• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's be "Realistic" Avons Rock!
4 4

175 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, RICK STARR said:

I picked up several Avon PBs over the years. Some simply beautiful cover art on these. As mentioned, some were copied to comic book format. But, imagine if some of these others were drawn as comic books. They would be considered classics and highly desirable.

1250857797_AVONPBSFREADER.thumb.jpg.50688b59e5775d2bc09b3ce736785128.jpg

1908236405_AVONPBFANT12.thumb.jpg.ad5e2a0ade4539a08d0601a33d854d07.jpg

Another category I can play in even if I don't have many of the comics:

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_01.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_03.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_04.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_05.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_06.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_07-inc.jpg

On 8/27/2021 at 10:28 PM, RICK STARR said:

The Avon fantasy Readers have some fantastic and provocative covers, to say the least. I am starting to collect them again after selling off most of my copies years ago.

I definitely need to finish my run, I'm too close to not!  They also have some excellent reading in them, including some of the earliest Conan reprints.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, OtherEric said:

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_15.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_16.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_17.jpg

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_18.jpg

Avon_SF_Reader_03.jpg

Nice run! These have such great covers and are a real affordable way to read stories by so many of the masters.

I used to see them all over the place for a few bucks apiece. Rarely see them at all anymore. I always thought they were undervalued and maybe I was right. 

On 8/28/2021 at 11:13 AM, Robot Man said:

I used to see them all over the place for a few bucks apiece. Rarely see them at all anymore. I always thought they were undervalued and maybe I was right. 

Used to see a ton of them on the bay as well but not as many these days, ask has gone up a lot and not many fine copies show up.

On 5/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, Robot Man said:

A couple very early Avons hit my mailbox today. A wonderful title with art by the illustration artist Harrison Cady. Such fun stuff. Down to one issue to complete the Cady run.

Happy to get these! 

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

...and I was the one you outbid on both of those, dang it!   Congrats - glad they went to a good home (besides mine)!