• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History December Auction
1 1

28 posts in this topic

The December Profiles in History auction starts today and runs through Friday. There are a number of interesting pieces, including works by John Romita, Frank Frazetta, Charles Schulz, Mike Ploog, Sanjulian, the Hildebrandt brothers, and others. Not a ton of comic OA, but some noteworthy artists and nice looking pieces. Some of the highlights are below.

Raiders of the Lost Ark original Atari video game cover artwork by James Kelly

http://www.icollector.com/Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-final-artwork-for-the-cover-of-1982-Atari-video-game-box-by-James-Kelly_i31871873

le0kIb.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #40 recreation painting by John Romita

http://www.icollector.com/John-Romita-Amazing-Spider-Man-40-painting_i31872212

TNZ39S.jpg

Windblown original art by Frank Frazetta

http://www.icollector.com/Frank-Frazetta-original-illustration-entitled-Windblown_i31870825

yI4EaC.jpg

Conan and the Savage Seas by Frank Frazetta

http://www.icollector.com/Frank-Frazetta-watercolor-painting-entitled-Conan-and-the-Savage-Sea-I_i31870827

GDgvMy.jpg

Peanuts Sunday comic strip art by Charles Schulz (one of several pieces available)

http://www.icollector.com/Charles-Schulz-original-Peanuts-Sunday-comic-strip-featuring-Snoopy-and-Woodstock_i31870509

9YH4BQ.jpg

Lord of the Rings original poster art by Mike Ploog

http://www.icollector.com/Lord-of-the-Rings-poster-art-by-Mike-Ploog_i31870498

ujekv4.jpg

Clash of the Titans concept art by the Hildebrandt Brothers

http://www.icollector.com/Greg-Tim-Hildebrandt-original-final-poster-concept-art-for-Clash-of-the-Titans_i31870588

cyespZ.jpg

8 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

interesting is the right word.

Looks great in the b/w photo, but the color image looks terrible.   Bad photo due to large size?

Vintage from the making of the movie... but a grandiose concept piece rather than the poster art.  

Great size, but... great size (probably impressive in person but maybe too big).  

Lots of pros, lots of cons.

Really like the Ploog.   All the characters are well rendered without being over the top characterizations, and its a tight render.

Central part of the Hildebrandt is nice too .

As I've said elsewhere, the Kelly would be a lovely piece of game art, but with the colors as faded as they are (the entire blue segment of the spectrum is completely gone), it becomes hard to bite the bullet.   Can't see it selling.

Edited by Bronty

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Starting bids are pretty rough. Might be a few one and dones?

This Ben Stahl piece is interesting-

http://www.icollector.com/Studio-commissioned-oil-painting-of-Charlton-Heston-as-Ben-Hur-in-the-chariot-race-by-Ben-Stahl_i31870792

55 minutes ago, Bronty said:

interesting is the right word.

Looks great in the b/w photo, but the color image looks terrible.   Bad photo due to large size?

Vintage from the making of the movie... but a grandiose concept piece rather than the poster art.  

Great size, but... great size (probably impressive in person but maybe too big).  

Lots of pros, lots of cons.

Wow. That is awesome in all ways. The size is excellent if not slightly modest (48x60" footprints for major works is my preferred). BUT - I write that not for anything other it's visual power.

Like PIH always does, rather aggressive starting bids; could well be one-n-done. And the likelihood of the new owner being forced to enjoy this for a very long time before being able to sell without taking a nominal loss. Cost benefit and inflation adjusted...ugly, best to not think about such things if you really love it and just want it. I do. But not to tie up $12-20k.

4 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark

In another thread,  @Mephisto commented on some color possibly being faded ?  A screenshot from the PIH catalog was posted for comparison.

The Raiders painting is heavily faded. It was at a gallery for sale for like 85K and it was their scan also showed it to be heavily faded. The artist gifted it to a friend in the early 80’s and was still hanging in his house up until recently. It likely didn’t have much protection from sun hanging all those years.

Can someone explain to me what is going on with the bidding. In the live auction the auctioneer is sometimes saying "pass" when a lot fails to get a single bid, but is also hammering lots with no bids and calling out a paddle number. This number isn't the same number (a house number, for example). The lots are showing as unsold in the feed. Are the varying numbers indicative of the item selling back to the consignor?

The recycled Doc Dave Frazetta lots did ok. All sold even if at opening bids.

I bought the Ploog. I feel like I could write a book on the history of that piece, but its finally coming off the market (to me).

Should be interesting to watch the SW prop lots with all of the controversy about the lightsaber causing it to get pulled.

16 hours ago, cstojano said:

The recycled Doc Dave Frazetta lots did ok. All sold even if at opening bids.

I bought the Ploog. I feel like I could write a book on the history of that piece, but its finally coming off the market (to me).

Should be interesting to watch the SW prop lots with all of the controversy about the lightsaber causing it to get pulled.

:golfclap:congrats :golfclap:

the price seemed reasonable to me. I’d love to read that book one day. 

40 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

:golfclap:congrats :golfclap:

the price seemed reasonable to me. I’d love to read that book one day. 

Well not a book really. Short story is I was trying to haggle the 10% eBay fees when Bakshi listed this on eBay. Of course, I was traveling for work. Original list price was in the low 3k range. It sells, ends up on CAF, I believe, because the owner contacted me. He apparently traded it to someone who listed it ASAP on Profiles at a starting bid of 15k. I watch in amazement as it gets one bid, so 18k with bp. I am shocked and filled with regret. That was June 2017. Imagine my surprise when it re-appears at Profiles once again at half that price. So I held my nose and said I'd go for it. Did it ever sell for 18k? I have no idea. Anyway, I love the piece and think it's his most recognizable piece of movie work because they used it everywhere in marketing that film (which happens to be my favorite for reasons I can never fully explain, I know most hate it).

edit: I forget the prologue. I had asked the Bakshis about this specific piece multiple times over the years and they always said they didn't have it. So when it pops up on eBay I am shocked, which makes my haggling over 300 dollars that much more ridiculous given I just paid an extra 5k for the piece. This is not the first time I was told specific pieces had sold only to see them in binders at comic cons. I think their inventory system is not fully kept up to date. 

Edited by cstojano

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

Well not a book really. Short story is I was trying to haggle the 10% eBay fees when Bakshi listed this on eBay. Of course, I was traveling for work. Original list price was in the low 3k range. It sells, ends up on CAF, I believe, because the owner contacted me. He apparently traded it to someone who listed it ASAP on Profiles at a starting bid of 15k. I watch in amazement as it gets one bid, so 18k with bp. I am shocked and filled with regret. That was June 2017. Imagine my surprise when it re-appears at Profiles once again at half that price. So I held my nose and said I'd go for it. Did it ever sell for 18k? I have no idea. Anyway, I love the piece and think it's his most recognizable piece of movie work because they used it everywhere in marketing that film (which happens to be my favorite for reasons I can never fully explain, I know most hate it).

edit: I forget the prologue. I had asked the Bakshis about this specific piece multiple times over the years and they always said they didn't have it. So when it pops up on eBay I am shocked, which makes my haggling over 300 dollars that much more ridiculous given I just paid an extra 5k for the piece. This is not the first time I was told specific pieces had sold only to see them in binders at comic cons. I think their inventory system is not fully kept up to date. 

Ah man what a story. Well I’m glad it ended it with you who will steward the art after all the frustration. It was meant to be. Congrats again on the acquisition. 

Man, just re-reading your story shows how frustrating the hobby can be which makes me wonder how much a hobby it really is!

I also wonder how well we would all do in Washington if we all woke up tomorrow as lobbyists and politicians!

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

Congratulations, I am glad you got this piece.

After seeing it a few days ago I began to fall in love with it. I was about to do something stupid to get it, then got tied up working and thought the bidding ended the next day, and missed out. 

I am glad I didn't cost you more money. Given your history with the piece it's exactly where it belongs. 

Thanks all, am very happy about this purchase.

Around 15 minutes until the start of the final day's lots.

On the James Kelly Raiders piece, I understand where people are coming from on this but something just isn't sitting right with me about this being so badly sun damaged. For one, I actually don't think it looks bad and given the entire game artwork is done in this red tone it sort of looks better, in a way. I know this is blasphemy, but I do think the blue areas look better without the blue. It is the red areas that appear too saturated now in the OA. Two, it appears the missing blue actually shows the underlying artwork better than on the box art itself. You can actually see the Egyptian details on the wall whereas on the box the blue covers much of this, especially in the lower left corner. Three, has the art been examined out of frame? Why is the subtle blue in the middle of the piece (present on both the box and the OA) not missing? Is there evidence of the paper being tanned out of frame that would suggest sun damage has occurred?  Has there been any change to the red and yellow pigments? I am not at all questioning that the piece looks different from the actual box artwork. When I first became aware of this piece my assumption was that some filter was applied during the production process. Note I am not a buyer at 30k or anywhere near this price.

edit: Well it sold for 30k anyway.

Chris

Edited by cstojano