• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who remembers Howard Rogofsky?

69 posts in this topic

I sent in for his catalog in 1972 and I thought his prices were pretty outrageous like $400 for a Marvel Comics #1 and when it came to condition you just had to be content with whatever condition of the book that he sent you! I never bought any books from him since I found some dealers in the Los Angeles area to buy from.

My first Rogofsky purchases were F.F. # 8 and 11.They were each in VF condition and cost $6.50 each.This was probably in 1972.I also taped their spines

to help preserve them.After all,tape wasn't considered a defect.For those of you who missed it,Comic Book Marketplace magazine # 18 (Oct. 1992) contains an excellent Howard Rogofsky interview.If memory serves,he was only 16 years old when he began advertising in the T.V. Guide in 1965.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Remember him? I just got one of his sales lists!

I did too, just about a week ago. He says he has over 500K comics and magazine back issues. Considering when he was wheeling and dealing, he may have one of the most impressive back issue stocks around. He has been out of the picture for a while and not on the internet at all. His business address, in case anyone wants to inquire about something, is

Howard Rogofsky

P.O. Box 107

Glen Oaks, N.Y. 11004

I still have a couple of wrappers from books I bought off him in the late 60's. The books were sandwiched between two thick pieces of grey cardboard and then wrapped in thick brown wrappring paper. They always arrived safely and I never got a bad book off of him.

Back in the 70's I did some purchases from Howard, he was one of the rare dealer sending catalogues overseas.

Unfortunately I wasn't into "tape" at all. One day I received comics with tape + extra staples893whatthe.gif, that was to much for me and stopped buying books from him, my money went to the other dealers, Hugh O'Kennon was one of them, he still active on ebay.

Cherokee book store and collectors book store were two of the best. I picked up an Action #3 at Cherokee for 25.00 when I was a kid.

Whenever I read about those two stores, I want to invent a time machine and go back to 1964 and shop there. Both places sound incredible. I remember Gary Carter's reminiscences about them in CBM, and talk of goodies like a Mint Batman #11 for the price of three measly dollars... cloud9.gif

I remember Howard quite well having bought my first books from him in 1965 at the tender age of 13 and as a matter of fact, he is still active dealing old comic books.

Little known fact is he comes to San Diego Comicon every year armed with want lists.

He always stops by, we chew the fat, talk about old times, he buys some stuff and moves on to the next booth. He must be pushing 60 by now, no longer living in Flushing, and is on my catalog mailing list. Anybody want to get in touch with him?

robert beerbohm

http://www.blbcomics.com

I was one of the lucky one's 15 years ago to actually go to Ed's house and buy comics from him in person. I guess I didn't make a real great impression because I've never been able to do that again. lol

(Actually, he's just a very private person and prefers to do business thru the mail.)