• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me understand why people dont like Batman Begins

46 posts in this topic

I want those 2 hours back of my life for War of the Worlds.

I know this isn't the WotW thread, but I couldn't agree more. I just took my 12 year old cousin to see it, and you know you're in trouble when the little dude is sitting there just counting plot hole after plot hole.

Why is Boston magically protected from the invasion?

How come Tom Cruise never tried to turn on a TV or a radio when he arrives at his ex-wife's house?

Why the hell were all those people scrambling to get on a boat? Did they think they were going to outrun the aliens by floating really fast?

Oh I could go on...

BTW Batman Begins has the most critical success so far, at 83%

Batman 78%

Batman Returns 80%

Batman Forever 51%

Batman & Robin (Super Turkey) at 13%

FF 25%

80% for Batman Returns. 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

Yeah, I don't get that at all. screwy.gif Did anyone like Batman Returns better than the original? I sure as hell didn't...

I did when RETURNS was first released, mainly because of the very strong performances(especially from Michelle Pfeiffer). These days I definitely prefer '89, but both are far from being good Batman movies. But they are both interesting as vehicles for Tim Burton's creativity and weirdness.

One other thing that occured to me about this flick is that IMO it was not a "feast for the eyes". Batman may have gone over the top with the Joker colors, but the Joker himself was very visually exciting, so were the Batman action scenes and general cinematography. Batman Returns had the sexy Catwoman and more visually stunning scenes although the Penguin scenes were a little over the top. The Batman Begins action was mostly too close up, could not really see what was going on at times and this is not fun to watch. Batmobile was an eyesore.

To me the stuff you are referring to as being a "feast for the eyes" is the hollywood machine in overdrive pushing special effects and loopy gimicks at us. May as well put rubber genitals on all the costumes to.

You forget who you're talking too. Sid doesn't buy comics to read, he buys them for the covers. That's the type of mentality you're dealing with & I guess it carries over to movies too. Not right or wrong, just different. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Everyone has a different mentality but the fact that I don't read comics does not correlate with my interest in movies at all. And remember, I never said this flick was bad, I enjoyed it, I'm just stating that I liked the first two Batman flicks better. That includes the visualization, storylines, chemistry and overall entertainment value of those two movies. And there was just as much "Hollywood" in this flick as any comic book movie, just darker scenes and lighting is the only difference. I thought Keaton was a better Batman as well.

OK, that's MY opinion. I'm not a contrarian either. Some people have different tastes. Simple as that. It's nothing more.

I want those 2 hours back of my life for War of the Worlds.

I know this isn't the WotW thread, but I couldn't agree more. I just took my 12 year old cousin to see it, and you know you're in trouble when the little dude is sitting there just counting plot hole after plot hole.

Why is Boston magically protected from the invasion?

How come Tom Cruise never tried to turn on a TV or a radio when he arrives at his ex-wife's house?

Why the hell were all those people scrambling to get on a boat? Did they think they were going to outrun the aliens by floating really fast?

Oh I could go on...

Let me continue:

How could thousands (if not millions) of alien machines be buried underneath us for millions of years and not one be discovered? I realize the earth is thousands of miles deep, but come on.

How did Tim Robbins find out about the aliens having planned this invasion for a million years? Is he psychic?? Also, you'd think that with a million years worth of planning, they could've at least tested the earth's atmosphere or food supply for any contamination prior to invading. If they had waited this long, why not wait a little longer. The thing I hate about alien movies, is that technically they are made out to be geniuses, but are usually too dumb to figure out the practical things.

Why was Tom Cruise the only person to figure out how to start a car? Plus, why not tell other people walking the street how to fix this problem? Or even better, why weren't American soldiers sharing this information with everyone.....since they're tanks and hellicoters were operating perfectly.

Don't even get me started on how the soldiers (with Tom Cruise's help of course) were able to penetrate the tripod's forcefield at the end. I still have no idea how.

All in all, even though the movie had many plot holes, I still liked the human story part of it. At least I was entertained for 2 hours.........even though the movie stole parts from Titanic and Signs.

Let me continue:

Don't even get me started on how the soldiers (with Tom Cruise's help of course) were able to penetrate the tripod's forcefield at the end. I still have no idea how.

Tom Cruise wasn't able to penetrate the forcefield...it's just that he was the only one to notice that the forcefield was down. Even though the alien was already dying and no threat, they decided to blow the alien up anyway.

I went into the movie with a bad attitude, so it's no surprise that I hated it. It just didn't make any sense. One of my biggest pet peeves...why plant all the red vines? If it was to eat, then show an alien eating them. I assume the humans were used for fertilizer, but that should have been explained better as well. Basically, the whole movie was full of assumptions.