• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my 1940's Blackhawk comix

7 posts in this topic

Hello Guys/Girls

I have an ever so slowly growing collection of Australian Blackhawk Comics that started production in the mid 1940's.

I would like some idea what grades they might be assigned if I send a few to CGC for grading.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Russ... thumbsup2.gif

866452-Blackhawk%231%282%29.jpg

866452-Blackhawk%232.jpg

589a8ef1b1aa0_866452-Blackhawk2.jpg.3e68526e923201d839dc0fd13ab8b6fb.jpg

Pretty nice comics. Are they stapled at the top? That would account for the chipping along the top edge. Are they the same size as golden age? I hesatate to grade as the criterion should be slightly different.

#1 6.0 both staples look rough and top edge chipping.

#2 7.0 could go higher as only problem is that right staple.

Nice books - thanks for sharing. Were many titles stapled at the top? Was that a common practice in the '40's down under?

#1 6.0 sumo.gif

#2 7.0, perhaps a 7.5 How are the back covers? Any advertisements? Or all comic - all the time?

cheers,

divad thumbsup2.gif

Hello Guys.

Issues 1 thru 4 have the staples located on the top edge of the comic.

The measurements are 7 1/8 inches Wide X 10 5/16 inches Tall.

The comic is turned 95 degrees to the left and read in a lanscape format.

Issue 4 thru ~35 have normal staple positioning but a larger format.

The measurements are 7 7/8 inches Wide X 10 1/2 inches Tall.

Issue ~35 thru ~130 have normal staple position but return to the same dimensions as issue 1 thru 4.

All books are Black & White with the only color being on the cover. In some early issues the black ink may be replaced with either green or blue ink.

Each book comes with around 4 stories plus a short 2-3 page Chop-Chop story and the occasional 1-2 page Text only story.

The only adverts in the early issues are one line text adverts for other comics. This text is normally placed in the centre of a page between picture cells.

It has taken me 3 years to obtain 20 issues of this comic from Australia & abroad and It is not through missing auctions as I win around 95% of any Australian reprint Blackhawk auction. They are very rare to come across and I think it will be almost impossible to place together a full set in the future.

I know of 5 copies of issue #1 and would be suprised if more than 30-50 copies were in existance.

Below is a link to a cover site for some Australia comics including superman & Batman comics. This collection of 27 Blackhawk comics were sold to an English buyer several years ago.

Aussie Blackhawk covers page.

I will scan a few pages from my Issue #1 Beater copy to show you during the weekend.

Thanks everyone for your input so far on the above grades.

Regards,

Russ... thumbsup2.gif