• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF#12 - Grade Is In!
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Here are some pictures of my copy of Fantastic Four #12. I would appreciate your input on the following: a) grade, b) benefit from pressing?, and c) would you slab it?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Joe Ankenbauer

FF12-Front.jpg

FF12-Back.jpg

FF12-01.JPG

FF12-02.JPG

FF12-03.JPG

FF12-04.JPG

FF12-05.JPG

FF12-06.JPG

FF12-07.JPG

FF12-08.JPG

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

I do know anything about pressing and slabbing the book depends on individual preference and what you plan on doing with the book.

If you are planning on selling then having the book graded is probably beneficial, if you are keeping it in your collection slabbing does not offer anymore protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board.

In your 7th pic I cannot tell if the spine is split at the top...???

If there is no spine split I would grade the book at a VG/FN 5.0.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN): 
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

If there is a spine split, depending on length it could fall to a VG 4.0 or GD/VG 3.0.

Recent sales on eBay show a CGC GD/VG 3.0 selling at auction for $457.00 and $532.00 respectively, a CGC VG+ 4.5 selling at auction for $680.00 and a CGC FN- 5.5 selling at auction for $990.00.

A GD/VG 3.0 Raw sold for $382.99

Edited by marvelmaniac

looks to be a staple-length spine split by the top staple, about 1/2".  pretty solid presenting VG/F unless that split is longer or there are other spine splits that are not shown.

a) CGC 5.0

b) no, a press would not help this grade at all

c) depends. absolutely slab it if you plan on selling it and are confident there's no resto.  If it's for your personal collection/enjoyment then it's up to your own preference.  If you're a klutz with two left thumbs that has a severe tremor disorder, drops books and has a propensity for tape tears, then slab it.

Edited by davet75