• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Then Ill return this damn book to him and get my money back he posted a false ad saying its mint if its not 9.0 or above its a lie and I can get a refund

Twice now you've threatened to request a return/refund on a book due to your own lack of understanding.  Such behavior is often frowned upon by and is usually enough to make boardies not want to deal with you should you ever seek to engage in any of the sales threads here.  I imagine many users on these boards would like to know your eBay user handle so they can avoid dealing with you there as well.

The images shown are clearly not mint.  Despite what the seller posts, you need to make your own informed decisions based on all the information provided.  And that doesn't just apply to comics.  In real life situations, you should learn about a subject to formulate an opinion instead of blindly accepting someone's word as fact.

This all comes from experience and just takes time.  The PGM section of the board is probably a great resource for you to start with as people routinely post ungraded books, receive opinions from veteran boardies, and then even post the final results when they get it back from CGC.  Submitting your own books and then seeing the score vs what you expected should quickly teach you what a 9.4 vs an 8.5 vs a 7.5 looks like.  Albeit, an expensive lesson.  A cheaper way would be to find hi-res photos online of books that have already been graded.  Look at examples of CGC 7.0, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, etc to get an idea of the kind, number, and severity of defects on books across the grading range.

40 minutes ago, MadripoorNights said:

Oh man, a preview for an upcoming "It's Friday!" thread.  It's only Monday and I'm already excited.

It's not often we can plan for a friday thread!

I'll bring the chips and guac' 

I got the package I will post what I got and how its shipped in an hour or 2 about to get off work. Surprised it came this quick when only estimated to arrive Friday.

Dont know why I dont feel happy about this .

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

to be scammed is to be deceived or defrauded. 

While the seller said "mint" in his listings he did include enough pictures to show that the book was most definitely not mint. You can return the book for a refund (possibly losing out on some shipping costs) based on the book not matching the description, but we all know that pictures are worth a thousand words, and the pictures here should have been enough to wave you off of the word "mint"

What an actual scam would look like....

... he sends you a different book and then takes his paypal account offline

...he sends you a worse looking copy of the book with obvious differences that is worth less than the one you bid on and won. 

...he sends you an empty box. 

that would be getting scammed badly. 

What happened to you was your lack of expertise ran into his lack of expertise and you lost out. Happens to everyone at some point in some way, sometimes big, sometimes small. $70 bucks is not the worst cost for a lesson, but its never fun. 

This.  The OP didn't get "scammed".  He's just uneducated.   If the seller provided those pics, it's obvious to anyone that understands grading (even a little) that the book isn't a NM or VF/NM or even a VF.  It's a lesson learned (for not too expensive a price).

Also, the "tears" on the bottom front are extremely common on ASM361.  It's a printing defect and CGC will not hit those as hard as they would a real tear.  

4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Twice now you've threatened to request a return/refund on a book due to your own lack of understanding.  Such behavior is often frowned upon by and is usually enough to make boardies not want to deal with you should you ever seek to engage in any of the sales threads here.  I imagine many users on these boards would like to know your eBay user handle so they can avoid dealing with you there as well.

The images shown are clearly not mint.  Despite what the seller posts, you need to make your own informed decisions based on all the information provided.  And that doesn't just apply to comics.  In real life situations, you should learn about a subject to formulate an opinion instead of blindly accepting someone's word as fact.

This all comes from experience and just takes time.  The PGM section of the board is probably a great resource for you to start with as people routinely post ungraded books, receive opinions from veteran boardies, and then even post the final results when they get it back from CGC.  Submitting your own books and then seeing the score vs what you expected should quickly teach you what a 9.4 vs an 8.5 vs a 7.5 looks like.  Albeit, an expensive lesson.  A cheaper way would be to find hi-res photos online of books that have already been graded.  Look at examples of CGC 7.0, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, etc to get an idea of the kind, number, and severity of defects on books across the grading range.

Ok I might of been a little harsh in my responses saying I got scammed or I want to return this or that but I am a honest person. I run my own business in healthcare and I strive on integrity and honesty. I know the seller did not have good intentions with this sale the way the pictures were taken and what I got in the mail and what was being described. I am actually one of the best people to deal with when it comes to selling and buying items on ebay or amazon because I when I sell I explain every possible defect and give every possible angle to not make the consumer have no doubt in what they are about to receive or purchase from me. I guess not everyone who sells on ebay has this type of intention.  I guess I had a lot of good positive sales and purchases on ebay that made me think the ebay and amazon community for the most part are honest people, But yes I should of done a little more research into what I was purchasing and not jump the gun and bid blindly based on descriptions. For example I I am about to list the Cage # 1 1992 on ebay and this is how I list photos for comics on ebay. I am not blaming the seller this is my fault and should of been more "educated" in my purchases. 

Here is the 12 images I use when post a comic on ebay 

Cage #1 1992 (THIS COMIC HAD NO BACKBOARD AND WAS KEEP IN A MYLAR BAG IN MY CLOSET IN A BOX FOR OVER 10 YEARS THAT WAS LOSELY PLACED IN THE BOX THAT GOT SHIFTED AND TOSS AND TURNED A LOT. THE QUALITY OF THIS COMIC COMPARED TO THE CARNAGE EBAY SELLER WHO SAID HIS IS "Mint" is mind boggling to me. I DID NOT TAKE ANY CARE OF THIS CAGE #1 COMIC AND IS WAY MORE SUPERIOR IN QUALITY THAN THE CARNAGE COMIC.

THE BACK AREA CLOSE TO THE SPINE IS A LITTLE BEAT UP BUT OTHER THAN THAT FOR BEING SHOVED INTO A BOX I THINK THIS IS GREAT CONDITION. The Comic lies flat for the most part and this will be going up on ebay.

This is how I post things on ebay and my stupidity for basing my purchase on 3 or 4 crappy images taken at bad angles

20190107_043049.jpg

20190107_041606-min.jpg

20190107_041621-min.jpg

20190107_041655-min.jpg

20190107_041714-min.jpg

20190107_041726-min.jpg

20190107_041742-min.jpg

20190107_041818-min.jpg

20190107_041856-min.jpg

20190107_041913-min.jpg

20190107_041926-min.jpg

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

This image alone sums up my anger to this seller. I would never in my life sold something saying its mint or even Fine without posting this angle. Anyway you guys enjoy and tell me what I should do. I might resell this on ebay and post the exact photos I posted here and be honest. I got this for 76 dollars so what grade do you guys think this is and what you think I can even get back. Should I at least email the seller and tell him I am unhappy but yes I will not return this item unless you guys think I should and ill just suck it up and lesson learned the hard way

20190107_125826.jpg

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

8 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Ok I might of been a little harsh in my responses saying I got scammed or I want to return this or that but I am a honest person. I run my own business in healthcare and I strive on integrity and honesty. I know the seller did not have good intentions with this sale the way the pictures were taken and what I got in the mail and what was being described. I am actually one of the best people to deal with when it comes to selling and buying items on ebay or amazon because I when I sell I explain every possible defect and give every possible angle to not make the consumer have no doubt in what they are about to receive or purchase from me. I guess not everyone who sells on ebay has this type of intention.  I guess I had a lot of good positive sales and purchases on ebay that made me think the ebay and amazon community for the most part are honest people, But yes I should of done a little more research into what I was purchasing and not jump the gun and bid blindly based on descriptions. For example I I am about to list the Cage # 1 1992 on ebay and this is how I list photos for comics on ebay. I am not blaming the seller this is my fault and should of been more "educated" in my purchases. 

Here is the 12 images I use when post a comic on ebay 

Cage #1 1992 (THIS COMIC HAD NO BACKBOARD AND WAS KEEP IN A MYLAR BAG IN MY CLOSET IN A BOX FOR OVER 10 YEARS THAT WAS LOSELY PLACED IN THE BOX THAT GOT SHIFTED AND TOSS AND TURNED A LOT. THE QUALITY OF THIS COMIC COMPARED TO THE CARNAGE EBAY SELLER WHO SAID HIS IS "Mint" is mind boggling to me. I DID NOT TAKE ANY CARE OF THIS CAGE #1 COMIC AND IS WAY MORE SUPERIOR IN QUALITY THAN THE CARNAGE COMIC THE BACK AREA CLOSE TO THE SPINE IS A LITTLE BEAT UP BUT OTHER THAN THAT FOR BEING SHOVED INTO A BOX I THINK THIS IS GREAT CONDITION. The Comic lies flat for the most part and this will be going up on ebay.

20190107_043049.jpg

20190107_041606-min.jpg

20190107_041621-min.jpg

20190107_041655-min.jpg

20190107_041714-min.jpg

20190107_041726-min.jpg

20190107_041742-min.jpg

20190107_041818-min.jpg

20190107_041856-min.jpg

20190107_041913-min.jpg

20190107_041926-min.jpg

A quick eBay search brings up exactly what I expected.  A NM copy of this book is being sold for $1 or Best Offer (plus shipping).  The most recent sale was two copies of the book selling for $1.99.  The book is easily found in the $0.25 bin at LCS's.  Your copy is in rough shape for a modern book with a lot of color breaking creases along the spine, worn on the bottom of the comic, another color breaking crease on the top back, plus whatever I can't identify on the cover.  Needless to say, i wouldn't even waste my time posting that book on eBay, let alone attempt selling it anywhere.  That books sole purpose in life at this point is to just be read and have some sort of nostalgic value.  Any monetary value from it is long gone.

2 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

This image alone sums up my anger to this seller. I would never in my life sold something saying its mint or even Fine without posting this angle. Anyway you guys enjoy and tell me what I should do I will do I might resell this on ebay and post the exact photos I posted here and be honest. I got this for 76 so what grade do you guys think this is and what you think I can even get back. Should I at least email the seller and tell him I am unhappy but yes I will not return this item unless you guys think I should and ill just suck it up and lesson learned the hard way

20190107_125826.jpg

I'd probably email and ask for a partial refund.  The actual book looks worst than the photos.  Otherwise, I'd probably keep it as a reader copy.  People are so fixated on collecting and preserving that they overlook the reading part.  Sometimes it's nice to have a mid grade copy of a book where you're not worried about ruining it.

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

A quick eBay search brings up exactly what I expected.  A NM copy of this book is being sold for $1 or Best Offer (plus shipping).  The most recent sale was two copies of the book selling for $1.99.  The book is easily found in the $0.25 bin at LCS's.  Your copy is in rough shape for a modern book with a lot of color breaking creases along the spine, worn on the bottom of the comic, another color breaking crease on the top back, plus whatever I can't identify on the cover.  Needless to say, i wouldn't even waste my time posting that book on eBay, let alone attempt selling it anywhere.  That books sole purpose in life at this point is to just be read and have some sort of nostalgic value.  Any monetary value from it is long gone.

then I will post it for .99 cents I already read this several times and enjoyed the comic just giving up for someone else. I am not selling comics to get "Big Bucks" that attempt by the masses was tried in the early 1990s and almost destroyed the comic industry.

Thanks for your input

1 minute ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Is this being on the generous end?

Yes...

With a heck of a press...

That crunch is something else, I only saw one side in the bottom front left corner and past judgement as it is nowhere near NM  :foryou:

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'd probably email and ask for a partial refund.  The actual book looks worst than the photos.  Otherwise, I'd probably keep it as a reader copy.  People are so fixated on collecting and preserving that they overlook the reading part.  Sometimes it's nice to have a mid grade copy of a book where you're not worried about ruining it.

Yes i am about to email the seller back and see what he has to say or just get ebay involved. If nothing comes then so be it.

Your right the pictures do not look like what I got and the angles taken in the auction the seller posted where done with bad intent. 

1 minute ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

then I will post it for .99 cents I already read this several times and enjoyed the comic just giving up for someone else. I am not selling comics to get "Big Bucks" that attempt by the masses was tried in the early 1990s and almost destroyed the comic industry.

Thanks for your input

I don't think you followed my line of thought.  If someone is trying to sell a NM copy for $1, what makes you think your F-VF copy will sell for $0.99?  Why would someone buy a book from eBay for a $1, when they can go to their LCS and buy the same book (with a little hunting) for $0.25?  I mean, the only people that would buy it are 1) people who DESPERATELY need a copy, 2) someone who's illinformed on comics/collecting.

12 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

PART 2

This Comic is pretty ok but Ill let you guys decide what grade you think this would get and the one corner is a complete mess. And back nearest to the spine has several dings which I have marked in red.

20190107_125635.jpg

20190107_125826.jpg

20190107_130018.jpg

This 1st and last pic alone makes 7.5, but that middle I'd say 5.5 perhaps...

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
20 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This 1st and last pic alone makes 7.5, but that middle I'd say 5.5 perhaps...

getting there...

it is a 5.0 :foryou:

That really made me chuckle :shy:

It's  5.0 ;)