that. I never played the NES version until years later. I couldn't win the SNES version, so I bought the NES version figuring it would be easier. Boy was I wrong!

Edited by Westy Steve
Clarity

On 12/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, BAT MAN said:

Believe it was winter of 92 perhaps. It was around 11PM and freezing outside. My room mates were going to a rave. A few of us were not interested so we stayed back as we were in the middle of a sonic face off. I had no intention nor inclination of what about was going to happen on through the night.

GNG was a hard game at that time and everyone knew this game. Most were tapping out early. There are so many levels and difficult boards. Somehow I got a hot hand. Nearly 3 hours later I finished it. Around a little after 4AM half of the entire dorm room floor had crammed into our suite. People could not believe it and were freaking out as I got closer and closer to the the last level and as I was getting through some those more difficult boards they were going nutz. I am talking about jumping up and down cheering just as if they were watching an NFL game or UFC PPV. I think at one point near the end security was called and the guard was a younger guy; he ended up in disbelief just watching. Probably one of the greatest achievements of mine in college. Good times. Still have the game present day in an archival case.

GNG.jpg

I love that your story starts with a rave lol.   Great story.   One of the finest pieces of vintage game art too.   Would I ever kill for that painting!

I don’t know the first thing about graded games but I do have about a dozen older games still sealed in the box. If I found out any of them were worth something encapsulated, I would have them graded in a minute. Because money.

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well, PM me a list or post it here.

Oh I’m sure there’s nothing special in there, some sealed Gameboy Advance and DS games. Tactics Ogre, Golden Sun and the like.  I had several copies of PS1 FF7 but ebayed those off some years back and did surprisingly well. Next time I’m home I’ll check my storage unit and make a list.

58 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Oh I’m sure there’s nothing special in there, some sealed Gameboy Advance and DS games. Tactics Ogre, Golden Sun and the like.  I had several copies of PS1 FF7 but ebayed those off some years back and did surprisingly well. Next time I’m home I’ll check my storage unit and make a list.

OK.   Most of those won't be old enough to really be worth anything.   There may be a few outliers in the library but for the most part, won't be worth much.

Sure, a list can't hurt.

The FF7's I'm not surprised you did well, that's always in demand.

Edited by Bronty

Submits post.

Edits every single post 10+ minutes later to include paragraphs of "information" and conjecture to make it look like post was initially contributing more to conversation than it actually was.

Impossible to have a conversation like this.

I didn't buy Castlevania and FF to "slab". I bought them because they were dirt cheap and worth $$$$$. Doesn't make this hobby make any more sense when 99+% of the art is contained in programmed data that cannot be extracted without an expensive device (+ expensive peripherals required to use said device with modern equipment).

15 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Submits post.

Edits every single post 10+ minutes later to include paragraphs of "information" and conjecture to make it look like post was initially contributing more to conversation than it actually was.

Impossible to have a conversation like this.

I didn't buy Castlevania and FF to "slab". I bought them because they were dirt cheap and worth $$$$$. Doesn't make this hobby make any more sense when 99+% of the art is contained in programmed data that cannot be extracted without an expensive device (+ expensive peripherals required to use said device with modern equipment).

You know you just posted using an expensive device, right?  Your computer...most everyone has one.  Many video game collectors access and play their 99% programmed data on their computer and never touch the original cartridge, box, sealed game, or slabbed game.  It's no different than the comic book collector who has a slabbed comic book and accesses the story and interior art digitally or in reprint.  It's not unusual for collectors to want to own an item in high grade but then utilize a facsimile of it.

4 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

You know you just posted using an expensive device, right?  Your computer...most everyone has one.  Many video game collectors access and play their 99% programmed data on their computer and never touch the original cartridge, box, sealed game, or slabbed game.  It's no different than the comic book collector who has a slabbed comic book and accesses the story and interior art digitally or in reprint.  It's not unusual for collectors to want to own an item in high grade but then utilize a facsimile of it.

This isn't my computer.

Again, you're overlooking the same exact thing that the other hobby supporters continually cannot defend:

You can crack a comic slab and read the book. You can crack a video game slab and look at the box, which is what contains the artifact that has the code that translates 99+% of the art.

The comic relative would be a digital comic stored on a USB drive that was housed in a replica cover and then slabbed. Doesn't make sense, huh?

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

This isn't my computer.

Again, you're overlooking the same exact thing that the other hobby supporters continually cannot defend:

You can crack a comic slab and read the book. You can crack a video game slab and look at the box, which is what contains the artifact that has the code that translates 99+% of the art.

The comic relative would be a digital comic stored on a USB drive that was housed in a replica cover and then slabbed. Doesn't make sense, huh?

I forgot the possibility that you might be using your Mom's computer in her basement. :)   Besides, most video game collectors, by definition, own electronic devices for playing video games, in the same manner that most comic book collectors know how to read.   Anyhow, getting back to your point, you can crack a video game slab and open it, whether it's sealed or not (some are not).  Your "comic relative" analogy doesn't work because a USB isn't the original item, which is what collectors want...that's the point of collecting (to obtain the original item) and the ideal collectible is the one that looks like it could be sitting on a store shelf (or newsstand).  You can crack and read a CGC 9.9 comic also, but I'm guessing there are as many people doing that as there are people cracking video games and tearing the cellophane off a sealed vintage game to play it.  Your "comic relative" analogy, when re-applied back to video games, actually would be the video game's code stored on a USB drive, housed in a replica cover and then slabbed.....which is not what is happening. 

In simple terms, the reality is that when people slab a collectible, whether a coin, comic, or video game, they have no intention of using it for its intended purpose and just want to own it, feel secure that it's not a fake, know whether it's in original condition, be able to sell it easier, and admire what they can see through the attractive plastic housing.

12 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

I forgot the possibility that you might be using your Mom's computer in her basement. :)   Besides, most video game collectors, by definition, own electronic devices for playing video games, in the same manner that most comic book collectors know how to read.   Anyhow, getting back to your point, you can crack a video game slab and open it, whether it's sealed or not (some are not).  Your "comic relative" analogy doesn't work because a USB isn't the original item, which is what collectors want...that's the point of collecting (to obtain the original item) and the ideal collectible is the one that looks like it could be sitting on a store shelf (or newsstand).  You can crack and read a CGC 9.9 comic also, but I'm guessing there are as many people doing that as there are people cracking video games and tearing the cellophane off a sealed vintage game to play it.  Your "comic relative" analogy, when re-applied back to video games, actually would be the video game's code stored on a USB drive, housed in a replica cover and then slabbed.....which is not what is happening. 

In simple terms, the reality is that when people slab a collectible, whether a coin, comic, or video game, they have no intention of using it for its intended purpose and just want to own it, feel secure that it's not a fake, know whether it's in original condition, be able to sell it easier, and admire what they can see through the attractive plastic housing.

Or, y'know, my computer at work...

My comic book analogy does work, because that method of storage is the exact purpose of a video game. A device required to read and translate the code, and project it onto a screen (in most cases) that way you can interpret the artwork. It's elementary. Did you ever multiply fractions? That's the method required to compare these hobbies. You can make all of the excuses that you want, but, in the end, all you need are eyeballs to crack a comic slab and appreciate the final product. Video games are not nearly as simple, because 99+% of the artwork is encoded onto an artifact that requires more than one's genetically-given eyeballs to see. How are you not understanding this?

14 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Or, y'know, my computer at work...

My comic book analogy does work, because that method of storage is the exact purpose of a video game. A device required to read and translate the code, and project it onto a screen (in most cases) that way you can interpret the artwork. It's elementary. Did you ever multiply fractions? That's the method required to compare these hobbies. You can make all of the excuses that you want, but, in the end, all you need are eyeballs to crack a comic slab and appreciate the final product. Video games are not nearly as simple, because 99+% of the artwork is encoded onto an artifact that requires more than one's genetically-given eyeballs to see. How are you not understanding this?

You are correct that you can crack a comic and see its pages immediately.  Whereas, you have to put the game in a system, which the collector probably already owns.  FWIW, you then smell the comic and not the game, but you can hear the game and not the comic.  So what?  That doesn't make games any less of a collectible.  And it doesn't take away the need to slab it to preserve it, easily trade it, have it checked for restoration, etc.

You say you own some sealed video games.  Earlier in the thread I asked you if they were in good shape.  I was trying to make the point that you might not know how good of shape they are in, and it would be real nice if an expert could put a number to that condition.  If they are real nice, you might get more money for it when you sell if you slab it.  And it would give a potential buyer confidence that you didn't just put shrink wrap on it yourself, or print the cardboard in your garage.  Whether you need a video game system to play or appreciate the game is irrelevant to the benefits of slabbing.  People don't slab things so they can crack them out.  They slab them to make them more fungible, to provide peace of mind regarding restoration, etc. 

I'm not making excuses.  I just see your argument as irrelevant to why people slab things.

Edited by Westy Steve

29 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

You are correct that you can crack a comic and see its pages immediately.  Whereas, you have to put the game in a system, which the collector probably already owns.  FWIW, you then smell the comic and not the game, but you can hear the game and not the comic.  So what?  That doesn't make games any less of a collectible.  And it doesn't take away the need to slab it to preserve it, easily trade it, have it checked for restoration, etc.

You say you own some sealed video games.  Earlier in the thread I asked you if they were in good shape.  I was trying to make the point that you might not know how good of shape they are in, and it would be real nice if an expert could put a number to that condition.  If they are real nice, you might get more money for it when you sell if you slab it.  And it would give a potential buyer confidence that you didn't just put shrink wrap on it yourself, or print the cardboard in your garage.  Whether you need a video game system to play or appreciate the game is irrelevant to the benefits of slabbing.  People don't slab things so they can crack them out.  They slab them to make them more fungible, to provide peace of mind regarding restoration, etc. 

I'm not making excuses.  I just see your argument as irrelevant to why people slab things.

Regardless of the assumption that, "the collector probably already owns", you're glossing over the DING-DING-DING problem again! My younger brother can buy a slabbed comic tomorrow, crack it open, and voila! Read the comic. He doesn't own an NES. If he buys a slabbed NES game, and cracks it, all he can do is appreciate the packaging. Leading back to what I would call the stupidity to grading an artifact's packaging. There are plenty of hobbies that I consider stupid, mainly leading back to the point of being unable to appreciate something's core artistic value. There isn't an argument that I've been presented with that changes this logic.

I didn't see your question about the condition of my sealed games. Sorry for accidentally dodging this. Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and... Dodge... I only bought the games, because they're $$$$$ sealed, and they were significantly dirt cheap. They're also games that I love. It was also a long time ago. Is it cool to owned a valuable sealed game? Kinda. It was kinda like a few weekends ago, when I bought the 2008 DVD set of the original theatrical Star Wars trilogy for $25. Normally I wouldn't bother, but they were only ever released in their theatrical versions on DVD/Blu-ray once, and they're $$$$$ sealed. None of these were bought for resale value, rather, just because they're "rare" expensive finds if in mint condition.

Slabbing a Metallica CD of S&M is equally as stupid as slabbing a video game. Most things shouldn't be slabbed - mainly things that cannot be fully appreciated for their artistic value when immediately removed from said plastic devices.

54 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Regardless of the assumption that, "the collector probably already owns", you're glossing over the DING-DING-DING problem again! My younger brother can buy a slabbed comic tomorrow, crack it open, and voila! Read the comic. He doesn't own an NES. If he buys a slabbed NES game, and cracks it, all he can do is appreciate the packaging. Leading back to what I would call the stupidity to grading an artifact's packaging. There are plenty of hobbies that I consider stupid, mainly leading back to the point of being unable to appreciate something's core artistic value. There isn't an argument that I've been presented with that changes this logic.

I didn't see your question about the condition of my sealed games. Sorry for accidentally dodging this. Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and... Dodge... I only bought the games, because they're $$$$$ sealed, and they were significantly dirt cheap. They're also games that I love. It was also a long time ago. Is it cool to owned a valuable sealed game? Kinda. It was kinda like a few weekends ago, when I bought the 2008 DVD set of the original theatrical Star Wars trilogy for $25. Normally I wouldn't bother, but they were only ever released in their theatrical versions on DVD/Blu-ray once, and they're $$$$$ sealed. None of these were bought for resale value, rather, just because they're "rare" expensive finds if in mint condition.

Slabbing a Metallica CD of S&M is equally as stupid as slabbing a video game. Most things shouldn't be slabbed - mainly things that cannot be fully appreciated for their artistic value when immediately removed from said plastic devices.

OK.  So you think it's stupid to own a slabbed game because you can only appreciate the packaging, and yet you own sealed games that you don't play?  I'm genuinely curious how you justify that in your mind.

38 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

OK.  So you think it's stupid to own a slabbed game because you can only appreciate the packaging, and yet you own sealed games that you don't play?  I'm genuinely curious how you justify that in your mind.

I spent $20 on 2 games that typically cost $1,000+ combined on the aftermarket. You're curious about, what..? I call it shrewd buying. Have you heard the phrase, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

Edit: I would never consider spending more than $10-20 on these. Call it a potential investment if I ever need the cash for some unforeseen circumstance.

Edited by TwoPiece

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I spent $20 on 2 games that typically cost $1,000+ combined on the aftermarket. You're curious about, what..? I call it shrewd buying. Have you heard the phrase, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

Edit: I would never consider spending more than $10-20 on these. Call it a potential investment if I ever need the cash for some unforeseen circumstance.

OKI...  You'd never consider spending more than $10 to $20 on two items worth $1,000 in the aftermarket?  Really?  So if they were $50 you would have walked?  Holy Hyperbole, Batman!  What else have you been exaggerating on here?  Not sure I can take you seriously now.

I'm actually with TwoPiece on this one.

I mean...what happens if you buy say...a pristine (and graded as such) factory-sealed early copy of Super Mario Bros for the NES.

Then a year later you (gasp!) open it to play the game on your vintatge system, because there's a fun tangible feel to it that an emulator just can't match.

Only, the game doesn't work. It's a lemon, the 1 in 1000 errors due to manufacturing.

Even though it was sealed, the grading company couldn't vouch for the _game_, only look / condition of the box the game came in. As TwoPiece says, they're effectively grading the video game box, which has little relation to the playability of the game itself.

That's the fundamental difference to me between graded comics or baseballs vs. graded video games.

19 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

OKI...  You'd never consider spending more than $10 to $20 on two items worth $1,000 in the aftermarket?  Really?  So if they were $50 you would have walked?  Holy Hyperbole, Batman!  What else have you been exaggerating on here?  Not sure I can take you seriously now.

Why would I spend $50 on something that I don't want..? It takes me <20 minutes to earn $10.

When all else fails - resort to personal attacks rather than the subject, right? I couldn't care less if you "take me seriously". You obviously aren't taking logic and objectivity seriously on this thread. I suppose this discussion is over between us.

Not an attack.  You're not exercising rational behavior if what you're saying is true, so I can't argue with you since my arguments assume the other person is rational.

If you can buy something worth $1,000 for $50, then you're making $950.  I would spend $50 for something I didn't want if I knew it was going to make me $950 with very little effort.  Could be strawberry shortcake dolls or vintage rubber dog doo...wouldn't matter to me!   That compares very favorably with making $30 and hour.  You're the 1% here that wouldn't take that deal, so I don't think I we have a common value system which forms the basis for a good debate.