• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Theo Holstein Superman #1 on ebay

85 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

An auction house once told me about a non-paying bidder. Obviously they couldn't mention the person's name, but "It rhymes with B.O. Molstein."

if and I  think it is in regards of  a fiction house book...there was an apparent grading issue, however it might be something else.....but he has paid millions of dollars to Ha....as he paid the world record price for a barks painting auction sale of 282K or something like that, he paid the worlds highest price for a pulp painting..HJ Ward's evil flame I think it was around 135K, and paid the worlds highest price for a barks painting off the grid so. and I believe he just bought from the same auction house the Tales from the Crypt paperback cover by Frit that over 100K..they could be a few transitions out of a thousand. 

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

I know I know hmDan-and-Laura-Dotson-Auctioneers.thumb.jpg.e9d799607cea8d7b29b3a2a224beb053.jpg1579915808_davehesteryup.jpg.d5bc88e8e49df96b6868c90f0b52b765.jpg:whee::whee::whee::whee::whee:

That tool Dave Hester sets up at my local antique flea market every month trying to dump the scraps from his storage lockers. Real bad, garage sale carp. Such a tool. He really stinks up the place. He had a pile of doo doo comics once and I asked the price. When he told me, I looked him in the eye and said "Noooope!". He told me to get out of his booth  :roflmao:

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That tool Dave Hester sets up at my local antique flea market every month trying to dump the scraps from his storage lockers. Real bad, garage sale carp. Such a tool. He really stinks up the place. He had a pile of doo doo comics once and I asked the price. When he told me, I looked him in the eye and said "Noooope!". He told me to get out of his booth  :roflmao:

DaveHester .jpg

20 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

if and I  think it is in regards of  a fiction house book...there was an apparent grading issue, however it might be something else.....but he has paid millions of dollars to Ha....as he paid the world record price for a barks painting auction sale of 282K or something like that, he paid the worlds highest price for a pulp painting..HJ Ward's evil flame I think it was around 135K, and paid the worlds highest price for a barks painting off the grid so. and I believe he just bought from the same auction house the Tales from the Crypt paperback cover by Frit that over 100K..they could be a few transitions out of a thousand. 

He sure never paid ME squat for anything I ever sold him. :tonofbricks:

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

He sure never paid ME squat for anything I ever sold him. :tonofbricks:

In an auction setting its different....more competition for example he was bidding against a famous filmmaker on Vacation Panel carl barks oil..it got jacked up to about $175K, he had bought that painting originally in a trade for 50K and sold it to Kirby Cofer for 100K...typical in an auction setting, one on one very tough to deal with especially if you want to buy it from him.

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

In an auction setting its different....more competition for example he was bidding against a famous filmmaker on Vacation Panel carl barks oil..it got jacked up to about $175K, he had bought that painting originally in a trade for 50K and sold it to Kirby Cofer for 100K...typical in an auction setting, one on one very tough to deal with especially if you want to buy it from him.

That's OK Mitch, I know my place in the food chain...lol

Like a LOT of folks in this biz, I may like them personally, but just won't deal with many...

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

That's OK Mitch, I know my place in the food chain...lol

Like a LOT of folks in this biz, I may like them personally, but just won't deal with many...

we all have been around a long time an its great to see we are still in it...we are for real in terms of true collectors...there is not a better feeling then finding great unknown stuff...you do it all the time and you outstanding collection shows it...Theo has always been on another level, I remember one time in the 70's when he had 12...yes 12 Weird Science #1(12)...it took him over 10 years to find his TTA#1...and he still has it, I think he paid 5x guide on that at the time...I think you own one too...very difficult book

What? That old rag? Yeah, I got one laying around some where. Theo wants mine pretty bad. The contents are VOH #12 (#1), HOF #15 (#1), TFTC #20 (#1) and WS #13 (#2). He will have to battle it out at auction when my kids sell it. :pullhair:

Like Steve Miller once said, "Your cash ain't nothing but trash".

By the way, I recently saw a Feldstein cover recreation painting of it at a friend's house. He had Al paint it for him. Incredible in full color oil...

comtalesofterror1.jpg

I’m not going to give all the details of the back and forth but he had an asm 1 that was a cgc 3.5 for $100k.  He said in the ad it was a file copy because it had a tape pull and that’s where the “file copy” label used to be.  I told him that’s not how file copies are marked and that cgc labels actual file copies as a file copy.  His final reply was “it doesn’t have to be true...  it only needs to be believable”.  I’ll leave out the details of my final reply.  The guy uses quirkiness as an excuse to rip people off.  I don’t find that admirable.

i left out the fact it was very nice looking for a 3.5 so I was genuinely interested, but not at $100k

Edited by comicquant

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I’m not going to give all the details of the back and forth but he had an asm 1 that was a cgc 3.5 for $100k.  He said in the ad it was a file copy because it had a tape pull and that’s where the “file copy” label used to be.  I told him that’s not how file copies are marked and that cgc labels actual file copies as a file copy.  His final reply was “it doesn’t have to be true...  it only needs to be believable”.  I’ll leave out the details of my final reply.  The guy uses quirkiness as an excuse to rip people off.  I don’t find that admirable.

i left out the fact it was very nice looking for a 3.5 so I was genuinely interested, but not at $100k

I remember that and personally I thought it was graded just fine and was a 3.5. Maybe a nice 3.5, but it didn’t look like it was waayyy undergraded like he explained. On top of that, even if it was sooo extremely undergraded and should have been an 8.5 like he was saying that was still a $30K-$40K book tops when he listed it. So he was still over pricing it beyond belief.

10 hours ago, comicquant said:

Wow.  Amazing.  I never ordered from him.  I never could afford anything he listed back when I first saw his ads in 70s.   Now I can afford his books even less but this story is just eye-opening and nauseating especially his final reply to you.

20 hours ago, bluechip said:

I don't think he said restoration is "better"; his words indicate he's saying it's "inevitable."   I can't imagine anyone saying a book should be restored before it needs "conservation".  But if no books are treated there will come a time when there's simply none left or at the very least only copies which are encased in special slabs with inert gases and kept in cold storage.  

I've heard a number of fans say that they worry the abhorence of restoration is so extreme that it prevents people from making efforts to conserve books that need it.   

I spoke with a guy some years back about some major keys I had with brittle pages.   He described the book as having "cancer" and said I "can't" treat the pages because restoration is forbidden.  I countered that when a body has a treatable cancer, nobody ever says you "can't" treat it.  But I got his point.  Which was basically that the market is effed up and he didn't know how to sell something unless it fit very neatly into the parameters of the moment, and at that moment the CW was that restoration was considered a worse sin than allowing something to crumble to dust. 

This makes a lot more sense than the way Theo said it.  Maybe Theo needs to restructure how he explains his opinions and sales tactics.  The way he wrote sounded completely absurd to me....not to mention the gramatical errors.  If people want to be taken seriously, they need to make the point very clear and spell all the words correctly (which usually means not typing your message on your phone with "auto-correct" turned on).  LOL

Thanks for the logical explanation.  (thumbsu

35 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The real or counterfeit stuff?

It is the real deal , several years ago Theo original barks oil collection was shot  for video production I was the interviewer and Carl barks newsletters creator Edgar Bergen was the expert. . Rach of theirs 25 plus oils were talked about.. since that time he has sold to lessor painting of terror on the river which the ducks were small and the Christmas paintings one of weakest bards did  for the the classic family portrait peace which barks did 2 I believe... one which is on the covers of the barks painting book... the video was never released

46 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

It is the real deal , several years ago Theo original barks oil collection was shot  for video production I was the interviewer and Carl barks newsletters creator Edgar Bergen was the expert. . Rach of theirs 25 plus oils were talked about.. since that time he has sold to lessor painting of terror on the river which the ducks were small and the Christmas paintings one of weakest bards did  for the the classic family portrait peace which barks did 2 I believe... one which is on the covers of the barks painting book... the video was never released

This comment really illustrates what I meant when I said people should spell everything correctly and not type on their phones when they post...Jeez Mitch...and you're a lawyer?  C'mon...I don't even understand what you just said.  Proofread, man...proofread...:o

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

This comment really illustrates what I meant when I said people should spell everything correctly and not type on their phones when they post...Jeez Mitch...and you're a lawyer?  C'mon...I don't even understand what you just said.  Proofread, man...proofread...:o

on my phone so sometimes hit the wrong key, no chance to proofread, however, this collection is just amazing to see in person