• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Vending Machine

42 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Agreed.  I will pay 3 slabs for a dollar...

Ok I'll send dollar-get slabs ready-

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

What kind of slab you like? rat or cat?

First catwoman be nice also rat patrol

7 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Sorry, only Ratwoman and Cat Patrol available try again later...

dang

1 hour ago, BabaLament said:

@the blob Agreed; it would be three for a dollar stuff in there, not wall hangers or future-college-money.

3 for $1 stuff priced at 3 for $3 or $5. I don't see any way for this to be worthwhile or profitable selling 33 cent comics. The machine itself costs a few grand. So even if leased, $50 a month? Then as the vendor you need to run around stocking a few dozen machines in a 75-150 mile radius. At some point you are spending $3 in gas to sell $2 in comics if too cheap. I am not saying you can't squeeze out a side income in the right market. 

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

3 for $1 stuff priced at 3 for $3 or $5. I don't see any way for this to be worthwhile or profitable selling 33 cent comics. The machine itself costs a few grand. So even if leased, $50 a month? Then as the vendor you need to run around stocking a few dozen machines in a 75-150 mile radius. At some point you are spending $3 in gas to sell $2 in comics if too cheap. I am not saying you can't squeeze out a side income in the right market. 

Let me put it this way-if it was viable market forces would have made it happen long ago.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Let me put it this way-if it was viable market forces would have made it happen long ago.

I don't assume that at all. It has barely been tried. I have never seen one. And if someone has been trying to sell $4 comics they have been doing it the wrong way. The key is figuring out how to get the machine cheap. With that said, maybe the interest isn't there, kids are illiterate, etc

Edited by the blob

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I don't assume that at all. It has barely been tried. I have never seen one. And if someone has been trying to sell $4 comics they have been doing it the wrong way. The key is figuring out how to get the machine cheap. 

market forces tho would have made it viable by making a cheap machine if such was possible tho.  

4 minutes ago, kav said:

market forces tho would have made it viable by making a cheap machine if such was possible tho.  

A snack machine can be fitted, which is what we see. But they cost $2500. Maybe if you are a mechanical type you can pick them up cheap and fix them.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

I think you are missing the need for an enterprising person to take an intelligent approach to it and do it like a business and have multiple locations. Seeding a few "good" books in these might help too. This takes up as much space as those gross gumball machines I woukd never let my kid put money in. I can't imagine those are revenue generators. Anyway, the market is hardly efficient. 

Edited by the blob

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

A snack machine can be fitted, which is what we see. But they cost $2500. Maybe if you are a mechanical type you can pick them up cheap and fix them.

also a snack delivered with the comic is a win-win.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cheeto's ? 

oh dear lord.  this will reverse the grade bump from the pressing effect-

4 hours ago, 143ksk said:

This is the kind of machine I bought comics from in the late '60s/early '70s on the south side of Chicago. I've wanted one forever...

There was one of these at the Osco Drug in Barrington, Illinois in 1975-77. When the prices kept jumping they got rid of it. I bought a ton of books out of one.