• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Theo Holstein Superman #1 on ebay

85 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2018 at 5:55 AM, telerites said:

That ad stood out so much when I saw way back but I gotta say, Stan did it better...

lee_size3.jpg

And I am sure that Stan would also remind us from that comic shop in the sky where he is, that a regular sized comic book would simply never do here.

Similar to Bruce Banner if you got him upset and angry, if you got Stan all turned on, his Man-Thing would grow to such Hulk size proportions that not even a magazine would suffice as only an oversized Treasury book would be adequate for this picture to pass the censors.  lol

On 12/22/2018 at 6:14 PM, Robot Man said:

What? That old rag? Yeah, I got one laying around some where. Theo wants mine pretty bad. The contents are VOH #12 (#1), HOF #15 (#1), TFTC #20 (#1) and WS #13 (#2). He will have to battle it out at auction when my kids sell it. :pullhair:

Like Steve Miller once said, "Your cash ain't nothing but trash".

By the way, I recently saw a Feldstein cover recreation painting of it at a friend's house. He had Al paint it for him. Incredible in full color oil...

comtalesofterror1.jpg

I've always found it interesting that some of these remainder or rebound books such as this Tales of Terror Annual from the early 50's and the Timely Cap and Marvel Mystery 132-pagers from the mid 40's tend to go for a huge whack of money when they show up in the marketplace due to their apparent extreme rarity.

And yet when copies of the 132-page crime comics from the early 50's or the massive 196-pagers from the William Wise Company from the mid 40's show up in the marketplace, they tend to go for a fraction of these prices even though there are far fewer copies of these books out there according to the CGC census.  I guess this shows the impact of demand vis-a-vis supply in the comic book economic valuation equation.  hm

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I've always found it interesting that some of these remainder or rebound books such as this Tales of Terror Annual from the early 50's and the Timely Cap and Marvel Mystery 132-pagers from the mid 40's tend to go for a huge whack of money when they show up in the marketplace due to their apparent extreme rarity.

And yet when copies of the 132-page crime comics from the early 50's or the massive 196-pagers from the William Wise Company from the mid 40's show up in the marketplace, they tend to go for a fraction of these prices even though there are far fewer copies of these books out there according to the CGC census.  I guess this shows the impact of demand vis-a-vis supply in the comic book economic valuation equation.  hm

Tales of Terror ANN1  has incredible  contents some of which I believe differ...Look at Robo's copy VOH, HF, and TFTC number 1's...if you ever have the opportunity to get a complete and unrestored copy at a reasonable price...Grab it, I believe that Jim from HA owns the original art to this classic  cover....

Edited by Mmehdy

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Tales of Terror ANN1  has incredible  contents some of which I believe differ...Look at Robo's copy VOH, HF, and TFTC number 1's...if you ever have the opportunity to get a complete and unrestored copy at a reasonable price...Grab it, I believe that Jim from HA owns the original art to this classic  cover....

All I can say is that I have always loved the cover for this book, especially in terms of its colors and use of toning on the main character's facial expression.  :luhv:

I imagine you would lose some of that without the color on the original art, but then again, that is definitely something not to be passed up if you have the means and financail resources to obtain it.  (thumbsu