• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ORIGINAL CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941-1953)
1 1

94 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sagii said:

...My intro to the 'real' Captain Marvel was during the Shazam / Isis Hour during the 70's Saturday morning lineups. He was my favorite hero for a while, along with Wonder Woman who was also on TV (at prime time). Long sold off most of my collection on both when my collecting focus' changed, though i am committed to rebuilding a small representation of both again.

One of the one's i held onto. This was always a favorite , the last appearance of the Captain and Family under Fawcett until DC revived them in the 70's. 

Marvel Family #89.jpg

I'm sure that cover was no coincidence!

10 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Great atomic covers on these Fawcett books. Hey how did these "Paul" copies from California end up back in Jersey?

‘Cause New Jersey is the Home of Comics! It says so right next to my avatar...:bigsmile:

Back in 1973, the re-introduction of Captain Marvel in Shazam Comics #1 was a big deal in the NY metropolitan area. The kids who had read the good Captain's books were between 30-40 years old at that time with kids of their own. The NY Daily News and other papers published stories about his return and recently the Steranko History of Comics Volume 2 had a fantastic piece on the history of the creative team behind the Marvels. I was in seventh grade and since my Dad had been regaling me with his memories of these books I was very enthusiastic as I awaited the release of Shazam #1.

At my first NY Comic Con I spotted an issue of Special Edition #1 but at $100., I just ogled it and went to spend my few dollars on more affordable pursuits.

Finally, the book arrived and CC Beck's artwork looked so clean and fresh that I was completely enamored. I took to drawing comic strips in school projects featuring Captain Marvel illustrating various points for emphasis. Luckily I had tolerant teachers willing to allow some creativity to seep into otherwise boring homework. In one group project, I created the artwork and handed off the coloring job to a classmate who had the audacity to color Captain Marvel's shirt red and pants green! I was appalled!!

17 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm sure that cover was no coincidence!

Iv'e heard opinions of folks who fall into both camps: Coincidence and Intended.

But far more intriguing to believe it was a coincidence though (:

22 minutes ago, thejudge01 said:

02754E81-C71B-4C5C-BE1F-C53BC685D074.jpeg

The greatest comic inspired serial of all time.  Much harsher Cap than much of C.C. Beck's lighter depiction.  And no cartoon flying sequences like Supes.  They used paper machete models of Cap on strings.  All very well done.  And Tom Tyler looks great in the red suit. 

Edited by telerites

1 hour ago, thejudge01 said:

02754E81-C71B-4C5C-BE1F-C53BC685D074.jpeg

I've watched a number of the comic serials over the years and they just don't seem to grab me. I don't know if it is because the film reproduction isn't great or because we are spoiled by today's effects-laden comic extravaganzas.  As a kid I thought the Flash Gordon serial was fantastic when broadcast on Saturday afternoons but probably because I had never seen one before. Anyone else struggle with watching these today?

8 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've watched a number of the comic serials over the years and they just don't seem to grab me. I don't know if it is because the film reproduction isn't great or because we are spoiled by today's effects-laden comic extravaganzas.  As a kid I thought the Flash Gordon serial was fantastic when broadcast on Saturday afternoons but probably because I had never seen one before. Anyone else struggle with watching these today?

Buster Crabbe was by far my favorite serial star especially as lash and Buck.  I still watch occasionally.  I enjoy them still but being such a long watch over all the chapters it is hard to find he time.  If you notice my avatar, it is a Commando Cody movie poster (pre-runner of course for Dave Stevens Rocketeer) ad a young Leonard Nimoy first? film credit.  I dabble with vintage posters and actually bid recently on a Captain Marvel serial poster (forget the chapter) but lost out.  

Do you remember when Buster Crabbe guest starred on the Gil Gerard Buck Rogers TV series.  Great line where Crabbe says something like I've been flying since before you were born which Gerard being from a few centuries earlier says I doubt that.  Kind of fun.