• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need expert to value my collection for insurance .please help

4 posts in this topic

Hello, 

so im getting “floater insurance” for my collection through my home owners insurance company (it was the best deal I found) and they told me my excel sheet listing values that I calculated from sold listings on eBay  wasn’t good enough (eBay closed listings are not reliable information they said) and they told me to get an “comic book expert” to give an evaluation on letterhead.

Does anyone know how I can get the collection appraised and by whom? Does anyone do it for free? Is MyComicshop a good free option that will do it on letterhead? Thank you. 

Edited by jason4

Insurance through your homeowners is less expensive than...

https://collectinsure.com/?gclid=CJu3heLP8cUCFYuPHwod4kgAww

It would cost you a small fortune to have a so called "expert" grade and appraise each book you have.

You do not need to do that with CIS, you only need to send them a list of what you have and you decide how much to insure for.

I sent them an original list in 2009 and then an updated list of items added to the collection at the end of each year.

I took general pics of the collection and individual pics of "key" books back in 2009 for my records but in 2015 I regraded all of my books (3600) and took individual pics of each book and all that info is stored on my computer and two flashdrives.

I am pretty sure if you needed to file a claim (which I have never had to do) it would be much easier through CIS than through your homeowners.

6 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Insurance through your homeowners is less expensive than...

https://collectinsure.com/?gclid=CJu3heLP8cUCFYuPHwod4kgAww

It would cost you a small fortune to have a so called "expert" grade and appraise each book you have.

You do not need to do that with CIS, you only need to send them a list of what you have and you decide how much to insure for.

I sent them an original list in 2009 and then an updated list of items added to the collection at the end of each year.

I took general pics of the collection and individual pics of "key" books back in 2009 for my records but in 2015 I regraded all of my books (3600) and took individual pics of each book and all that info is stored on my computer and two flashdrives.

I am pretty sure if you needed to file a claim (which I have never had to do) it would be much easier through CIS than through your homeowners.

Ok thanks for the advice. I’m going to get a quote from them instead. Sounds like it will be a lot easier. I only own 68 comics so probably won’t be difficult.