• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do sellers from Eugene, Oregon have such a difficult time keeping their CGC graded books in the slabs?

84 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Surfer-4-VF-8-5-cgc-Low-print-run-Vs-THOR/392221952399?hash=item5b5240098f:g:VqIAAOSwPXFcSPuW

More allegedly CGC graded books (books sold with the CGC label, but no plastic and/or no well … in other words, raw) seem to be sold by Eugene, Oregon sellers than all other cities in the US combined!

The mystery vortex, where balls roll uphill must be wreaking havoc on CGC slabs in that area. :roflmao:.

SS4.jpg

If I had it, I'd wager a million dollars that the book shown here was not the one associated with the CGC label! It's probably a 6.0 to 6.5 at best.

*** CGC please take note:

Still another in a long line of Eugene, Oregon ebay ID's using CGC labels to misrepresent books.

Curious that all of this seller's PGX graded material have no similar difficulties in retaining their slabs and wells!

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

It’s a great scam if you’re a scumbag.  Crack out a solid higher grade, attach the label to some bogus undercopy, and have the original book regraded at your leisure.  

Just like suckers falling for blatantly forged Stan Lee books, a fool and his money...

If the grader notes for this label show that this can't possibly be the book encapsulated with that label, and I'm sure that is the case, just take one look at that book, isn't this criminally related to intellectual property theft (to commit mail fraud), trademark infringement, and a whole plethora of other corporate crimes if this Eugene, Oregon seller can be linked to or associated with a rival grading service?

There must be some type of fraud being perpetrated here, a crime against CGC, by misusing and deliberately misrepresenting their label to commit fraud, as well as the obvious, actual mail fraud misrepresentation perpetrated on the buyer. No?

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If the grader notes for this label show that this can't possibly be the book encapsulated with that label, and I'm sure that is the case, just take one look at that book, isn't this criminally related to intellectual property theft (to commit mail fraud), trademark infringement, and a whole plethora of other corporate crimes if this Eugene, Oregon seller can be linked to or associated with a rival grading service?

There must be some type of fraud being perpetrated here, a crime against CGC, by misusing and deliberately misrepresenting their label to commit fraud, as well as the obvious, actual mail fraud misrepresentation perpetrated on the buyer. No?

Too many other problems around and in life to deal with besides comic books, sad but true.  If you want to try and prosecute this case you are wasting YOUR time and money to try and squeeze a nickel out of someone desperate enough to do this and is probably just looking to score his next fix.  I think the answer is simple.  If you like the book and want it, disregard the label and offer a price based on the book you see.  Since it is out of the case the label no longer has any meaning and should be ignored.

39 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Too many other problems around and in life to deal with besides comic books, sad but true.  If you want to try and prosecute this case you are wasting YOUR time and money to try and squeeze a nickel out of someone desperate enough to do this and is probably just looking to score his next fix.  I think the answer is simple.  If you like the book and want it, disregard the label and offer a price based on the book you see.  Since it is out of the case the label no longer has any meaning and should be ignored.

I'm not a prosecutor. I can't prosecute anyone. To me, this seems to be more than an instance of some random seller fraudulently using a CGC label to get over on some random buyer. There's a pattern. The fact that multiple sellers from Eugene, Oregon, where PGX's corporate garage is headquartered, sell alleged "CGC" material with CGC labels only and not the slab and/or well, while all of their PGX graded  listings have their slabs perfectly intact seems to me to be more than coincidental, and worthy of mentioning. Don't you agree? .

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm not a prosecutor. I can't prosecute anyone. To me, this seems to be more than an instance of some random seller fraudulently using a CGC label to get over on some random buyer. There's a pattern. The fact that multiple sellers from Eugene, Oregon, where PGX's corporate garage is headquartered, sell alleged "CGC" material with CGC labels only and not the slab and/or well, while all of their PGX graded  listings have their slabs perfectly intact seems to me to be more than coincidental, and worthy of mentioning. Don't you agree? .

I don’t get the connection with PGX. What would their motive be? It isn’t damaging CGC’s reputation...someone can crack a slab and use the comic as toilet paper afterwards, and then say it used to be CGC X.X...doesn’t mean it still is...

I’m in no way defending this person, or people, btw...just don’t fully understand what you’re implying...

13 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I don’t get the connection with PGX. What would their motive be? It isn’t damaging CGC’s reputation...someone can crack a slab and use the comic as toilet paper afterwards, and then say it used to be CGC X.X...doesn’t mean it still is...

I’m in no way defending this person, or people, btw...just don’t fully understand what you’re implying...

Being able to remove from a slab what was a legitimate, sealed CGC 8.5 and then PGX encapsulate the former CGC 8.5 book as a PGX 9.2 or 9.4, sell that, then use the left-over CGC 8.5 label to misrepresent a mid grade book from inventory, maybe formerly from a 6.0 PGX slab, now cracked open, would give a seller a tremendous amount of profit incentive. Wouldn't it? We've seen this same scenario, the same type of M.O from other Eugene, Oregon Ebay IDs. CGC labels only or books encapsulated with CGC labels, no slabs, or damaged slabs, yet they have 5 to 10 times as many PGX slabs offered and nary a one looks to be at all compromised in any way.

Does that SS 4 really look like a CGC 8.5 to you? With it's busted spine, sizable top right area flaked crease, edge wear, and massive wrinkling/demarcations on the cover? I'll bet the grader's notes for that label don't remotely match the appearance of the book shown under that label.

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Being able to remove from a slab what was a legitimate, sealed CGC 8.5 and then PGX encapsulate the former CGC 8.5 book as a PGX 9.2 or 9.4, sell that, then use the left-over CGC 8.5 label to misrepresent a mid grade book from inventory, maybe formerly from a 6.0 PGX slab, now cracked open, would give a seller a tremendous amount of profit incentive. Wouldn't it? We've seen this same scenario, the same type of M.O from other Eugene, Oregon Ebay IDs. CGC labels only or books encapsulated with CGC labels, no slabs, or damaged slabs, yet they have 5 to 10 times as many PGX slabs offered and nary a one looks to be at all compromised in any way.

Does that SS 4 really look like a CGC 8.5 to you? With it's busted spine, sizable top right area flaked crease, edge wear, and massive wrinkling/demarcations on the cover? I'll bet the grader's notes for that label don't remotely match the appearance of the book shown under that label.

Thanks for the clarification. And no, I would not buy that as an 8.5...

31 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Thanks for the clarification. And no, I would not buy that as an 8.5...

To put it in monetary perspective:

Purchase CGC 8.5 SS 4: Approx. cost range, dependent upon eye appeal = $800 to $1000.

Bust it out, re-slab it PGX 9.4. There's very little difference between CGC 8.5s and PGX 9.2s and 9.4s more often than what one would dare to consider.: Approx. sale price = $2500 ($1500 to $1700 profit)

Take a 6.0 quality SS 4 (cost = approx.: $300), Use the CGC label to market it as a cracked out 8.5 = $800

So, doing it this way: cost = approx. $1200 for both books, the CGC 8.5 + the mid-grade SS 4

Approx sales price of both books = $2500 + $800 = $3300 (approx. sales price) - $1200 (cost) = approx. $1900 pure profit for one breaking and re-slabbing of the same two books, but now graded much differently.

If it is not in the CGC slab it is no longer CGC and label should be ignored.  If you are going to buy an expensive book and want some degree of assurance buy a CGC slabbed book and then crack it out if you don't like slabs.  I have made some bad purchases lately by being too trusting.  No more.  Caveat Emptor.

9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Perhaps. Best you can do is steer clear and spread the word...with this thread being a big first step. (thumbsu

See something, say something. Mind you, I wouldn't appear to be so quick to rush to judgement if this were a seller from another area. But of all cities for this seller to be based in? Eugene? An obvious misrepresentation using a floated CGC label to pull it off? Circumstantial? (tsk)

On 2/2/2019 at 6:00 PM, James J Johnson said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Surfer-4-VF-8-5-cgc-Low-print-run-Vs-THOR/392221952399?hash=item5b5240098f:g:VqIAAOSwPXFcSPuW

More allegedly CGC graded books (books sold with the CGC label, but no plastic and/or no well … in other words, raw) seem to be sold by Eugene, Oregon sellers than all other cities in the US combined!

The mystery vortex, where balls roll uphill must be wreaking havoc on CGC slabs in that area. :roflmao:.

SS4.jpg

If I had it, I'd wager a million dollars that the book shown here was not the one associated with the CGC label! It's probably a 6.0 to 6.5 at best.

*** CGC please take note:

Still another in a long line of Eugene, Oregon ebay ID's using CGC labels to misrepresent books.

Curious that all of this seller's PGX graded material have no similar difficulties in retaining their slabs and wells!

Maybe @Brittany M. should be made aware of it and serial # can be tracked back like the last dude.  Isn't this misuse of CGC labels?

Edited by kav

24 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Hey, that guy is selling a raw “9.8” of ASM 361.  Someone alert @BITCOINSWAMI fast!

@mattn792 i ALERADY FOUND MY GEM MINT ASM 361 no need to troll alright? I have a better collection than you will ever dream off actually maybe not but I am happy with my current collection. I have been busy hustlin so unable to post on here my current hauls so far AND submitting my comics to CGC, just got my ASM 361 from CGC back and very pleased with the results!

IMG_9625.JPG.fc4d64f008baea042291728d639abadd.JPG