• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest Overstreet Advisor

67 posts in this topic

Of course I still have some questions about the whole thing.

Did Darth approach Overstreet for this? Did Overstreet approach Darth??

Is Darth getting paid for this (he wouldn't do it for free, would he?)

Is there any motivation for Darth to report things objectively? (i.e, reporting pricing info that can be verified by an independent party, any checks and balances, etc).

"I feel fully confident that I can accomplish what was asked of me." Will you tell us what was asked of you? Please explain what your role will be (Modern only, Review only?).

Was Darth chosen because of his rabid pro-CGC stance, to balance out any other Advisors that may be just as anti-CGC?

Is this indicative of Overstreet trying to compete with Krause's reporting of CGC prices, bringing in Ebay powersellers that specialize in slabbed Modern books? (In the Annual as well as the Review?)

To the best of my knowledge, no Advisors are paid anything for offering their opinion.

"Is there any motivation for Darth to report things objectively?"

The same motivation as for any other Advisor.

"Is this indicative of Overstreet trying to compete with Krause's reporting of CGC prices, bringing in Ebay powersellers that specialize in slabbed Modern books?"

And the speculation just keeps a-comin'...

As far as I know - I've never actually been involved in choosing someone or asking someone, so I don't know directly - anyone who wants to advise on pricing and demonstrates a genuine desire to provide a lot of feedback, get it in to us in a timely manner and can offer a viewpoint that either confirms existing data or adds to our picture of the market is definitely in the running. But I do believe that largely advisors have been approached and asked because of some familiarity with someone or other, having demonstrated interest, reliability, or something like that. Sorry to be vague, but even being a part of it, I'm basically just supposing. There's no "application" or anything.

And the next meeting of the Overstreet Advisors' Initiation Committee meets this Wednesday night at the barbecue pit. Bring your bibs.

Here are the straight answers:

Overstreet Advisors don't get paid per say, thought they usually promote their "status" in auctions, store front, conventions, etc. and use the title to make more money.

Overstreet takes the advisor price data and market reports, and if Darth starts rambling on about how USM #1 will be worth $20 million in 10 years or states that he sold an Orign CGC 10.0 for $150K, if Bob wants to print it, it'll show up somewhere.

Whole lotta scratching goin' on... grin.gif