• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics That Brought You Back

43 posts in this topic

Towards the end of the Byrne X-Men run (post-Phoenix/Jean Grey Death) I pretty well stopped collecting comics. Most of the books were becoming pretty crappy, I was growing up, and sports and gals beckoned.

This is the book that brought me back to the fold about 6 years later. It wasn't until a year or two after that I got seriously into collecting back issues again, but this was the initial spark.

1f_1_b.JPG

I saw the cover at a 7-11, and for some reason I just picked it up on a whim. It was a good one to start with, as the Hobgoblin Saga had a lot of similarities to the Bronze Age ASM, and was one of the better Marvel comics at the time.

I also picked this one up at the same time, which got me back into the X-Men, and caused me to complete a NM run of the issues I was missing:

a7_1_b.JPG

Anyone else?

I was losing interest in comics in the mid eighties, but my interest was piqued when a punk shop on South Street in Philly called Zipperhead* started selling comics just as Miller's DARK KNIGHT took the comics world by storm. DARK KNIGHT really awoke my love for comics, and I started collecting back issues again, including many I couldn't afford when I was a kid with a six dollar a week allowance. It was a fun time.

*No, I wasn't a punk rocker, but everyone went into Zipperhead if you walked on South Street. It was just a fun and crazy store.

I was finishing up college (or maybe it was the year before I started grad school, I don't recall exactly) and had stopped collecting comics for a few years (in high school I had still tried to keep my runs of X-Men, Daredevil, and Iron Man going). I worked part time at a college bookstore and they got in these two cool trade paperbacks. One was called "The Dark Knight Returns" by some guy named Miller that I liked when he had done Daredevil. The other was called "Watchmen" by a bloke named Moore. 27_laughing.gif

I read them both and was hooked and sought out the local comic shop in Iowa City immediately. I never stopped buying/reading comics again. cloud9.gif

After almost 10-year haitus, the news of Frank Miller doing the sequel to DKR is what got me back into the comic shop.

What kept me coming back (and got me hooked back on comics) was, without a doubt, Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Preacher. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I devoured all 9 trades w/in a month.

After almost 10-year haitus, the news of Frank Miller doing the sequel to DKR is what got me back into the comic shop.

What kept me coming back (and got me hooked back on comics) was, without a doubt, Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Preacher. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I devoured all 9 trades w/in a month.

Wow, that is saying a lot about Preacher. Must have been a hard choice for you to spend $$ on comics instead of booze....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Defenders #10.

I'd recently moved and there was really no place to buy comics so I kind of quit for a few months. Then I saw that Thor-Hulk classic cover and the comic bug returned.

Went on hiatus for about 20 years (started in '74 and stopped in '79)... got the bug back at my 15-year high school reunion what with all of that nostalgia floating around.

Went into a shop and spied Avengers with Perez artwork... and that got me hooked all over again.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The issue that brought me back was Avengers 57 and Thor 168. It was 2003 and i was tired of flipping baseball cards so i started looking at comics on Ebay and trying to figure out what I wanted to collect. I walked into a comic store that a friend i taught with knew a guy who had some consignment stuff there. I looked up at the board and saw the Avengers 57 and it just hooked me. Well, me, my teacher friend and this guy met up and he brought some Thors and that Avengers 57. So i bought the Thor 168 (f-) and the Avengers 57 (f/vf) along with a few other books. Hence my desire to do Thor and Avengers runs.

Peter David and Todd McFarlane on Incredible Hulk. They turned the entire series around.

Oh yeah, a couple of years earlier but, The Killing Joke. Still one of the all time great 1-shots.

I stopped reading/buying comics around 1983...

I missed the start of the cross-over phenomenon

I missed Watchmen

I missed DKR

I missed Comics starting to sell millions of copies

I missed Image

I missed Liefeld

I missed the indy-boom

I missed that horrible decade of comics called "the nineties"

this comic brought me back

Amazing_36_cvr.jpg

Since reading about this comic in a national news magazine, driving to another town that had a comic shop, buying it and reading it, I've bought over 10.000 different comics during the last 3 years and comics have become the biggest obsession I've ever known in my life

And I'm still glad I missed, Image, Liefeld and "the nineties" cool.gif

And I'm still glad I missed, Image, Liefeld and "the nineties" cool.gif

Hey, I was buying new comics until around 1992, and I managed to only buy a total of 2 copies of Image books (WildCATS #1 and #2), so it's not like everyone go suckered. The dumbest thing I ever bought was a Gold New Mutants #87 as a "reading copy". I also bought 2 "Death of Superman" black bag's at cover, but otherwise I kept my nose clean..

I think I really stopped buying new comics after McFarlane left ASM, as nothing else Marvel was producing appealed to me. I just pushed that money into back issues, and non-key back issues were really cheap..... grin.gif

So I have fond memories of the 90's, especially observing the lunatic speculators act like they had found God when the latest #1 rolled in. cloud9.gif

Well, I stopped buying comics actively in 1976 (post Incredible Hulk #181), and I have to say what brought me back in 2002, was when I saw what the Hulk #181's were selling for. So I rolled up my sleeves and pulled my books out of the basement, and sold my two Hulk #181's . . . and the rest is his_story grin.gif

From 1974 - 1983 I continued to buy undergrounds - but had lost interest in mainstream comics when I was 15. In 1981 I got into a conversation with someone who was raving about Miller's Daredevil - I filed the info away and 2 years later when I was making a periodic visit to a comic shop to look for any new undergrounds, on a whim bought the last dozen or so Miller Daredevils out of back stock for around cover price. I got hooked - picked up the rest of his initial run and started buying the title monthly, even though Miller was no longer doing it. It was the gateway comic back into collecting more mainstream titles - largely due to the explosion of independents at the time - many of which straddled the line between undergrounds and mainstream comics. Outside of DD -I didn't buy many other Marvels - Punisher briefly as I had been a fan of Andy Helfer's Shadow, and the Weapon X story line in MCP due to the Barry Smith art are two early exceptions- and to this day I rarely buy more than one or two Marvel books a month. DC is where I"ve found alot more interesting books- largely due to it's success with the British Invasion writers, DC seemed more willing to take chances with various prestige format series, Elseworlds projects and Veritgo and it's precursors.

I started collecting in 1976 and stopped in 1982. In 1989 Cosmopolitan magazine ran an article about Dark Horse comics in one of their issues. My wife knew that I had a couple of long boxes of comics from prior to our marriage cut out the article for me. This propmted me to visit my LCS and I have been actively re-collecting since.