• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Superman 199 with termite hole
1 1

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KobaltDog said:

I've never seen a through-and-through termite chew maybe treated like a hole punch? 

This was from the termite pedigree-my brother's collection when he went in air force sat in my closet.  Went to open one day and riddled with termites.  They like the oldest books so GA supermans got the attention they deserve.  #34 was completely chewed around so it was just a stack of pages no spine.   They are completely random in their chewin-sometimes a book is riddled like swiss cheese, sometimes a single hole like this baby.

4 hours ago, kav said:

Has termite hole thru entire book.

True story...

I always assumed that defect was something like a tiny hot piece of steel fell on the book and burnt completely through it.

I've got a couple books with the same "Termite" holes....but to me that were so small and so perfectly through the book, I honestly just thought the owner of the book was a mechanic or worked in a shop and was cutting steel and A tiny piece flew a landed on the book and burnt a perfect little hole threw the book...

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Your explanation of termite holes make a hell of a lot more sense lollollol

anybody know if there is a limit to the highest grade a comic can get with a Termite Hole?>

Edited by billbrown7080

On 12/23/2018 at 4:20 PM, billbrown7080 said:

True story...

I always assumed that defect was something like a tiny hot piece of steel fell on the book and burnt completely through it.

I've got a couple books with the same "Termite" holes....but to me that were so small and so perfectly through the book, I honestly just thought the owner of the book was a mechanic or worked in a shop and was cutting steel and A tiny piece flew a landed on the book and burnt a perfect little hole threw the book...

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Your explanation of termite holes make a hell of a lot more sense lollollol

anybody know if there is a limit to the highest grade a comic can get with a Termite Hole?>

sadly I am an expert on termites and their eating patterns.  My duplex was consumed by them.  I could recognize their presence by a slight bubbling in the wall-stick my finger in and it passes thru-then chunks of wall pull right out seething with termites.  Looked just fine except for that slight bulge.  I know that a stack of magazines can look perfectly fine, and you pick it up and its just a thin hollow shell, glued together by termite paste-interior completely gone.  Yes they will eat a clean surgical hole right thru a book and leave the uninitiated baffled-

@oakman29 can tell U

Edited by kav

7 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Do you think its really that low?  Here's a 2.0 that the cover is a wreck, dirty, split spine and entire corner chewed off:

Screenshot 2018-12-24 at 11.04.25 PM.png

Fortunately it is not a termite hole, termites only feed on unprotected/ unprocessed wood. Milled paper is far from unprocessed paper.

It doesn't actually look like a pest at all.

Silverfish would only invade the top piece of the paper,  and a rat would eat a lot more than that small piece.

17 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Fortunately it is not a termite hole, termites only feed on unprotected/ unprocessed wood. Milled paper is far from unprocessed paper.

It doesn't actually look like a pest at all.

Silverfish would only invade the top piece of the paper,  and a rat would eat a lot more than that small piece.

Um oak, I pulled those comics out and they were riddled with live termites actively chewing on them!!!  Definitely termites eat processed paper!!!!

There were chewed tunnels and termite droppings gluing books together-the whole gamut of termite activity!!!

Just now, oakman29 said:

Are you sure?

You have no idea how sure I am-I still have nightmares about termites and....the QUEEN!   

I visibly watched in horror as termites chewed the paper in real time-RIGHT IN FRONT OF MINE EYES!!!!