• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mega -key imposters ?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

A downturn in Kirby-mania.

See the above mentioned Manhunter and throw in Red Raven to boot. I love em all, but as KirbyJack posted above, I am not one of those big fish throwing around the big bucks - ergo, my opinions aren't all that influential.  :shy:

Yes...Red Raven...I'd forgotten about that one.  Thanks for the reminder.

Don't the two Adventure Manhunter covers still go for reasonable coin?

Edited by pemart1966

21 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Yes...Red Raven...I'd forgotten about that one.  Thanks for the reminder.

Don't the two Adventure Manhunter covers still go for reasonable coin?

I think they would (do), but I don't think of them as mega-keys. Kirby stuff hasn't flat-lined, certainly, but it's way down from where it once resided. I can recall people at cons bypassing boxes with PCH in search of some good Kirby romance. :makepoint:

On 1/27/2019 at 3:19 PM, Junkdrawer said:

Key ingredient for a mega key should be a book that introduces something such as a companies first book like Marvel Comics #1 or a first appearance of a major player in the comic world. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and down the line from there

Very interesting thread discussion. Put 10 boardies in a room, get 10 different definitions...

How to define mega key? I guess everyone thinks of this as more than simply a "classic" cover or storyline.

In the context of fiction novels, Gulliver's Travels, Wuthering Heights, Huckleberry Finn, etc., are "mega keys", as these have stood the test of time. Which I guess means people still read these books and still pay to read these books (or put in an effort to go to the library to read these books).

With only 85-ish years of the comic book, we don't have much of a time span to assess whether these have stood (and will stand) the test of time.

I like Junkdrawer's definition of "mega key" as a book introducing a landmark first appearance. But this still leaves open all sorts of exceptions and loopholes, e.g.,

• Hulk #180(181) is a Bronze Age book that becomes a mega key because it's the first Wolverine appearance. 
  • Hulk #180(181) doubly becomes a mega key because crazy people keep driving up the price. 
  • Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 is the first Sub-Mariner appearance, and sounds like it should be a mega key, but the market says no one's paying the big bucks, so it is not a mega key?
  • Detective Comics #31 is perhaps one of the greatest covers ever, but without any key storyline or first appearance, it doesn't qualify as a mega key. (Or is it, given its current value in the marketplace?)
  • Planet Comics #1 was the first comic book title with a dedicated science fiction theme. Sounds landmark to me, but this book is not considered to be a mega key. If the price started climbing into 6 figures, then does it become a mega key?
  • Amazing Spider-Man #121 is about as key a story as there's ever been published (death of Gwen Stacy), but it isn't a mega key.
  • If in another 100 years, lots of people still read X-Men #137 (death of Dark Phoenix), would it qualify as a mega key?
  • Um, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1...

Anyhow, I'm just rambling... :S

On January 27, 2019 at 9:36 PM, PopKulture said:

I think they would (do), but I don't think of them as mega-keys. Kirby stuff hasn't flat-lined, certainly, but it's way down from where it once resided. I can recall people at cons bypassing boxes with PCH in search of some good Kirby romance. :makepoint:

And while they were doing that, I was quietly following behind scooping up as much PCH as I could! :banana: