• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goofiest SA DC stories?

48 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:20 AM, kav said:

DC had some pretty wacky stories lets face it Lois Lane turning into a baby-heck most everyone in DC turned into babies including the Legion on at least 2 separate occasions.  Marvel never did that stuff.  No baby Spider Man for example. 

I disagree...

aa2.jpg.e474705569311fe2b3796e71714bef9d.jpg

11 hours ago, kav said:

What about this goofy story-it turns out Jor El and Lara are not dead-just in suspended animation.  The rocket is kryptonite tho so there's NO WAY to save them so Stupidboy just leaves em there.  Now I can think of a dozen ways to save them including merely getting a robot to haul em out or exposing em to Gold K but not ol Stupidboy:

158-1.jpg

still good cover though !!

I always thought George Tuska's art lent itself well to drawing Iron Man's armor, but his faces and especially the mouth/teeth, were almost too cartoonish. This splash page from Iron Man #10 is quite nice though, maybe made better by Johnny Craig's inks.

george tuska mandarin.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I always thought George Tuska's art lent itself well to drawing Iron Man's armor, but his faces and especially the mouth/teeth, were almost too cartoonish. This splash page from Iron Man #10 is quite nice though, maybe made better by Johnny Craig's inks.

Thank you.  I tried googling images from Tuska's Iron Mans to show everyone, but the art is so bad, it probably broke any scanner it was sitting on.  We're talking worse than the worst Larsen, worse than Scott Kolins inking his own stuff, worse than the laziest JR Jr you've ever seen.  I don't understand how the publisher accepted any of it.

22 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Thank you.  I tried googling images from Tuska's Iron Mans to show everyone, but the art is so bad, it probably broke any scanner it was sitting on.  We're talking worse than the worst Larsen, worse than Scott Kolins inking his own stuff, worse than the laziest JR Jr you've ever seen.  I don't understand how the publisher accepted any of it.

That has always been my thought-WTF why is this guy drawing comics???

I think his work was serviceable, and for the time, he was probably one of the handful of artists  that could do it and stay on schedule.

Thanks to all the information posted on the boards here over the past several years, I have grown to have a greater understanding and appreciation of how comic books were made. It was actually quite a process and to think that every month or so back in the day, we got a fresh book with new stories and art all for only 10-12-15 cents is absolutely amazing. My hat is off to all the people who made it possible and give me something to look forward to as a child and young adult, even the stuff we now regard as god awful art and goofy stories.

Edited by Jaylam