• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official All-Star Batman & Robin #1 Sucks Thread (SPOILERS)

114 posts in this topic

it's because they simply don't care anymore. When I rip on Fat Jack's it's because I think they could be soooo much more. A great Philly area comic store. Instead they employ surly employees (who aren't terribly knowledgable about comics) and a staff that exudes the attitude... we just don't care. As I've said before, if I was the ONLY one who had this impression it'd be one thing, but practically everyone I know says the same thing, and then random people from philly say it who have visited the store.

I wish they would actually be aggressive and buy collections (cause Atomic City on South Street sure got a huge silver collection in but can't grade or price it to move really and sadly, it's mostly low grade/tan paged books) because they're out there. Instead, they've been content going how they are, which is a mystery to me.

Why don't you form a cartel and take ownership. Go for it! thumbsup2.gif

We definitely need a good comic shop in this city. We used to have at least two or three in Philly and the suburbs, but things have really fallen on hard times lately.

I agree about the attitude of the sellers at Fat Jack's. The last time I was there , a little kid was holding a new Batman comic and asked two of the staff how much it cost. Both of them ignored him like he wasn't even there. It really pissed me off, and I'm in no real hurry to go back there, 50% off sale or not.

It's true that Atomic/Showcase has better people and better books, but as you mentioned, they are way overpriced. Thank goodness for the Internet; I'd be going nuts if there were no other venues to get comics than these lousy local places.

OK guys, but what does this have to do with All-Star Batman & Robin #1 sucking worse than a prison gang-rape? confused-smiley-013.gif

To paraphrase a line from Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle: Picture Katie Holmes' rack in "The Gift". All-Star Batman & Robin #1? The exact opposite. yeahok.gif

I'll tie it in. Fat Jack's is the comic book store equivalent of sucking as bad as a prison gang-rape.

OK guys, but what does this have to do with All-Star Batman & Robin #1 sucking worse than a prison gang-rape? confused-smiley-013.gif

To paraphrase a line from Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle: Picture Katie Holmes' rack in "The Gift". All-Star Batman & Robin #1? The exact opposite. yeahok.gif

Batman & Robin didn't suck that bad..I thought it was good,I've already posted my thoughts but really,It didn't suck at all,You might have just been expecting something differant or expectations were too high for the simple story.

You know what. It's not great, I'll attest to that. Jim Lee's art does make it tolerable for me. But the real reason why I'm going to continue to read this book is simply because its a brand new Batman series, where I can start out at issue #1. I am a "Issue No. 1 Whore." And most of the titles that I read are all titles which have started up in the last 2 years. I like them better that way, as opposed to my ASM run, which I've had to start at issue #500.

Well, as I see the debate is still raging I'll put in my two cents worth. Yes, this book looks to be an "Ultimate-ized" Batman and Robin. The art is great just like all of Jim Lee's stuff. I enjoyed his "Hush" run the most. Yeah, this book isn't for an 8-year old, which is fine because there are still other Batman related titles a kid can read. I'm 34 and grew up in the 70's-80's so the Silver Age stuff doesn't really hold that nostalgia for me that it does for others here. I have collected more Silver Age books in the last few months than I ever had before and I think some of the old timers need to reread their books. Because, to be honest, a lot of the stories and art sucked compared to today's standards. Now don't get me wrong, the books were great for their era and the technology they had, but its nothing compared to the latest stuff. But that's true with ever media. So yeah, you can look back fondly on your SA books and remember those by gone days but realize they were just as goofy then as they are now. And don't forget, parents were just as concerned about the violence in those books as you are about the violence in todays books. That's why we have had the Comic Code Authority for the last 50 years.

I thought issue 1 was pretty bad, but issue 2 was terrible. Twenty-six instances where someone curses in a Batman comic? Why not go ahead and make Batman a Vertigo title and let Miller have him and Robin curse with every breath? This sucks.

I agree...I've bought both issues off the newsstand and was surprised on how bad this series is....

Miller has lost his touch in my opinion. I can disregard his Dark Knight sequel as a creator having a bad day but this series has me starting to think he's lost his mojo completely...

Jim

I strongly urge people to pick up the ASB&R #1 Special Edition which includes Miller's full -script. It is unbelievably bad. Here are some highlights from the Vicki Vale sequence near the beginning:

"FULL FIGURE - VICKI VALE walks, in bra and panties and not one inch of clothing more, walks - no, hell, she struts - BACK-LIT against the cruel, Art Deco beauty of GOTHAM CITY. Think Rita Hayworth in her prime. She's gorgeous. She speaks to her headset, dictating:"

"CLOSER - MEDIUM ANGLE - VICKI continues. She c0cks her head, tossing her hair. Detail her BRA. It'll drive them crazy, Jim."

"BODY SHOT - THIGH UP - give us an even better angle on the babe. Front on. Walking right at us. She knows what's she's got. Make them drool."

"OK, Jim, I'm shameless. Let's go with an AS$ SHOT. Panties detailed. Balloons from above. She's walking, restless as always. We can't take our eyes off her. Especially since she's got one fine as$."

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif This is simply embarrassing.

I strongly urge people to pick up the ASB&R #1 Special Edition which includes Miller's full -script. It is unbelievably bad. Here are some highlights from the Vicki Vale sequence near the beginning:

"FULL FIGURE - VICKI VALE walks, in bra and panties and not one inch of clothing more, walks - no, hell, she struts - BACK-LIT against the cruel, Art Deco beauty of GOTHAM CITY. Think Rita Hayworth in her prime. She's gorgeous. She speaks to her headset, dictating:"

"CLOSER - MEDIUM ANGLE - VICKI continues. She c0cks her head, tossing her hair. Detail her BRA. It'll drive them crazy, Jim."

"BODY SHOT - THIGH UP - give us an even better angle on the babe. Front on. Walking right at us. She knows what's she's got. Make them drool."

"OK, Jim, I'm shameless. Let's go with an AS$ SHOT. Panties detailed. Balloons from above. She's walking, restless as always. We can't take our eyes off her. Especially since she's got one fine as$."

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif This is simply embarrassing.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Maybe Miller is just seeing what DC will let him get away with. Maybe it's a great big joke to him.

We can only hope that's the truth.

893censored-thumb.gif Why would they go out of their way to publish that original -script?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, yeah, Jim Lee is an executive at DC/Warners. "Hey, Paul? Ya gotta get Frank's -script out there-- let 'em know it's not all my fault!" 27_laughing.gif

Maybe Miller is just seeing what DC will let him get away with. Maybe it's a great big joke to him.

We can only hope that's the truth.

Or maybe it's a writer, disconnected with what's cool with the current readership, trying to gauge the environment....

That's the only rational I can come up with for with his Canary cover...

allstarbatman3var.jpg

Jim

i think we have a lot and too much hate for ASB in this thread, a lot of the people here are just seem like they are sheep. i mean come on, it's not as bad as everyone says it is at all. there are A LOT more worse books out there by DC and marvel, the only reason everyone says it's so bad is in comparison to there expectations from millar, and let me tell you they are HIGH!

Say, if the book was written by some unknown, then everyone would prob just say; oh, ok, not a bad book but could be better. not the crazy millar bashing we r are getting now.

im willing to bet half of the ppl who are bashing this book haven’t even read past 1st issue... i for one im not dropping this book anytime soon, because i really enjoy it, not only because Lee's art is simply fantastic. but also because i see a lot of potential for this book, from millar... yes millar, remember? that guy everyone hates?

One last thing, so what they swear? WOW! guess what? all the words are censored out, so if u have the imagination to see them as swearing words then you already know them, so don’t give me none of that kids learn swear from comic rubbish...