• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the best scanner to use for slabbed books

61 posts in this topic

Check out with Hewlett-Packard scanners. Even their under $100 low end ones have amazing depth of field (ability to have objects a distance from the glass in focus) and can clearly scan the text in the CGC labels as well as the book covers.

You would need an 8 1/2 x 14 for a one-shot scan, or you can use an 8 1/2 x 11 to scan the body of the book, and a separate scan of the upper part showing the label.

Check out with Hewlett-Packard scanners. Even their under $100 low end ones have amazing depth of field (ability to have objects a distance from the glass in focus) and can clearly scan the text in the CGC labels as well as the book covers.

You would need an 8 1/2 x 14 for a one-shot scan, or you can use an 8 1/2 x 11 to scan the body of the book, and a separate scan of the upper part showing the label.

I echo what Pov says. I just recently purchased the Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 3970 for less than a hundred bucks at Best Buy, and it does a nice job with slabbed books.

would anybody be able to post a scan of a slabbed book? so I could perhaps see the quality and what I could expect if I were to buy one.

Here's one from my scanner(though it doesn't include the top of the slab):

scan00282ti.jpg

would anybody be able to post a scan of a slabbed book? so I could perhaps see the quality and what I could expect if I were to buy one.

scan00282ti.jpg

thumbsup2.gif that is a very good quality scan what make and model scanner are you using? hail.gif

scan00282ti.jpg

thumbsup2.gif that is a very good quality scan what make and model scanner are you using? hail.gif

Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 3970

I've got a mustek A3 scanner. Works GREAT for my original art (no more scanning in 3 sections and piecing it together, LOOKY LOOKY ). As far as scanning Slabs, they look like a blurry -storm frustrated.gif .(I can email you some pics if you like, just holla )

Thanks for the info! thumbsup2.gif I'll probably go with the HP then. Scanning slabs clearly is more important to me.

Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 3970

"USB interfaces support Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, 2000 Professional, Me and Mac."

Not XP? confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't imagine it wouldn't work for XP, though I still have 98, so I don't know for sure. Sorry. sorry.gif

One would think. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's the HP 3970 driver site I found with lists XP.

AND.... here's a better "compatible operating systems" list which includes XP. yay.gif

Going to buy one soon. Then, I'll have all new questions about best operating parameters. tongue.gif

I use the HP Officejet 7110 All-In-One. It has a legal-sized scan bed so you can scan the entire slab. You can get these cheaply on ebay. Below is a scan I made with it. The current model of HP All-In-One that is analogous is the Officejet 7310, which costs $350 on HPshopping.com. HPshopping.com also has a promotion right now where if you buy in the next month or so, you can get financing with 12 months no payments/no interest.

batman52-75.jpg

FFB, beautiful book and scan.

I know your not an HP rep(well, I don't KNOW, but i'm guessing) but do you know if they have a model with the same size bed and scan capabilities without all the extras (printer and such). It seems in order to get the larger bed you gotta get the other. I just want a scanner.

Mike

p.s. GOD, this scanner thing has gone on for too long