• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

Oops.

I'm wrong - forgot to account for tomorrow's being a holiday. 

Definitely will make more than $1 million tomorrow, and possibly next weekend as well.

Because you're right - next weekend looks weak. Biggest new release seems to be (checks notes) Founder's Day??

On 1/15/2024 at 10:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

image.png.5a9b9e49f643281ccd8d804577f5baa2.png

Interesting.  Only a 12% weekly drop when given a chance.

It's fascinating how in the US, government & media suppresses non-wokeness.  While in China, a far worse country...they don't notice that A2 isn't waken, and they focus on higher-profile things to battle us.

Kind of amazing that Wonka's only been out a week longer than Aquaman but is running 63% ahead of it domestically.

And yesterday Wonka pulled in nearly 50% more than Aquaman did.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:20 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Kind of amazing that Wonka's only been out a week longer than Aquaman but is running 63% ahead of it domestically.

And yesterday Wonka pulled in nearly 50% more than Aquaman did.

At $512M, Wonka is considered a huge success.  90% RT score its first couple weeks to help push it along...as I predicted.  I predicted that every superhero movie preceding Aquaman 2 would be at 80-90%...and every movie going up against A2 would be at 80-90% (like Color Purple, 86%)...and of course I was right.

A2 is considered a huge flop at $379M currently.  Even though it had no advertising budget.

Edited by ChillMan

Where are you getting that Aquaman 2 "had no advertising budget?"

Variety reported that, while Warner Bros. decided to scale back on advertising, "it likely still cost $100 million."

$100 million in advertising for a film costing $205-$215 million to produce seems on par.

Yes, but when you make a claim as absurd as a $200 million tentpole having "no advertising budget," the burden of proof is on you to back it up.

Here's another source, citing (or ummm...assuming) pre-release TV advertising alone:

"Warner Bros. had a higher-than-average national TV ad budget heading into the opening -- $19.9 million from 1,250 airings resulting in 1.1 billion impressions, according to estimates from EDO Ad EnGage.

The studio estimated TV spend was much higher the first time in 2018 [for the first Aquaman] -- a massive $29.6 million pre-opening (2,380 airings and 1.7 billion impressions). For the entire campaign that year, national TV totaled $35.5 million (3,840 airings and 2.47 billion)."

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/392171/aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-treads-water-with.html 

"according to estimates from EDO Ad EnGage"

A rough calculation. Once Gunn had removed the planned follow-on film elements of Crisis On Infinite Earths and made it clear it was not part of his go-forward DCU, traditional film promotion did not apply. Gunn-Safran would focus on their go-forward planned films with Creature Commandos and Superman: Legacy.

There was nothing like the 2018 film where WB released a 5-minute trailer and mass advertising to make it clear something different was coming.

“I just realized that it was some kind of corporate decision that they try to limit Amber Heard and then I’m playing her dad and went along with it,” Lundgren explained.

"I was just disappointed for the moviegoers, because I thought the original script was great and the original cut — I saw a little bit of it, it was really good. So I didn’t see any reason to start reshooting and reshaping the story, which obviously led to disappointment in the moviegoers and not just me.”

And the Batman elements forced from the film.

Edited by Bosco685

On 1/20/2024 at 6:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

"according to estimates from EDO Ad EnGage"

A rough calculation. Once Gunn had removed the planned follow-on film elements of Crisis On Infinite Earths and made it clear it was not part of his go-forward DCU, traditional film promotion did not apply. Gunn-Safran would focus on their go-forward planned films with Creature Commandos and Superman: Legacy.

There was nothing like the 2018 film where WB released a 5-minute trailer and mass advertising to make it clear something different was coming.

Yes - estimates, but still an apples-to-apples comparison.

Having a pre-release TV budget 1/3 less than the original is still a significant expense - and ~$30 million in pre-release TV advertising alone tracks with an overall worldwide marketing budget of $100M+.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:51 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Yes - estimates, but still an apples-to-apples comparison.

Having a pre-release TV budget 1/3 less than the original is still a significant expense - and ~$30 million in pre-release TV advertising alone tracks with an overall worldwide marketing budget of $100M+.

I hear what you want to push as facts.

Reality is traditional P&A does not factor in with this film.

What is even being argued about here? 

This movie is not underperforming because of lack of advertising.  I'd wager everyone who might possibly have been interested in an Aquaman follow-up was/is well aware.  

It's just that a lot less people are interested this time around (for reasons...)

Also, man, it wasn't great.  It wasn't terrible mind you, but, not great.  And it needed to be great to overcome lack of interest.