• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprint/smudges made on ASM 129 during production?

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys...I just bought a pretty nice copy of ASM 129 off eBay. It appears to be in overall 7.0 to 7.5 shape with beautiful color and gloss, but it has a weird kind of production (I assume) defect that I haven't seen before: There are a couple of very, very slight color "smudges" on the cover where, if you look closely, you can make out a partial fingerprint. It appears that the smudges must have been made when the ink was not yet dry since they match the color of the surrounding inks (red in one area and yellow in another), so I'm guessing the book was handled by someone right off the press. I wish I could post scans to show you but the areas are so faint I am certain they would not show up...heck, I only found them because it is ASM 129 and I was looking at it about as closely as humanly possible!

Has anyone seen anything like this before (I couldn't find any references on the Production Defect thread), and how do you think this would affect the grade?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

No such thing, at least that I've seen identified a "production fingerprints". And for good reason, as any tyke's sweaty fingers produce that effect and it's quite common on mid-grade books.

Wow...so you think it is just from a reader? There really isn't much wear on the comic so I'm betting it has only been read a few times. It seems weird that whatever they had on their hands would make the ink smudge...but hey, I'm no expert! I know it is sight unseen, but do you think it could still pull a 7 or 7.5 if they were very minor and the rest of the book was a solid 8.0?

Wow...so you think it is just from a reader? There really isn't much wear on the comic so I'm betting it has only been read a few times. It seems weird that whatever they had on their hands would make the ink smudge...

It's called SWEAT and when 1970's comics were on the shelf, it was easy to get ink on your hands.

Remember, Bronze comics were like newspapers today, cheaply produced, mass-market consumables, not the high-end graphic novel format we have today.

As for the grade, it would be impossible without large scans to go by.

Well, [embarrasing lack of self control]..."production defect" sure as heck sounded a lot better to me than SWEATY FINGERPRINTS!

I'll try and post scans tonight to get your opinions on grade...

Try "greasy paws" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Quite a common defect (considering they ARE comic books) Almost as common as chocolate ice cream stains, but not quite . . . wink.gif

Could be from someone eating also. I have seen a few spideys like this, if it is small like one or two finger smudge, I don't think it would make much difference to the grade.

screwy.gif Yeah - only a point or two . . .