• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage - Shipping
1 1

30 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

shipping cost is very similar whether you pay a buyer premium or not where it affects you is the import charge so the declared value matters.

That said, it should be declared. Legal, and insurance reasons.

Makes total sense. I guess I was on a tangent above and beyond shipping relating to the cost of using each's service. There are some that have the buyers premium and some that do not. Is there one which cost more to use, pre shipping? I guess this is outside of the purview of the thread but....

Just now, Patriot6 said:

Makes total sense. I guess I was on a tangent above and beyond shipping relating to the cost of using each's service. There are some that have the buyers premium and some that do not. Is there one which cost more to use, pre shipping? I guess this is outside of the purview of the thread but....

buyer premium is added to the cost of the book not the shipping charge. So where the buyer premium affects you is in the declared value of the book and you pay that cost.

In some cases the value of the book = free shipping.

Lower value books have more shipping options available.

I wouldn't avoid buying books from auction houses for shipping reasons is all I am trying to say. The 3 main ones I listed all have experience selling to Canada and will make it streamlined for you.

Just remember that you have to pay a 5% import fee IF Canada Customs checks the package. On higher value items you will always pay the import fee. On lower value items sometimes they get through with no customs fees.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

buyer premium is added to the cost of the book not the shipping charge. So where the buyer premium affects you is in the declared value of the book and you pay that cost.

In some cases the value of the book = free shipping.

Lower value books have more shipping options available.

I wouldn't avoid buying books from auction houses for shipping reasons is all I am trying to say. The 3 main ones I listed all have experience selling to Canada and will make it streamlined for you.

Just remember that you have to pay a 5% import fee IF Canada Customs checks the package. On higher value items you will always pay the import fee. On lower value items sometimes they get through with no customs fees.

Gotcha! Thank you for ironing that out for me.

Ive seen a thread like this somewhere or ive heard people talking about this and its a bad problem to have.

I was wondering if anyone sends their packages to their work? Or maybe to a PO? Or maybe a family member close to them that would be home?

I would think that this would save some time and grief of not getting packages.

(also im not trying to be a smarta$$)

21 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

What I am doing:

FedEx makes the delivery attempt. Once that happens I contact FedEx and arrange for them to transfer the package to a holding facility that is 5 blocks from my home. I can not transfer until they have made a delivery attempt. The whole process adds a whole day to the delivery time but I prefer to drive 5 blocks to pick it up than to drive for over an hour as the main FedEx depot is not convenient for me at all.

Was it an actual fed-ex holding location or a 3rd party, such as Walgreens et al? The latter is what I've historically done.  Just a no-go on the latest Heritage auction though.  Fed-Ex just said there was a restriction on the account that prevented them from sending to any facility other than the home address.  

15 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Was it an actual fed-ex holding location or a 3rd party, such as Walgreens et al? The latter is what I've historically done.  Just a no-go on the latest Heritage auction though.  Fed-Ex just said there was a restriction on the account that prevented them from sending to any facility other than the home address.  

I’ve re-routed shipments from Heritage to a Fedex/Kinkos site several times, as recently as early this month. Does the restriction apply only to 3rd party locations?

On 12/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, lou_fine said:
On 12/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, Artboy99 said:

is all the same. Heritage and Comicconnect declare full value, Comiclink does not.

Was your purchase valued at $500 or more?  hm

On 12/27/2018 at 4:24 PM, Artboy99 said:

It definitely was. 5 figures and I didn't pay import/ custom fees.

Although you may have paid 5 figures, did you check the Customs Declaration form to see what it was actually declared at?  hm

Edited by lou_fine