• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons for DC layoffs
2 2

152 posts in this topic

Just texted this to my friend... yes at midnight since I know he is up. 

This is what he pointed out.

That is NOT a latch on the door.  Look closely at the whole image and blow it up.  That is supposed to be a towel rack or something to hang stuff off of in the shower. That is how he sees it.  If that is the case who puts that over the door between apartments and the wall?

His words, "This guy's license should be revoked." 

When people have to scratch their head and and try to figger out what stuff is, yeah that equals lame artist.

Edited by kav

Anyone notice the mirror shrank by like 75% from first panel to second?  Also not a fan of people in comics talking with their mouth closed.  You cant do that.

Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 9.24.12 PM.png

2 minutes ago, kav said:

When people have to scratch their head and and try to figger out what stuff is, yeah that equals lame artist.

Depends on the context.  There are some artists that include so much stuff in an image you are captivated and investigate it further to see what is going on like Schomburg. His art was clear but it is so jam packed you miss a lot at first glance and have to look deeper to see what is really going on.   That is one of the VERY few exceptions to what you said. 

I agree though, if you have to figure it out and we are not talking about artistry with symbolism anything like that... then you did not construct it very well.  I should be able to figure out what everyday objects actually are.  If it is a car, it should be easily discernible as a car. 

I believe the 'artist' in question is one Rafael Albuquerque.  Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

Man thats quite a cauliflower ear she's got goin on-ex boxer?

Note to 'artist': you realize you can just look at a picture of an ear to see what they look like, right?   Ps that 'ear' is ridin way too high on the head bruh.

Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 9.36.35 PM.png

um I just noticed-right eyebrow goes right into eye??  wth?  Not a fan of the left eyebrow either.

I still think Liefeld is a worse artist than this guy, but-I had to think about it.

Edited by kav

Ok it's not Albaquerque it seems to be if I'm not mistaken Christian Wildgoose who is responsible for this mess.  I'm still not 100% on this tho.  

Backgrounds are apparently not his for-tay.  Or foregrounds.  Or figures.  Or-

C-VjInVWAAE3IjB.jpg

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, kav said:

She's all damn three dammit!!!  You go girl!!!!  Hear you roar!!

Cant decide what's worse the writing or the art.

I can't decide either. Remember when it took twenty minutes to read and enjoy a comic? Twenty years ago or so, I noticed books becoming more like... well, the above example: all flash and no substance. And in the aforementioned case, no flash either. 

Sure, Liefeld was part of it, along with all the imitators. It seemed there was little action, and splash after splash of muscles-on-top-of-muscles, distorted strongmen and busty sexpots with 14 inch waists. It seemed an exercise in quasi-pubescent artistic m@sturb@tion rather than storytelling.  :sorry:

Edited by PopKulture

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Hmmm. Backgrounds. Dynamism. An understanding of actual facial expressions. What's up with that?? 

Man, I can recall reading and re-reading Smith's Red Nails adaptation and just marveling at the POVs and all the attendant detail. Just like in the above illustration, there were all sorts of tiled floors and mosaic-laden walls - add to that the menagerie of blood-spattered characters and you've got the foundations of some very memorable pages .

By the time Smith was doing the Studio stuff I'm convinced he had a seance and channeled the better part of Alphonse Mucha's artistic soul. 

Now its all these lame cartoony cookie cutter artists that are hard to tell apart from one another.  Back then you could tell artists apart from one another!!!!!!  There are about amillion artists currently that draw like this:

C-VjInVWAAE3IjB.jpg

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, PopKulture said:

Hey... where'd the little Curt Swan example go?? :baiting:

I swapped it for a fatal five!

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Now its all these lame cartoony cookie cutter artists that are hard to tell apart from one another.  Back then you could tell artists apart from one another!!!!!!  

Isn't that the truth? Think about the embarrassment of riches once enjoyed by fans - Kirby, Ditko, Romita, Adams, Colan, Steranko, Smith, Wrightson, and so on. And before them Frazetta, Wood, Feldstein, Toth, Davis, et al. Going back further you have Boring, Finger, Fine, Schomburg, Eisner, Cole, Baker... Nearly every boardie I'd wager with more than 100 posts would score near perfect on an exam of their representative work. (thumbsu

Edited by PopKulture

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Isn't that the truth? Think about the embarrassment of riches once enjoyed by fans - Kirby, Ditko, Romita, Adams, Colan, Steranko, Smith, Wrightson, and so on. And before them Frazetta, Wood, Feldstein, Toth, Davis, et al. Going back further you have Boring, Finger, Fine, Schomburg, Eisner, Cole, Baker... Nearly every boardie I'd wager with more than 100 posts would score near perfect on an exam of their representative work. (thumbsu

I would take that wager.