• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not a happy camper today.

59 posts in this topic

Why am I not very happy today? Well, about 3 months ago I saw a great copy of the Incredible Hulk #181 for sale on eBay. The seller described it as being in 9.2 condition. The scan was rather small but the seller had great feedback, so I bid on the auction and won the book for about $1400.00 after shipping. When I recieved the book, It looked even better than the seller described it. Other than an extremely tiny spine crease, the book appeared to be in perfect condition. I would even go as far as saying the book was an easy 9.4. The tiny spine crease was so small that you might miss it if you didn't look close enough. Anyways, last week I decided to send it in to CGC to get it graded thinking it would get at least a 9.2 if not a 9.4. Well, today I called CGC to ask them what grade they gave the book and I was struck speachless when they told me the book got a grade of 8.0. I don't even remember what the guy said after the words "8.0" came out of his mouth because I was so shocked. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed, and for the life of me, I can't imagine how a book that looked nearly flawless would get a grade of 8.0. Has anyone else ever recieved a grade on a book that was not even close to what you thought it would be? I am dumbstruck.

I've given up on purchasing HG expensive raw books from Ebay. 90% of the time the book is either restored or has a hidden defect. It's possible that the person who sold you the book had felt the same way you did and sent it in to CGC expecting a 9.2 or 9.4 grade. However, upon receiving an 8.0 or 8.5, he decided to deslab it and sell it to you at a higher grade. Technically, he's not committing fraud since the book is unrestored and you agreed with the grade. Sorry to hear this.

Well for $1,400 I'm not sure why you would not just buy a book that's already slabbed vs. gambling on raw issue. Keep in mind that the seller could be just as surprised as you with the final grade as obviously you felt it was accurately graded. The only way I would spend that kind of coin on a raw book would be if it was a GA one that was very rare.

You could send that book in three more times and get a different grade each time. It's grading, it's opinions, it's subject to change from grader to grader. Wait a few weeks and send it back in, see what you get then.

You could send that book in three more times and get a different grade each time. It's grading, it's opinions, it's subject to change from grader to grader. Wait a few weeks and send it back in, see what you get then.

My JIM #83 looks like a 7.5 - 8.0 but was graded a 6.5 because they found a chunk out of the margin on one interior page. that sure blew me away..... 893whatthe.gif

since you didn't hear anything after the 8.0, are you certain it's not restored??

in any event - we all feel your pain.............. frown.gif

Your Hulk 181 may have had a 1 inch non-color breaking crease/fold on the white of the back cover that u did not spot before submitting to Cgc. This would hammer your comic down to 8.0 or 8.5 territory. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well for $1,400 I'm not sure why you would not just buy a book that's already slabbed vs. gambling on raw issue. Keep in mind that the seller could be just as surprised as you with the final grade as obviously you felt it was accurately graded. The only way I would spend that kind of coin on a raw book would be if it was a GA one that was very rare.

GPA for a 9.2 over the past 12 mos. is only $1264, so I am also puzzled as to why someone would pay over that for a raw issue with a small scan as well. Sounds like he is literally paying the price for not doing enough homework on the book. It sucks, but you live and you learn...

Your Hulk 181 may have had a 1 inch non-color breaking crease/fold on the white of the back cover that u did not spot before submitting to Cgc. This would hammer your comic down to 8.0 or 8.5 territory. confused-smiley-013.gif

If that's the case....might as well throw another $100 at it and make it a 9.4. $1500 for a CGC 9.4 HULK 181 is much better than $1400 for an 8.0. juggle.gif

Just be glad it had the Marvel Value Stamp. shy.gif

Maybe it didn't . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it possible you missed something? We ALL missed something on the first book we sent in. Btw, an 8.0 Hulk #181 is still a nice book, but has an FMV of about $750 frown.gif

Sorry for the bad news, but it has happened to all of us . . .

confused-smiley-013.gif