• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Dollar Digests

40 posts in this topic

So, what did everyone think of Marvel's Dollar Digests (Fantastic Four: First Family, Amazing Spider-Man: Amazing Fantasy, Hulk: Smash, Avengers: Assemble, X-Men: Children of the Atom and Spider-Man:Doctor Octopus)? I was quite impressed. One dollar for three issues (albeit abridged and in black and white) of classic Marvel comics isn't bad. I just hope Marvel does the right thing and gets these books into Wal-Marts and other stores so kids can read the adventures of our favorite Marvel Super-Heroes. Sixty-four pages for a buck is great. My favorite part of the whole deal, the cheap, newsprint pages. Give us more of these, Marvel! And DC take note! Marvel's gone and done it again — they're making strides at getting comics back into the hands of kids.

(The biggest problem I found, though, was that there was only one retailer within 200 miles of my house that actually got the Dollar Digests and she got two of them. The rest said they'd never heard anything about them and didn't know they were released or how to get them. That sucks because these are great.)

Good job, Marvel Comics! Keep these Dollar Digests coming and I'll keep buying them! 869225-x-mendigest.jpg

869225-x-mendigest.jpg.fc1d7c25cccb0ed181c22e3227dc2a10.jpg

Why not just buy the Marvel Essentials?

You completely miss the point of what I'm saying. For comic book collectors, Essentials are great. For kids and adults who aren't able to get the Essentials, these Dollar Digests (if they're ever offered in retail and convenience stores) are great for kids. They're cheap and easy to pack around and to store away.

I have the Essentials. However, not all kids have access to $17 a book, while many could squeeze a buck out of their parents for one of these. And, if these Dollar Digests are placed at checkout counters in retail stores and convenience stores, then we might see more children reading comics, thus ensuring we have future generations of comic readers. Plus, these digests could sit beside the Archie digests in stores and would open up many kids to the wonders of comic books. I haven't seen any Essentials sitting at checkout stands or on the book racks at Wal-Mart, have you?

Essentials are great for people who have a comic store near them. But, if you're like the kids in my town, you don't get Essentials, because the nearest comic store is 80 miles away.

Dollar Digests are a great way to get comics back into the hands of kids so that print runs go back up and the comic market experiences a boom — before it goes bust.

I understand what your saying about getting these into the hands of kids at the affordable price. However your post gave the impression that you were excited to buy these for yourself, and that you would continue to buy them if published. I merely suggested that the Essentials are a far better product than the MDD.

Will kids buy into them, probably not. Besides I think kids have more access money than you think they do. After all, how much do you think the average video game costs?

I understand what your saying about getting these into the hands of kids at the affordable price. However your post gave the impression that you were excited to buy these for yourself, and that you would continue to buy them if published. I merely suggested that the Essentials are a far better product than the MDD.

Will kids buy into them, probably not. Besides I think kids have more access money than you think they do. After all, how much do you think the average video game costs?

Agreed. Kids these days are spoiled rotten and given free reign to act how they want to act. When I have kids, they're going to know what a leather belt is, just as I did when I was young.

Agreed. Kids these days are spoiled rotten and given free reign to act how they want to act. When I have kids, they're going to know what a leather belt is, just as I did when I was young.

Was this because your dad got tired of you telling him that your teachers didn't know how to grade? poke2.gif

Was this because your dad got tired of you telling him that your teachers didn't know how to grade? poke2.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

A good friend is a teacher. The stories he tells me about parents today makes me soooo glad I didn't go into education.

But even so, it's all about perceived value, both to the kid and parents.

A video game will provide untold hours of silence, while a comic... maybe 5-10 minutes. Do the math.

Please, my elementary school teachers didn't even grade my work because I was working on math workbooks 3 grade levels higher than what they taught. makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

Kids these days are spoiled rotten and given free reign to act how they want to act.

gossip.gif "Free rein". It's a horsemanship term, not a sovereignty term. smile.gif

I always thought it was meteorological - "free rain" confused-smiley-013.gif

No, that's Purple Rain...

Kids these days are spoiled rotten and given free reign to act how they want to act.

gossip.gif "Free rein". It's a horsemanship term, not a sovereignty term. smile.gif

foreheadslap.gif Unfortunately, I don't know a d.a.m.n. thing about horses.

...or comics. poke2.gif

But even so, it's all about perceived value, both to the kid and parents.

From the sound of these Digests, and I haven't actually seen one yet, 3 issues for a buck sounds like quite the value compared to the Flip issues priced at $4 a pop...

Jim

...or comics. poke2.gif

Oh that was cold! I set myself up for that one! ... Troll.

...or comics. poke2.gif

Oh that was cold! I set myself up for that one! ... Troll.

acclaim.gif

Please, my elementary school teachers didn't even grade my work because I was working on math workbooks 3 grade levels higher than what they taught. makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

And English texts 3 grades lower. 27_laughing.gif