• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When a comic makes you wanna tell others...
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2019 at 4:31 PM, valiantman said:

I'll admit, I had never heard of this comic book before I saw it in a Heritage Auction catalog last year.

0916482001_1200.jpg

...and I'll admit that I had heard about Dr. Occult as a "prototype superhero" earlier than Superman...

droccult.png

...but I dismissed it.   "That's just a D.ck Tracy knock-off and D.ck Tracy wins that contest since he's from 1931 and Dr. Occult is from 1935" is what I told myself.

If Dr. Occult first appeared in New Fun Comics #6 (October 1935), then what's the big deal about Comics Magazine #1 (May 1936)?

I didn't know.  So I "googled it".

A few months later, I own that comic book shown above... and I have registered DrOccult.com ... and I am spreading the word to the other clueless guys like me.

None of this information will be news to the regular super-collectors in this Golden Age forum, but there might be a few younger guys who find their way in here at some point.

"Koth and The Seven" should be seen... and there aren't enough copies of Comics Magazine #1 and More Fun Comics #14-#17 to go around.

Scans and a cool website name for Dr. Occult will have to do.

Let the learning begin!

Presenting... DrOccult.com

drmystic.png

thanks for the info  love the COmic Mag........ i didnt know about it always thought MF#14 was the first one...........

Edited by srbeausoleil

2 hours ago, srbeausoleil said:

thanks for the info  love the COmic Mag........ i didnt know about it always thought MF#14 was the first one...........

Comic Mag #1 is also the first Centaur comic, so it has been overlooked for two reasons. lol

On 1/10/2019 at 1:31 PM, valiantman said:

I'll admit, I had never heard of this comic book before I saw it in a Heritage Auction catalog last year.

0916482001_1200.jpg

Now, that's an absolutely stunning copy to get relative to the assigned CGC grade.  :luhv:

I always love these nicely presenting copies where you can get tyhem for a bargain of a price simply because of the one major defect which knocks the grade right down to much more afforadable levels.  hm  :takeit: