• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars 1977 comics.

13 posts in this topic

Hi to all!!!!

My name is neil and I'm from England and i have the first 17 editions of STAR WARS comics .

Nos 1,3 and 4 are 30cent variant but sadly No2 is english 12p. 

My question is are 1,3 and 4 worth grading as I'm looking at selling all 17 in one go. They are in very good condition but does anyone have an idea what i should sell them for?

any advice would be very much appreciated .

Regards NEIL.

Since no one is helping you out, I will try

30 cent version of #1 in 9.2 (NM) is 215 bucks

42 first Bobba Fet in 9.2 is 110 bucks

All of the big money is in issues 1-4 35 cent variants sold only in 2 US cities, number 1 is 11000, 2-4 1600

These are Overstreet prices and do not reflect current market value or grades above 9.2.

So, to answer your question, since you only have 1-17, only number 1 would be worth submitting IMHO and only if it is in NM condition.

Here is my copy that I bought off the newsstand and actually survived 35 years without getting lost or thrown out!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71c.jpg.d6311686ccdf08b6c154e98c571f8c27.jpg

Good luck!

you can also check ebay and try to see which sold #1s look like yours. They seem to go for about $40 minimum, which is a little higher than I expected. 1-6 are a good set to have and if you are selling 1-17 you should do okay.

Edited by Bird

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

you can also check ebay and try to see which sold #1s look like yours. They seem to go for about $40 minimum, which is a little higher than I expected. 1-6 are a good set to have and if you are selling 1-17 you should do okay.

7- 20 are listed at 20 bucks each in 9.2, even if they were 40 bucks each they wouldn't cover the cost of slabbing.  OP can make some money on the books sure, but not if he slabs them.  Just remember that these prices are for very nice copies that LOOK unread and uncirculated.  It will also take about 4 months to slab (in USA at least), any faster and your profit will be sucked up.  Since OP is looking to sell, I don't think these prices merit slabbing.  Maybe some nice shiny new mylar, but not slabbing.

21 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

7- 20 are listed at 20 bucks each in 9.2, even if they were 40 bucks each they wouldn't cover the cost of slabbing.  OP can make some money on the books sure, but not if he slabs them.  Just remember that these prices are for very nice copies that LOOK unread and uncirculated.  It will also take about 4 months to slab (in USA at least), any faster and your profit will be sucked up.  Since OP is looking to sell, I don't think these prices merit slabbing.  Maybe some nice shiny new mylar, but not slabbing.

I didn;t say to slab or actually address slabbing at all (shrug)

There is a service called GPA analysis that has sales history for graded CGC comics.  It is a pay service.  You can use that to look up prices for the grades that you think your comics will get.  Then you can go to the CGC website to see the costs of submission, and make sure include shipping and insurance.  You can do your own math and calculations based on your preferences after that and compare against the prices achieved without the grading. 

It should also be noted that your location might be a factor in your achievable prices.  Also Brexit, and its effects on your currency and shipping rates to Europe.

These are things I would consider. Good luck

18 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Since no one is helping you out, I will try

30 cent version of #1 in 9.2 (NM) is 215 bucks

42 first Bobba Fet in 9.2 is 110 bucks

All of the big money is in issues 1-4 35 cent variants sold only in 2 US cities, number 1 is 11000, 2-4 1600

These are Overstreet prices and do not reflect current market value or grades above 9.2.

So, to answer your question, since you only have 1-17, only number 1 would be worth submitting IMHO and only if it is in NM condition.

Here is my copy that I bought off the newsstand and actually survived 35 years without getting lost or thrown out!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71c.jpg.d6311686ccdf08b6c154e98c571f8c27.jpg

Good luck!

So cool to see a 42-year-old OO copy from the newsstand get a 9.6.  Can you give us details on the purchase?  E.g., do you vividly remember buying it?  (or maybe not?)  Was it at a 7-Eleven?  Did you know specifically to bag + board it?  Bags were in their nascency around this time and i don't think boards existed yet.  I love reading these OO 'pick up' stories.

16 minutes ago, zosocane said:

So cool to see a 42-year-old OO copy from the newsstand get a 9.6.  Can you give us details on the purchase?  E.g., do you vividly remember buying it?  (or maybe not?)  Was it at a 7-Eleven?  Did you know specifically to bag + board it?  Bags were in their nascency around this time and i don't think boards existed yet.  I love reading these OO 'pick up' stories.

Sorry lol, I can't remember all the details but at this time there were only 3 places I was getting new mags. 7-11, my friend's dad's liquor store (lol), and rarely comic book shop visits.  At this time I would have had less than 100 books but Star Wars was HOT, also Howard the Duck 1 (got at convention used) and Fear 19 (1st Howard appearance, convention, used).  Fear 19 the guy was asking like 32 bucks for but I got away with paying 17 bucks saying its all I had and paid him with a 20 (punk kid!).  At that same convention I got Howard signed by John Byrne.  I ended up selling all my books when I joined the Navy but gave a few to my brother because he wasn't ready to quit collecting yet. He ended up dumping most of his books too but kept only 1 short box all these years until he passed away, mostly filled with his beloved Fantastic Four collection.  I am still not really collecting, just slabbing some of the more valuable books and learning about how dramatically the hobby has changed over the years.  Here is Howard and Panther...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_76f.jpg.f43b1bf09121951fd8bcb21916b8d250.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_762.jpg.bf7e1c8c3a699770d9e50173fb34377f.jpg

13 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

hmm... all in the mid west right?

What cities were they and how many copies were made?

Perhaps 1500 copies total, about a third of which have survived. Tuscaloosa (AL),Memphis (TN), San Antonio (TX), Wilmington (NC) and Toledo (OH) are the cities known or confirmed.

Edited by celluloidbuff