• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nervous about shipping 6 figure piece

9 posts in this topic

Working out the final details on a sale. Just have to iron out payment and delivery details. 

Everything seems to be getting more expensive all the time but this is the most that I’ve ever dealt with on a single piece. 

Buyer has suggested that I fly it out to him. 

This is videogame box art and not comic art so it might be too big to fit into a carry on. 

Any advice is welcome. 

If too big to carry on then you have two options, drive it or pay for courier service using one of those fine art packing and shipping companies. I have been in the warehouses of two of these companies and its pretty amazing to see what they have crated up. 

I am very curious what the piece is though...

What are the dimensions ?? 

It's been a few years since I've flown to a convention.  But I would take a hardsided art case as a carry-on.  The outside dimensions are 23 x 18 x 2.  I would put it in the overhead with the short end going in first.  And put my knapsack on top of it (bottom end goes in first).  Those overheads are actually pretty deep.  No staff ever questioned me about it probably because the overall volume was about the same as a regular carry-on bags on wheels.  Some passengers gave me looks but I looked like pro once I slid the art case in.  I've also put my artcase on the floor under my seat.  Most of it would fit but I would have to have my feet on top of part of it.

Also, if you sit in the back row, there is usually space between the seats and the bathroom walls.  Just stand up the art.

I also put my StudioPack in the overhead, short end (goes in first).  See this post to see:

Good luck !!

Edited by Will_K

9 hours ago, buyatari said:

Working out the final details on a sale. Just have to iron out payment and delivery details. 

Everything seems to be getting more expensive all the time but this is the most that I’ve ever dealt with on a single piece. 

Buyer has suggested that I fly it out to him. 

This is videogame box art and not comic art so it might be too big to fit into a carry on. 

Any advice is welcome. 

I shipped a 6-figure piece last year for the first time.  I bought a temporary insurance rider from Collectibles Insurance Services (formerly Collectibles Insurance Agency) to cover the shipment.  They charged me 0.05%, which I thought was very reasonable (that's $50 for $100,000 of coverage, $60 for $120,000, etc.)

If you do get a professional shipping service to send the piece, beware of getting annihilated on insurance cost (I had it happen to me once before I knew I could insure my own shipments through CIS).  

Six figures and dimensional issues...go with a fine art freight company if none of the previous posts are making sense. I had a 48x60" o/c stretched worth $8k professionally crated, fully insured, and moved from LA to NH on a dedicated "fine arts" truck for...$1k, all in. The care end of things was so overdone too; I couldn't have been more impressed unless...the artist flew it in himself and drove out to my place to hand it off in person...and picked up lunch on the way too. This made sense for a large, fragile, high four figure piece, how much more so for a six figure work? That's where I'm coming from.

7 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Is it painted on canvas?  If so, couldn’t it be removed from the frame and rolled up and sent?  Have it reattached to a new frame?  Or is that a big no-no?  

Might remove it from the frame unless the buyer wants it in frame. 

However, it can't be rolled. Like almost all videogame artwork  it is painted on board. 

14 hours ago, Will_K said:

What are the dimensions ?? 

It's been a few years since I've flown to a convention.  But I would take a hardsided art case as a carry-on.  The outside dimensions are 23 x 18 x 2.  I would put it in the overhead with the short end going in first.  And put my knapsack on top of it (bottom end goes in first).  Those overheads are actually pretty deep.  No staff ever questioned me about it probably because the overall volume was about the same as a regular carry-on bags on wheels.  Some passengers gave me looks but I looked like pro once I slid the art case in.  I've also put my artcase on the floor under my seat.  Most of it would fit but I would have to have my feet on top of part of it.

Also, if you sit in the back row, there is usually space between the seats and the bathroom walls.  Just stand up the art.

I also put my StudioPack in the overhead, short end (goes in first).  See this post to see:

Good luck !!

I'm going to have to remove it from the frame to get the exact size but while bigger than your comic art page it isn't huge. Not sure what the limits are for a carry on as I haven't flown since 2004 or so. 

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I shipped a 6-figure piece last year for the first time.  I bought a temporary insurance rider from Collectibles Insurance Services (formerly Collectibles Insurance Agency) to cover the shipment.  They charged me 0.05%, which I thought was very reasonable (that's $50 for $100,000 of coverage, $60 for $120,000, etc.)

If you do get a professional shipping service to send the piece, beware of getting annihilated on insurance cost (I had it happen to me once before I knew I could insure my own shipments through CIS).  

6 hours ago, vodou said:

Six figures and dimensional issues...go with a fine art freight company if none of the previous posts are making sense. I had a 48x60" o/c stretched worth $8k professionally crated, fully insured, and moved from LA to NH on a dedicated "fine arts" truck for...$1k, all in. The care end of things was so overdone too; I couldn't have been more impressed unless...the artist flew it in himself and drove out to my place to hand it off in person...and picked up lunch on the way too. This made sense for a large, fragile, high four figure piece, how much more so for a six figure work? That's where I'm coming from.

Thanks for the advice guys. I do appreciate it. 

Early on in my collecting days I had a bad experience and lost some irreplaceable art in a UPS train derailment. This is sort of thing that keeps me up at night 

Edited by buyatari