• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plastic insert in slab?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I'm new to slabbing books, so I'm sure this is a laughably n00bish question.

20190129_124824.thumb.jpg.61354caa7569f870ae04feceb597d669.jpg

This was a hard picture to get w/o glare, but if you look at the bottom center, you can see what I believe to be some sort of space insert.  That or that is an impressively symmetrical interior crack.  Would someone please tell me what this is?  I just don't know for certain what I'm looking at and of the other books I got back, none have this.  I plan on giving this book to a friend and just to be able to act like I know what I'm talking about wrt whatever this is.

Thank you for your time!

18 hours ago, Richard Holbrook said:

I'm new to slabbing books, so I'm sure this is a laughably n00bish question.

20190129_124824.thumb.jpg.61354caa7569f870ae04feceb597d669.jpg

This was a hard picture to get w/o glare, but if you look at the bottom center, you can see what I believe to be some sort of space insert.  That or that is an impressively symmetrical interior crack.  Would someone please tell me what this is?  I just don't know for certain what I'm looking at and of the other books I got back, none have this.  I plan on giving this book to a friend and just to be able to act like I know what I'm talking about wrt whatever this is.

Thank you for your time!

It's an insert to help prevent the comic from moving fore-aft (direction of cover-to-cover).

On 1/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

And if I may add, the wedge is a good thing to have. As mentioned, it helps prevent movement.  I wish CGC used it on all books.

Im not 100% sure thats the case all the time. Maybe they use a wedge if they are not using the proper inner well size and maybe when the wedge is on the spine side it could pinch the cover in place and expose the inside pages to shifting and detaching from cover during shipping.

22 minutes ago, dfx1 said:

Im not 100% sure thats the case all the time. Maybe they use a wedge if they are not using the proper inner well size and maybe when the wedge is on the spine side it could pinch the cover in place and expose the inside pages to shifting and detaching from cover during shipping.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:19 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

And if I may add, the wedge is a good thing to have. As mentioned, it helps prevent movement.  I wish CGC used it on all books.

Well said Bob , it would help eliminate SCS in alot of books in my opinion. I have asked CGC to add it to many books without success 

44 minutes ago, dfx1 said:

Yes, there are different reasons why CGC will choose to add the wedge but I stand by my statement, it is a good thing. I much prefer to have my comics have a wedge. It definitely protects the comic from movement and SCS. In the event the comic sustains damage with the wedge in place it usually means the slab was subjected to extreme trauma. In that case, you are correct, the wedge may hold the cover in place while the insides shift. But it is NOT the fault of the wedge. 

27 minutes ago, UncleBEN said:

Well said Bob , it would help eliminate SCS in alot of books in my opinion. I have asked CGC to add it to many books without success 

Thanks. I have also asked for the wedge in all my submissions but I guess it is at the discretion of the person doing the encapsulation. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, there are different reasons why CGC will choose to add the wedge but I stand by my statement, it is a good thing. I much prefer to have my comics have a wedge. It definitely protects the comic from movement and SCS. In the event the comic sustains damage with the wedge in place it usually means the slab was subjected to extreme trauma. In that case, you are correct, the wedge may hold the cover in place while the insides shift. But it is NOT the fault of the wedge. 

Requesting a wedge may bump your inner well width to the next size up if there is a minimum extra space requirement between comic and edge of inner well to fit the wedge or in other words can a wedge still be used if the comic is a real good fit in the well? I guess Im debating if having a wedge with extra space on the other side is better than having a tight fit with no wedge. How about a wedge on all sides?